Lightning Rodder banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Pilsung
380 Posts
I dont have side clearance problems. I have hardware length problems. Lol. What i had wld fit, the threads just would not go all the way through the deep nut. And i would prefer tjey do for strength reasons. Heres some pics with them mostly on. No inner hardware yet but its on the way. View attachment 538048 View attachment 538049
I thought the oem u-bolts were 1/2-20?
5/8x3.5x7.5 seems to fit from your pics
I recently got the Stiffler’s tbars and I am looking into replacing the u-bolts.
Good timing here for me lol.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I thought the oem u-bolts were 1/2-20?
5/8x3.5x7.5 seems to fit from your pics
I recently got the Stiffler’s tbars and I am looking into replacing the u-bolts.
Good timing here for me lol.
Im not sure about the factory u bolts. I think they are metric. The ones i took out are the ones that come with the stifflers t bars i think....???? now that u mention it cause i think they are 1/2x20. If u r gona do the t bars i wld go ahead and do the new spring plates. But u will need new hardware like me. Lol. U can get the wfo plates or the ones i linked. Pretty much the same except shipping was like cheaper from amazon for the ones i got.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Nice! The grade 8 bolts that stifflers sends with the kit stuck through the bottom bracket like maybe a 1/4 - 1/2 inch.(edit.. they werent long enuf to suit me beacuse of the new spring plates. Not because of stifflers product.) The deep nut didnt want to go far enuf to be flush with mine so i ordered some 9/16 flat U bolts i hope will work. I like em to be flush or even have a few threads past the nut. Maybe urs will be dif. Just given ya a heads up????

Reactions: P_Franko03

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #45

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Got to work on the truck again today for a while. I ended up takin the advice i was givin and started to rework the rear shock angle. To attempt an get the most out of my strange shocks i worked the top alot batting around ideas. Still have some work to do but decided to make life easier i wld extend the bottom shock mounts to simplify and and help the shock angle as a whole(top of shock forward, bottom of shock backwards) to help get it as straight up and down as i can. So these are my bottom shock mounts i made out of some 1/4"x 2" flat stock my dad had. After i get the holes drilled im going to weld them on the axle housing and factory shock mounts for strenght. The mounts must be some kind of stainless because i have yet to find a drill bit that wld go through it. I made a small dimple is about it and that was with 4 or 5 dif kinds of bits. Idk?‍♂. My mounts look like they will move the bottom of the shock down and back 1.5 inches in both directions. And then the real work on the top can resume. Thanks to everybody that has given postive comments and help. On to the pics.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Made it out for a min to check my new flat u bolts. They fit perfect other than being a lil long. I opted for the longer just incase as i can cut the extra off if need be but i dont have a bolt stretcher or know anyone around that does either. Lol???. So anyway they are ready to tighten up when i get some time. Had to use a lil persuation to get them in but slid the rest no problems. They are 9/16. 3.5 x 8.25 inches. The 7.25 might have worked but oh well. Heres a cple of picks of em just not tightened up

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Got the U bolts tightened up yesterday. Prolly sld have gotten the semi round U bolts we will see later. I got my panhard bar bracket made today for the rearend. Because of my C notch and boxing in the frame my bronco beater panhard bar wldnt work. I moved the mounting hole left bout and 1.75 inches and will have to cut the frame side bracket and weld it to my C notch. It was close the way he made it(because of my boxed frame) and i wanted most of the adjustability from it is why i modified it. My new mount requires a new longer bolt cause i used a cple of grade 8 washers to space it out and because i made my rearend mount outnof 1/4 instead of the original 1/8th inch thickness. He makes em 1/4 inch now i think?. Any way here is where i am with it. I sld be able to finish my shock mounts next weekend and this also.... i hope.??. I also need to notch the bottom bed rails where this goes and above the fuel hat so i will get to that in a few weeks. Heres a cple of pics. Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Ok, i finished my panhard bar today. Pretty happy i can check another part off the list. I welded a 3/8 spacer on in place of the washers. I postioned the frame side about 3/4 of an inch high in favor of it coming down some with the weight of the truck. Heres some pics of it done. The bracket that came with it vs mine that i modified. And the finished project. Tm i hope to get my lower shock moumts welded up.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Worked on the truck again for a bit today. I got the lower shock mounts finished.
I also got my long bar stops welded on so it sld prevent the long bar brackets from ever slippin on the axle. 1 inch tall 3/8 thick and 2.5 inches wide.

I also got a look at the upper shock mount situation. From what i figure if i can keep it still till i get new side plates made and bolted in, then what i have will work. I located the height in the middle of the shock. Then postioned it where i wanted it to be and used some clamps to hold it in place. I ended up with the shocks being close to 65 degrees from the axle( stock seems to be somewhere between 45-55). I sld have full shock travel and some where around 1/2 inch clearance from the bottom of the bed. Over all this will work perfect as i have improved the shock angle and can still use my strange adjustable shocks and still have full travel.

The hammer im holding is close to factory shock angle for ref.
The top of the 2 plates is where the lowest point of the bed will be. I have to use a 1/4 inch spacer on the shock stud so it will not protrude upward to far and hit the bed. It will leave me about 1/2 inch clearance above the stud for a wrench or otherwise.

·
11.42 @119.87 Stock Block
2,872 Posts
Very nice work I am enjoying your thread

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Very nice work I am enjoying your thread
Thank you very much.👍👍👍 Its nice to know somebody is looking at all this and not just shaking their head. Lol.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Small update, got all of the metal work done i think. I hung all of em up and put 2 heavy coats of chassis saver on em. While i was waiting in between coats i put hoses on my gas tank vents. They are infact a 1 way check valve, in the event of a roll over they will shut. I "t'd" the 2 vents together with a stainless T fitting and then ran it up and zip tied it to the fill tube vent and filler neck with a small filter on top. Hopefully tm i can get all of parts i made put on for the last( at least for a long) time. Didnt get any pics of parts cept the filtered neck for the vents on the gas tank. Hopefully get some pics of finished parts on truck tm.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Nice work, Shock angle is really good.
👍
Thank u sir!

Ok got all of em on today with all grade 8 hardware. All 5/8's except the 2 bolts going through the shackles and those are 1/2 inch. Bolt washer frame washer, loc washer and nut. Also all fine thread. Heres a couple of pics. I only cleaned and coated the frame at the contact points for now. Next chance i get im goin to clean and pressure wash the back half of the frame before coatimg the rest in chassis saver. After that i have stifflers rear brake line kit im gona be putting on, and also deleteing the abs and adding in my line loc. Next weekend before washing i hope to get my stifflers transmission cross member installed. Its up on jack stands waiting already. Heres a couple pics of my mostly finished back end.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Great work! Definitely one of a kind and even better that you did it all yourself!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Small update, got my Stifflers trans brace installed. Got tires back on and set it on the ground. I cut the stock one out so i didnt have to remove my x brace. Lol. Got to get another can of chassis saver cause the other can set up. Oops. Lol. Pressure wash and paint will be next. Comin along slowly.

Reactions: B4Thunder03

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
10,394 Posts
Nice! The grade 8 bolts that stifflers sends with the kit stuck through the bottom bracket like maybe a 1/4 - 1/2 inch.(edit.. they werent long enuf to suit me beacuse of the new spring plates. Not because of stifflers product.) The deep nut didnt want to go far enuf to be flush with mine so i ordered some 9/16 flat U bolts i hope will work. I like em to be flush or even have a few threads past the nut. Maybe urs will be dif. Just given ya a heads up????
In aircraft applications, you are required to have threads protrude through the nut at least two threads, but no more than four. No thread protrusion is a weak spot, bolts and nuts are not holding to their full value without threads protruding from the nut/nutplate. It's very smart to go for new hardware to get that protrusion. I'm also OCD in that. And it is OCD. LMAO!!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Ok, finally got some time to work on the truck. Got it out yesterday and power washed frame after spraying and let purple power set for a bit. Blowed it all dry with leaf blower and put it up. Got to put the chassis saver onb it to day. Wow what a job. Got it on my arm and it wont come off. Blah any way heres where im at. B4 and after pics. Next will be stifflers rear brake lines and then for the front , abs delete and addin in my line lock.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts