Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Even Then I Was Old Skool!
10,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never trailered my truck and I know dozens of you guys have. A quick question. Is there a specific size needed to haul a Lightning because of weight, length, or width?

The guy who's buying my truck intends to rent a van and trailer to drive up from New York and bring it home. Any advice on the trailer or even who to rent from, plus tying down (just saw Frank's thread) would be appreciated.

Mike

·
Stock block 11 second club
10,556 Posts
U-Haul is the only company that will rent trailers for our trucks. Budget only rents their trailers when rent one of their moving trucks.

·
Believing Believer
2,179 Posts
Yea, the uhaul car hauler works fine.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Automotive tire

Towed mine from south Louisiana to LaGrange, Ga. No problems. They do not have trailer brakes though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
10,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
570 Posts
What I learned when I bought my truck.

This pertains to U-hall trailers only.

Older style trailer:
Small, medium and large with a rating of 6K, 7K and 7.5K. They are all different widths with the smaller one being the narrowest and working your way up. I believe these are the orange trailers.

Newer style trailer:
All the same widths but with a rating of 6K, 7K and 7.5K. They still refer to them as small, medium and large. These are referred to as the silver trailers.

Want you want is the newer style trailer with a 7.5k rating. I was given an older 6K trailer and the tires were up against the rails with the back wheels on the rails. I called and traded this trailer in on a newer style trailer with a 7.5K load rating and you have ample room on each side.

Hope this helps.

·
10,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I learned when I bought my truck.

This pertains to U-hall trailers only.

Older style trailer:
Small, medium and large with a rating of 6K, 7K and 7.5K. They are all different widths with the smaller one being the narrowest and working your way up. I believe these are the orange trailers.

Newer style trailer:
All the same widths but with a rating of 6K, 7K and 7.5K. They still refer to them as small, medium and large. These are referred to as the silver trailers.

Want you want is the newer style trailer with a 7.5k rating. I was given an older 6K trailer and the tires were up against the rails with the back wheels on the rails. I called and traded this trailer in on a newer style trailer with a 7.5K load rating and you have ample room on each side.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.... I told the guy that I'd do a little research for him bc I know some people have issues with the width. I'm also a little concerned about getting her up onto the trailer only bc the nose is so low.

Mike

·
Believing Believer
2,179 Posts
Any problem with loading my 3"/4" drop on the UHaul?

I think my truck may have been as low or lower than that. Idk if it make a difference, but I drove my truck onto the trailer while it was hooked up to the truck already...it didn't run anything. I had 295's all around and I had about an inch of spare space on each side.

·
Aka 2003_lightning
12,215 Posts
Mike you know I have the equipment to get it done I'm sure I could work sow thing out with the buyer for you

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
U can not get on the oranges ones u need a silver one the biggest they make.

·
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
14,677 Posts
get the biggest they make, and when you load it, crank the front of the trailer up as far as you can go (hooked to the tow rig), to make the angle less as steep when it crests over the ramps.

May need to jack the front up, shove a 2x4 block or two between the coils, drive it onto the trailer, then jack it up again and pull the blocks out lol. That'll certainly work for a temporary "lift" kit to get the front end up haha

Reactions: Throttle Jockey

·
10,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mike you know I have the equipment to get it done I'm sure I could work sow thing out with the buyer for you
Tim...

I'll pass on all the good advice everyone's giving me. He's renting a van and a trailer because he's taking the extra hood, 4 mounted 2001 wheels, bumper, California cover, original exhaust headers, original fan/water pump/fan shield. I can't fit everything in the bed.

As far as transport goes... I'll keep you in mind LOL if I find anything down from Jersey to MD. If I have to transport a car back here since Massachusetts does not issue temporary plates. Thank you for the offer.

Still hard to believe its going but like I said earlier... I'll believe it more when I have the balance in hand in the bank and verified LOL. Truck is not moving down my driveway until that happens and the buyer agrees.

Mike

·
10,556 Posts
get the biggest they make, and when you load it, crank the front of the trailer up as far as you can go (hooked to the tow rig), to make the angle less as steep when it crests over the ramps.

Mike, I also recommend raising the front of the trailer as Josh explained. Belle has a 2/4 drop and I didn't have any issues loading/unloading her. I never considered Josh's suggestion of putting blocks in the coils for added height, what a simple and great idea.

I wasn't aware of the different color U-Haul trailers but as you can see I also had one of their silver trailers. As you can see in Micah's picture the driver side fender lays down for additional door clearance. This feature is handier than toilet paper. I once hauled Belle on a trailer with fixed railings so I had to go in and out of the beer window. At 200 lbs. I looked like a baby rhino being born.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Pickup truck

·
Bracket maker
3,982 Posts
Mike,
Two additional things to note. When you go to rent the trailer, they will ask you what you plan to tow the truck with. I had a regular cab Short wheel base F150 and they would not rent to me because the towing truck needs to weigh more than the truck being towed even if the towing truck is rated to two the load.

2nd, I did have a bad experience towing a lightning on one of the smaller Uhauls. The side fenders were close and I secured the truck using their straps... Over the front tires only. This left the suspension to float a little and I saw some mild rubbing from the trailer fenders on one side of the ground effects. It's not a problem with their larger trailer but I had to work with the trailer they had on hand that day.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Mike,
Two additional things to note. When you go to rent the trailer, they will ask you what you plan to tow the truck with. I had a regular cab Short wheel base F150 and they would not rent to me because the towing truck needs to weigh more than the truck being towed even if the towing truck is rated to two the load.
THIS. Tell them you are towing a focus or fiesta.

·
10,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm pretty sure the buyer said he plans to rent a truck and trailer combo. He's taking my extra OEM hood, OEM bumper, four OEM wheels/mounted, rear storage tray, the OEM fan, water pump, fan shield... can't possibly fit everything in the bed plus he has some kind of little Buick SUV that could maybe tow a jet ski but not the truck.

He's responsible for the tow package I only offered to do a little research and advise him. Lotta good stuff you guys are coming up with, especially that one with the fender drop-down. BTW, when you rent a car carrier trailer from UHaul do they give you the right amount of tie down straps?

·
Believing Believer
2,179 Posts
They give you the two straps for the front tires and the rest is chains. If you want to strap down anything on the rear end you need your own straps. Another thing I did was let some of the air out of my fronts so that I made sure I got a down tightening with those straps.

·
10,556 Posts
I'm pretty sure the buyer said he plans to rent a truck and trailer combo. He's taking my extra OEM hood, OEM bumper, four OEM wheels/mounted, rear storage tray, the OEM fan, water pump, fan shield... can't possibly fit everything in the bed plus he has some kind of little Buick SUV that could maybe tow a jet ski but not the truck.

He's responsible for the tow package I only offered to do a little research and advise him. Lotta good stuff you guys are coming up with, especially that one with the fender drop-down. BTW, when you rent a car carrier trailer from UHaul do they give you the right amount of tie down straps?

Caution him against renting from anywhere but U-Haul, as I mentioned earlier U-Haul has a trailer able to tow a Lightning based on the weight. If he goes through Hertz, Budget, etc. he will have to lie about the vehicle being hauled as blacktop mentioned which opens him up to liability in the event something goes wrong during transport since insurance coverage will be nullified. Unfortunately U-Haul is PROUD of their car haulers. IIRC I spent $800 for a four day rental when I returned to Cali in 2013. If time permitted I would have paid extra and owned a trailer.

The U-Haul car hauler I rented had tire nets for the front tires. Look at the pic I posted earlier and you can see them. The tire nets are very convenient and make it easy to secure the front of the vehicle. I wasn't comfortable towing Belle 1,200 miles using only the chains provided on the U-Haul trailer for the rear so I bought automotive tie straps (4" width IIRC)..

·
Believing Believer
2,179 Posts
Caution him against renting from anywhere but U-Haul, as I mentioned earlier U-Haul has a trailer able to tow a Lightning based on the weight. If he goes through Hertz, Budget, etc. he will have to lie about the vehicle being hauled as blacktop mentioned which opens him up to liability in the event something goes wrong during transport since insurance coverage will be nullified. Unfortunately U-Haul is PROUD of their car haulers. IIRC I spent $800 for a four day rental when I returned to Cali in 2013. If time permitted I would have paid extra and owned a trailer.

The U-Haul car hauler I rented had tire nets for the front tires. Look at the pic I posted earlier and you can see them. The tire nets are very convenient and make it easy to secure the front of the vehicle. I wasn't comfortable towing Belle 1,200 miles using only the chains provided on the U-Haul trailer for the rear so I bought automotive tie straps (4" width IIRC)..

I paid a couple dollars less than $200 for my uhaul trailer plus $10k worth of insurance and was able to have it for 4 days. Sounds like you got ripped brother. It would have been even less if I were returning it where I picked it up by I dropped it off where I met the buyer for my truck. Had the costs of the worse fuel mileage not been a problem and the added hassle of towing an empty trailer not been to consider, I would've towed it back home and got an even better price.

·
10,556 Posts
Sounds like you got ripped brother.
San Antonio to San Diego. Not exactly feasible to return to the location I rented from either. I don't deny I got ripped but according to the experiences shared by other members the charges I incurred were on-par with what they paid. I assume different U-Haul franchises charge differently, or maybe the transport distance is factored in :smt102. I would have gladly paid an extra $500-$1,000 and bought a trailer, I just didn't have the time to wire one for lighting and used trailers I found didn't meet my needs.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts