Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and happy labor day.

I am planning my winter projects for my 1999L and one of them is to fix a very small area of rot in my passenger door. My brother works for an area body shop and he said I might be better off finding a new door. He said patching will just rust again and when I start grinding that small spot will become a much larger issue.

So questions:

1 - New Old stock Still available? Anyone have a part number?
2 - Is the door the same as a standard F-150?
3 - Is the1999-2000 different from 2001 to 2004?

Thank you all!

Attachments

·
10 second street truck
12,840 Posts
Door is a standard door. If i recall crew cab doors are different.
Highly unlikely you'll find a door new.
Door card is different than standard as are a few bits on the later doors(handle) but anything can be swapped since you're just looking for the main door structure.

·
Registered
495 Posts
gonna recommend fixing the door if the rust is minor
a good southern door might be better than an aftermarket replacement even if it has some extra dings

it will at least be a ford part

the black coating on the aftermarket stuff has to be removed so the paint will actually stick

fixing your door saves both disassembling / reassembling & painting the entire door ,jambs included

whatever you do ,when done either get some oil based rust protestant / inhibitor (crown or rust check in canada are good names (REALLY GOOD) (spray can)
or simply pour a 1/2 cup of clean motor oil (dino) in the bottoms of both doors
(yeah it'll drip and make a mess for a little while)

in 96 I broadsided an areostar van that tried to turn across my path ..it was a neighbor down the street .. did 16K in damage to the van
I watched over the next 3 years driving past and saw the side they fixed completely rot out in that short time
the black coating on the replacement parts is no help without the rust inhibitor in the bottom seams of the doors

rust inhibiting "etching" primer is a must have

there are no aftermarket doors for crew cab as I have read someplace

also going to recommend looking at the rest of the truck .. especially the rad cradle where it attaches to the frame and the back side of the rockers..if really rusty it might not be worth the effort ..

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will probably remove the door to paint it so I have no issues doing the jambs. I am afraid that the little rust spot will turn into a larger issue. I havent decided yet, since shipping from a down south boneyeard is very expensive.

·
Registered
495 Posts
here in toronto I've been looking for another truck for going on ten years
I've come to know the "pattern" they follow as they rust

that's why I say look at the rest of the truck to see what condition the rest in in .. then decide if the door is a problem or if you should simply "use 'er up" the rest of the way

the underside of my truck is a gonner ..but my doors don't look so bad......

there's absolutely no point in fixing a door if the cab mounts are going to be toast in 3 more years

if the truck in mint elsewhere and the door is the only issue then of course .. fix it .

on anything late 1980's and up a little outer body rust usually means really nasty things are happening below as the outer body stands up a lot better than 60's and 70's junk that rotted in 3-5 years

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you very much for your feedback. I appreciate it. My truck is in great condition the only rust is in the door front bottom corners. The drivers side didn't rust through but the passenger side did. Very small area, maybe 1 - 2 inches. I will take your advise and try to repair it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts