Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i took it upon myself to do some work on the back of my truck. Put a game plan together in my head and then it kind of snowballed. Lol. In the end i think itll all be worth it. So here is all/everything ive got goin on. This has took me a while and still working on it but i thought i wld share my progress so far.
1. I decide to remove the bed and install a c-notch for clearance.
2. I wanted to make it stronger than just bolt on so i will be cutting and boxing in the frame and welding all of it in the area of the c-notch plus bolting on with 1/2" grade 8 hardware. Heres some pics so far but its long from finished.

3. I wanted to make a battery tray/ k-brace. Problem was i wanted it tucked higher than the factory x brace wld allow.
4. Removed factory x brace. Fabbed a new brace for just the top of the rear. Fastened with 5/8 grade 8 hardware.

5. I wanted to flip the pass shock to face backwards like the drivers side. (Been on the list for a long time) so i cut off and rewelded the pass side shock mount.
6. Made new upper shock mount because i removed the factory x brace .

7. I wanted to also shorten my endnlinks for the rear antisway bar to sit closer to level like its suppose to instead of like at a 45 degree angle.

So thats where im at in my project. I will be starting the design of the battery box/ k-brace hopefully in the next few weeks. And i will also be installing stifflers trans member to match the spyder brace and long bars and upper andnlower control arms. I think ive got every piece he makes for our trucks except brake lines. Lol. Let me know what yall think. Here some more progress pics and randoms i took along the way. Thanks for looking.

Here is somewhat where my battery will be. It sld end up higher but close. My jack ran out of travel. Lol.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More pics. 10 per post limit.
rough sketch of my plans

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also have new 3/8 springnplates and u bolts on the way. I deleted my evap system. No gas smell at all from just tank. And i have a wire kit i made to upgrade the wiring to the fuel pumps and also battery remote terminals to mount inside the bed.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not a great amount. Maybe like 15-20 lbs? And incase anyone was wondering i have chassis saver to puy on everything after i get it all finalized. To keep rust and smoot away. Lol

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The shocks really arent laid back much from the factory location. I moved them back a couple of inches to put the shock in the middle of its travel. I understand what you are saying CD, but hopefully i didnt move them back enough to make a huge dif in their effectivness.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The shocks really arent laid back much from the factory location. I moved them back a couple of inches to put the shock in the middle of its travel. I understand what you are saying CD, but hopefully i didnt move them back enough to make a huge dif in their effectivness.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice! I like the watts link. I might look it to this instead of just my panhard bar. If you have any tips or info let me know.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Any issues with the driveshaft hitting the brace under the bed? Mine will over slightly harder bumps. Looks like you have very little clearance like I do.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No. It seems to have plenty. Idk hiw people are getting so close with the driveshaft to anything really. I mean mines is up some but it doesnt move rhat much at the transmission ends. Here is a pic of mine

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
61 Posts
That’s
No. It seems to have plenty. Idk hiw people are getting so close with the driveshaft to anything really. I mean mines is up some but it doesnt move rhat much at the transmission ends. Here is a pic of mine View attachment 537656
That’s what I thought, mine is not even C-notched and it’ll smack the driveshaft. Not sure how more guys lowered don’t have the same issue. I’ll end up trimming a bit to add some more room.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Thanks!
I bought the Watts link from Whiteline, fits a Mustang 8.8, modified the kit to fit my F150

And the obviously custom welding the down brackets
Are you using an 8.8 out of an F150 or mustang or do you still have the 9.75?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Small update for anybody checkin in. Got my holes drilled in the 3/8 plate for the shackle mounta and got everything fitted up welded and grinded to attempt to make the finish nicer after i get everything powder coated. Gona use the chassis saver on just the under side and the rest of the frame. This is just the back hitch mounts and shackle mounts. I didnt have time to finish the battery tray, the "k part" or the front legs. Maybe next weekend i hope. on to the pics.

Reactions: 49FordLighting

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So i got the battery tray fabbed up and the frobt moubts done. All welded and ready for piwder coat. Im pretty happy with it. I know my welding cld be better but oh well i did it all myself, so im proud of it.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Another update. Got the c notch welded in. Again im not a welder by trade so im still learning. But i think it ended up pretty good and strong. Tm i hope to get some 1/4 inch plate cut and fitted so i can also box in the frame where the c notch is.
i also have grade 8 washers, bolts loc washers and nylon inserted nuts so i sldnt have to worry about any bolts coming out.

Reactions: 49FordLighting
1 - 20 of 66 Posts