Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm helping a buddy bring a 2000 Lightning back to life. It's a 2000 that was originally red but was repainted an emerald green.

It's a 297,000 mile truck that seems pretty original and stock. Only mod I have seen so far is an open cone air filter. Engine appears to be the original and never touched. Even still has the 2000 sticker on the driver side valve cover. Seats are totally roached. Paint is presentable and it has a set of 20" "Players" wheels on it. It has the 2001 LED 3rd brakelight and taillights.

He bought it fairly cheap. It did not run and is missing the lower crank pulley for the supercharger. One of the spark pug COPS is sticking up and being held by folded cardboard under the fuel rail. I suspect that spark plug may have stripped threads in the head.

We did get it to run a few days ago. It runs rough and I suspect bad gas is one issue along with spark plugs and various other maintenance issues. Probably needs a timing chain too. With no blower belt I thought it funny to watch the blower pulley spin from the force of air going in.

So here are a few plans and questions.

1. This Lightning has the later harmonic balancer with the built in drive spud for the caged lower bower pulley, not the early one that bolts on with 3 bolts. The internal threads are damaged on the spud drive. From some other marks in the engine compartment it's possible the cage and pulley came off the engine while it was running. So the plan is to get a LFP "0" pound stock diameter lower pulley ring and adapter to get it running better and start some trouble shooting. Any thoughts or better ideas?

2. A local U pull it is having an engine sale and I am pulling a 2003 Expedition 5.4 2V engine for $100. It was built in May 2003 so it should have 8 thread heads and an NVH block. Won't know till later if it has a forged crank. Possible plan is borescope the engine cylinders, change the timing chain and run it until he has the funds to do a better engine. With stock boost its should be OK.

3. I understand to use the idler pulley bridge on a NA F150/Expedition cover spacers will be needed. Unfortunately the posts I have found about spacer length relied on Photobucket pictures which can no longer be seen. Can anyone help with lengths or a post I missed with better information?

And yes I know, I need to add pictures LOL. I forgot to take some and the truck is 30 miles away so will be a few days.

·
Registered
144 Posts
it sounds like a decent project, and its none of my business but why not save a bit more for something in better shape? or the money you are using to rebuild this will easily cost as much as a decent truck

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it sounds like a decent project, and its none of my business but why not save a bit more for something in better shape? or the money you are using to rebuild this will easily cost as much as a decent truck

I know what you are saying but someone needs to save this truck!
I agree by the time my buddy gets this running and looking good it won't be cheap anymore but he has found a few good deals already for it.

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,542 Posts
I'm helping a buddy bring a 2000 Lightning back to life. It's a 2000 that was originally red but was repainted an emerald green.

It's a 297,000 mile truck that seems pretty original and stock. Only mod I have seen so far is an open cone air filter. Engine appears to be the original and never touched. Even still has the 2000 sticker on the driver side valve cover. Seats are totally roached. Paint is presentable and it has a set of 20" "Players" wheels on it. It has the 2001 LED 3rd brakelight and taillights.

He bought it fairly cheap. It did not run and is missing the lower crank pulley for the supercharger. One of the spark pug COPS is sticking up and being held by folded cardboard under the fuel rail. I suspect that spark plug may have stripped threads in the head.

We did get it to run a few days ago. It runs rough and I suspect bad gas is one issue along with spark plugs and various other maintenance issues. Probably needs a timing chain too. With no blower belt I thought it funny to watch the blower pulley spin from the force of air going in.

So here are a few plans and questions.

1. This Lightning has the later harmonic balancer with the built in drive spud for the caged lower bower pulley, not the early one that bolts on with 3 bolts. The internal threads are damaged on the spud drive. From some other marks in the engine compartment it's possible the cage and pulley came off the engine while it was running. So the plan is to get a LFP "0" pound stock diameter lower pulley ring and adapter to get it running better and start some trouble shooting. Any thoughts or better ideas?
adding the ability to make boost won't help trouble shoot a motor that won't idle

and it sounds like the motor was pullied, blown and had some parts yanked off

2. A local U pull it is having an engine sale and I am pulling a 2003 Expedition 5.4 2V engine for $100. It was built in May 2003 so it should have 8 thread heads and an NVH block. Won't know till later if it has a forged crank. Possible plan is borescope the engine cylinders, change the timing chain and run it until he has the funds to do a better engine. With stock boost its should be OK.

3. I understand to use the idler pulley bridge on a NA F150/Expedition cover spacers will be needed. Unfortunately the posts I have found about spacer length relied on Photobucket pictures which can no longer be seen. Can anyone help with lengths or a post I missed with better information?
is said spacer missing from the motor in the truck currently?

And yes I know, I need to add pictures LOL. I forgot to take some and the truck is 30 miles away so will be a few days.
:stoffer:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
adding the ability to make boost won't help trouble shoot a motor that won't idle

and it sounds like the motor was pullied, blown and had some parts yanked off

is said spacer missing from the motor in the truck currently?

:stoffer:
Thanks for the advice Stoffer.

We've just started working on this truck and need to do some basic maintenance. I'm thinking plugs, COP's, check fuel pressure and timing.

I hadn't considered this truck had a crank pulley swap. I'll investigate.

The spacers I was talking about were the one's needed with a stock, non-supercharged F-150 timing cover from what I understand. Was considering just putting a stock NA longblock in this truck.

And I did pull that 2003 Expediton 5.4 yesterday. May 03 engine build date so it should have 8 thread heads and an NVH block.
My back is a bit sore this morning LOL.

·
Cogswell Cogs
3,383 Posts
The best of luck putting another one back on the road.

I miss the "U-pull / Pick & Pull" places.. Regulations / liability killed that off around here.
:frown2:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The best of luck putting another one back on the road.

I miss the "U-pull / Pick & Pull" places.. Regulations / liability killed that off around here.
:frown2:

Yeah $125 (half price right now on $200 engine and $25 core) for a complete engine with 8 thread heads and an NVH block is a good deal.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,542 Posts
Apparently some F150 covers are the same and some aren't. Here's a post with pictures. I just found this one, I had thought spacers were needed for the pulley bridge but apparently it's the idler pulley stand offs for the accessories drive belt.

http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum/14-gen-2-lightnings/100267-timing-cover-swap-2.html

the "spacer" is between the bolt and the timing cover

the same folks also tell you that when swapping the supercharger setup to a n/a vehicle you also need the ecm...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No updates because my friend is down with the flu AGAIN. He did pick ups some 2003-04 Lightning wheels to replace the "Players" LOL and just found a set of center caps in decent shape too.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Sir,
The thing lost in all this, is your buddy is VERY fortunate to have a friend dedicated to helping as you are ! I applaud you sir!! Encourage him to become a member of LR !!!

Keith

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sir,
The thing lost in all this, is your buddy is VERY fortunate to have a friend dedicated to helping as you are ! I applaud you sir!! Encourage him to become a member of LR !!!

Keith
I agree, I am very fortunate to have the help of a good friend!!!! Yessir, this is my "new to me" truck and hopefully we will have "Elvis" back on the road soon. At Sonic's advise, I've ordered new ignition coils and new spark plugs. Hopefully, I will have them installed this weekend. We were able to get the truck started last week and we smelled a lot of fuel. I checked the oil yesterday and there appears to be gas in the oil. We plan on installing the ignition coils, plugs and checking fuel pressure before we proceed. I'll drain the oil and refill before we try to start it again.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Here is where the lower pulley attaches. It looks like some of the threads are missing on the edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 42 Posts