Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone point me to a thread kn how to remove the engine off my lightning?

local painter
If you take it out from the top without removing the cab be sure to back out the 3 accelerator pedal bolts flush with the firewall or else you will need a new driver side valve cover. 馃憤馃徎

Registered
Ive done it a a couple times on my old truck.. no easy task. the torque converter bolts stripped and I had to pull it out with the converter. didn't have any issues with valve covers or backing out accelerator bolts. It definitely can be done without removing the cab. Pull the radiator out, remove the accessories from motor. unhook lines etc. starter/ torque converter, bell housing bolts. Harmonic balancer/ s/c pulley. I don't think I removed the exhaust manifolds from the block but its been a long time since ive done it. (12 years id say)

Registered
I've done mine twice. Both times out of the top without removing the front clip. Besides the normal tedium of removing components, I recommend pulling the balancer if you can and put a piece of cardboard over the a/c condenser. It is very tight coming out. Also be careful lifting because you always forget a wire. I'm not sure you can do it this way without a load leveler on the hoist. Double check you have enough head room for your hoist or you'll be lowering the truck from under the engine like I did most recently. It's a game of reverse Tetris to get it out, and I think both times I've had to pull the oil cooler as it won't clear the crossmember. Nothing is particularly difficult, just tedious. Getting the header bolts out is probably the single biggest pain.

Converted
Use a 1x4 to support the transmission once the engine out. Cut down broom handle works good for supporting the hood once you've removed the hood shocks to get the hood up a couple more degrees. Just tell her it broke trying to use it as a pry bar. Also, it looks like I removed the turkey pan, but left the A/C and radiator in the engine bay from the pictures I found, The more you remove, the easier it gets. Fender covers are a cheap investment. Get someone to help you & take your time. About a dozen pics of the pull here about 2/3's of the way down.

Here's a good thread shortly after I pulled mine I found...

Registered
IIRC you'll need a bigger engine hoist. I ended up using some square stock to extend the one I had out to get enough reach. Pull blower, leave lower manifold. I used two bolts and a chain across where the s/c bolts down. I completely removed the hood I believe. I got my motor out with the torque converter stuck on the flywheel and the harmonic balancer still on (had to spin the motor sideways a bit to get it out) But I would strongly recommend removing the harmonic balancer and obviously the torque converter (I couldnt- had a stripped nut I couldn't get undone- probably could have with the right tool however) When putting it back in I'd strongly recommend replacing the transmission front pump seal with a Viton (recommended by Paul of punisher valve bodies). Make sure the torque converter is fully seated (should be three "clicks")- or approximately 5/8 of an inch recessed. Also one time I had the shop put the motor back in.. turned into a nightmare. They put the alternator lead on the same post as the starter lead... which in turn cooked the starter. They never tightened the lower intake manifold bolts.. which created several problems. They stripped the ground strap to the motor.. take detailed pictures, label things.. a shop manual couldn't hurt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts