Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
SOLD...
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a used reichard racing tensioner the pully it came with is smooth and not grooved like stock? Should I be running this pully or switch it to the stock one?

I also need to trim out some clearance for the tenstioner here..... Is this normal? Just making sure....

All in all I like it. Just want to make sure I'm using the right pully on it.

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,542 Posts
I have not seen anyone happy without running a grooved pulley on the tensioner...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yeah, get rid of that piece of junk...

Send it my way COD. :)

·
Whipple Powered!
938 Posts
You might have belt tracking issues with the smooth pulley. The stock one should fit on there if need be. It wouldn't hurt to try it before trying to get a ribbed one though. The bracket does need to be notched as well to fit the reichard piece.

·
SOLD...
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You might have belt tracking issues with the smooth pulley. The stock one should fit on there if need be. It wouldn't hurt to try it before trying to get a ribbed one though. The bracket does need to be notched as well to fit the reichard piece.
What pully is on your tensioner, grooved or smooth?

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
The belts grooves rest on the tensioner pulley, i would run the grooved lipped one.

·
Whipple Powered!
938 Posts
I am using the one that came with it like the pic below from reichards site. The pulley on yours almost looks like a thummpr one not that it matters.

·
SOLD...
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats not the pully i got with the tensioner. I will switch it out to the stock pully for now. I wonder where I can get that ribbed pully from. I dont think Reichard makes anything like this anymore. I will call them and check. Does anyone know of another manufacture of the ribbed pully?

·
Registered
256 Posts
In all reality the tensioner shouldnt matter if its ribbed or not, but since I imagine you are putting some lbs of boost through that blower I would get a ribbed one if it were me. My buddy runs a procharger setup with 22lbs of boost and he had to switch to a ribbed tensioner at about 19lbs.

·
SOLD...
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The only problem i see using the smooth one is that the grooved side of the belt is going to ride on the smooth surface.... it might walk or wear the belt faster.

·
SOLD...
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I installed the tensioner last night with the stock grooved pully last night and its awesome.

Just one question... How tight do I need to make the belt. Its a manual tensioner(not spring assisted) and im not sure if i need to leave any slack in the belt or tighten the hell out of it. Not sure how to set it at this point. I do run a race upper with grooves so it cant slip easily.

Any input?

·
SOLD...
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds good, thanks for your help. I assume the spring assist just keeps tension on the belt and doesnt actually do anything after you lock the bolt down, right?

·
Whipple Powered!
938 Posts
The spring assist will keep constant tension on the belt in the case of belt stretch and supposed to dampen some vibrations. The manual will need to be checked periodically to maintain tension from belt stretch and wear.

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
9,494 Posts
Sorry to be opening up an old post. Early next year I'll be installing some cogs, and want to use one of these tensioners in place of the stocker. Obviously I'll be changing out the pulley for a cogged unit.

Anyone using one of these with cogs? How much tension is required when used with cogs? I would assume not as much, just enough to take up slack.

It appears that this unit is still available at a cost of $299.00. Is this true? I've e-mailed them, but have not heard back as of yet.

http://www.reichardracing.com/mustang_manual_tensionser.php

1 - 20 of 27 Posts