Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Put the wet stuff on the red stuff
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,..so in the midst of collecting parts for going fully built, I have become impatient and have decided to get my truck back on the road to enjoy those Sunday cruises and also as she is starting to succumb to the elements. I got this block a while back and have had it in storage as I have been working and finally decided to tear into it, to see if I had a possible replacement bottom end candidate.

*Note* I apologize in advance for a couple pics. I got a new phone case and it would auto focus very well.

First thing I decided to do was clean up the cylinders and check the cross hatching. I was told this block had somewhere around 30k miles on it. These cylinders seemed to clean up rather well and the cross hatching looks great.

Next I went ahead and checked all the bearings and the crank. I did find a a lightly marred rod bearing that I could catch with the finger tip and it left a wear mark on the crank but its completely smooth.

Then I came across Main Cap 2 and the bearing had some nasty chew to it but once again the crank was perfectly smooth.

I'm sort of perplexed as to what has happened because when I pulled Main Cap 1 its as if it has brand new bearings?

At this point I was asking a member some questions and was informed to check the oil pump off this motor to see if there was any trash in it and it came out clean.

So now I believe I can get by with having the crank polished, order new bearings and since I have this spare block already torn down, I think I'm going to get some forged rods and re balance the rotating assembly and let a rip. I'll have my truck back up and running and get to run some more boost and feel good about doing so :). Really not sure what limits I can push it to, but I plan to just run everything else stock with my ported eaton. I had contemplated instally my 2.3 whipple, pumps, and injs, but I may refrain.

·
Put the wet stuff on the red stuff
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Apparently word has slipped through the grapevine that i'm finally putting life back into my truck. It seems old grudges die hard. There is a friend of a buddy of mine who has a 2006 c6 that I beat several years ago. Back then the car was completely stock, well it seems when my truck is back up he wants a rematch. The mods I had when I ran him are as an still are, ported throttle body, ported eaton, 6lb lower, diablo maf, jlp cold air kit, ported plenum, and some borla cats.

Now this dude has full exhaust, a cam, and intake. Car is putting down 430ish hp so I'm told. Not sure how that is going to pan out. I sort of feel like being sneaky throwing these guys in there and not saying a word. Crank up the boost? Not sure how far I can really push the eaton.

I wonder if I can get around 500 or more if I can hold my own. Truck is stock weight, but I plan to remove the hitch, spare, and front sway bar.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts