Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Florida>Texas
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a problem in the rear end when only 1 tires spins? At the track I can get both to spin but on the street some times only 1 tire spins. Any body know the cause and the solution to fix this?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
The stock limited differential clutches are worn out. They can be replaced but it is just a matter of time before they fail again. The diffs thaty came in our truck work fine for light low powered vehicles but never last long on a L. Replace it with a Tru Trac for the best combination of traction and drivability. For absolute assurance that you will always have both tires turning you can choose a Detroit Locker or a spool but neither are as good in a DD or for autocross as a Tru Track.

Reactions: fruhdaddy

·
Mr. Crossfire
16,162 Posts

·
Florida>Texas
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys..I will start looking into it now. Does this problem cause any issues at the track like slower times or shitty 60' ?

·
Delvallo
2,229 Posts
dont forget if u also plan on rebuilding the stocker u must bring it to the ford dealer, a special tool is required to get the spiders out... put that into the cost of the rebuild along with parts, i was just shy the price of a brand new eaton!! i didnt know about it until it was too late, if i were to do it again, there would be a eaton tru track in the back of my truck right now!

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
Tru Trak alllll the way.

·
Florida>Texas
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im def gonna get the Tru Trak. My cousin is a Ford Tech and can help me with the special tool that will be needed. Not sure if this is the problem but lately at the track my 60' has gotten worse and also been sliding towards the wall. I know Im on street tires but my 60' have always been good and never had trouble sliding sideways.

·
NO RAGRETS!!!
12,123 Posts
I've burned though one set of clutches in my truck. I replaced them with factory clutches and have not had an issue for two years being in the mid 600hp range. That being said... I get the parts for free and I have the tools needed for the 9.75 carrier. If I had to pay for the swap I would go the TT route.

·
Florida>Texas
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've burned though one set of clutches in my truck. I replaced them with factory clutches and have not had an issue for two years being in the mid 600hp range. That being said... I get the parts for free and I have the tools needed for the 9.75 carrier. If I had to pay for the swap I would go the TT route.
Is the swap difficult? Is it like changing gears?

·
Florida>Texas
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what spline do we have? they have multiple options

·
Registered
258 Posts
Sorry to hijack, but why chose TT over a "Detroit Locker" for a DD vehicle? I hear the locker is very well mannered on the 9.75 (compared to other sizes), but have no practical experience.

While I don't race at all, I am at around 80k miles and only want to get into the differential once... And since it's just about that time for me, I wasn't sure which way to go since i wanted something extremely robust.

[smilie=3g

·
Florida>Texas
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry to hijack, but why chose TT over a "Detroit Locker" for a DD vehicle? I hear the locker is very well mannered on the 9.75 (compared to other sizes), but have no practical experience.

While I don't race at all, I am at around 80k miles and only want to get into the differential once... And since it's just about that time for me, I wasn't sure which way to go since i wanted something extremely robust.

[smilie=3g[/QUOTE]

According to its website its a Detroit Locker True-Trac

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
The Locker will put 100% of the power to whichever wheel is turning slowest then lock together when it catches up to the speed of the other tire. The new ones engage "soft" rather than feeling like slamming a manual transmission in gear without a clutch, but they still have a tendancy to get sideways easier when turning and accelerating. They are less likely than a tru track to ever spin one tire, but they are stll not as smooth and have less grip than a tru track when turning sharply while accelerating quickly (loie when you are pulling out of a parking lot quickly making a 90* turn while taking off quicky).

I currently have two trucks with Detroits and my L has a Tru track. Keep the Lockers in 4x4's and vehicles that are mainly for the track. Street vehicles drive better with a Tru track IMO.

·
Florida>Texas
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Locker will put 100% of the power to whichever wheel is turning slowest then lock together when it catches up to the speed of the other tire. The new ones engage "soft" rather than feeling like slamming a manual transmission in gear without a clutch, but they still have a tendancy to get sideways easier when turning and accelerating. They are less likely than a tru track to ever spin one tire, but they are stll not as smooth and have less grip than a tru track when turning sharply while accelerating quickly (loie when you are pulling out of a parking lot quickly making a 90* turn while taking off quicky).

I currently have two trucks with Detroits and my L has a Tru track. Keep the Lockers in 4x4's and vehicles that are mainly for the track. Street vehicles drive better with a Tru track IMO.

:bigtu

·
Florida>Texas
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also, anybody know what spline ours is? cannot find out. there are 3 spline options to choose from for the 9"

·
Retired Odderator
3,308 Posts

·
Florida>Texas
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you want the 9.75" NOT the 9"

$40 cheaper than jegs or summit and its a supporting vendor.

http://www.lightningforceperformanc...Trac_Rear_Differential_All_9.75_Rear_End.html

34 spline according to description.
I know its 9.75 just didnt feel like typing it. I seen the one on LFP and a few on the web at other places. Some said 28, 31, 34. Thats why I asked here to see what others put in theirs. Would hate to drop that kinda money only to have the wrong part. Im assuming its 34

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.