Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently in the process of finding a rear end to replace in my 03 L it was damaged in an accident, and was taken to the dealer by my insurance for repair, spoke to the service adviser and said he's having trouble tracking down a rear end since Ford doesn't supply them anymore. He did find a remanufactured one for $2400 that Ford pointed him too, so my question is what options do I have? Go with the remanufactured one? Figured I would ask you guys who have much more knowledge than I do :smt100

·
Registered
672 Posts
Call around. When I was looking, I was finding Lightning-specific rears for around $1200.

What kind of damage did it have?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Call around. When I was looking, I was finding Lightning-specific rears for around $1200.

What kind of damage did it have?
The thing is I don't know where to call around :smt102
There's about a 2 inch or so bend on the bracket where the backing plate bolts on too. The insurance is going to be paying for it so at this point I just want something reliable and not have to worry about the quality of the product.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Try LKQ (Ontario), My Auto Wrecking in Duarte (where I got mine), or Bebe's Truck and Auto Wrecking in Fontana.

Worse comes to worst, I'd look into having your axle rebuilt, provided the damage isn't too bad. That flange being bent, I'd wager that the tube is probably bent, too. I was quoted $500 by Tricounty Gear to rebuild (new bearings and seals) excluding checking that the tubes were in alignment and replacing a bent shock mount, which would've put me between $1k and 1500 bucks, depending on what else they found.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to look into them, its just the flange that's bent, the tubing as far as I know is fine. Well at least I know a few other options now thanks by the way

·
Go Skers!
1,061 Posts
I think I have one. I'd have to build a crate to ship it, out of an 01 so it has 3.73's in it like your truck.

·
Dude
2,363 Posts
If I was you I would take that rear axle to an axle specialties shop and have it totally checked out and repaired with a detroit truetrac all brand new innards.Or You could get a used one and have it redone with
the trutrac for about 1800$. An axle shop may be able to get you one instead of going to the junk yard.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well there's not much I can do as far as taking any parts off or taking the truck elsewhere since its been at the dealer for a week or so while they hunt down the rear end. I've been suggested the trutrac before I just don't have any knowledge on it so that doesn't help me out at all.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Too bad you are in a hurry, I will be replacing my stock rear end with a M9 soon. It was rebuilt less than a 1,000 miles ago, and has brakes that only have about 3,000 miles with the calipers already ground for 15" wheels.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got an update today, found a couple used rear ends but everyone wants a hefty amount of money for them, so what the service advisor told me was he's going to just try and find a good housing and have it rebuilt. What's so great about the Detroit True trac ? I don't know much about it, but if it's so good I might suggest it to the advisor to get it too.

·
Go Skers!
1,061 Posts
Holy cow. I was thinking $675 shipped for mine.

·
Go Skers!
1,061 Posts
It came from a 01 L that was hit in the front. Had like 52k miles. The truck was nice before it was wrecked but i don't know much more than that about it, got it from an ins auction.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It came from a 01 L that was hit in the front. Had like 52k miles. The truck was nice before it was wrecked but i don't know much more than that about it, got it from an ins auction.
I'm going to see what the service adviser comes up with tomorrow, I might get in touch with you about that.

·
Dude
2,363 Posts
The Trutrac will replace the clutch pac setup that the stock Lightnings have making it almost bulletproof. There are a lot of high HP guys using them. They are super reliable and very good at putting the power down under all kinds of traction issues. Acts like a POSI unless one wheel has different traction then it senses which wheel has the most and sends more of a percentage of the power to that side. It does this automatically and is seamless you wont even know its doing it. The difference from stock is dramatic. With proper maintenance will last a long time.Its all mechanical and works when its supposed to.:smt023

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Trutrac will replace the clutch pac setup that the stock Lightnings have making it almost bulletproof. There are a lot of high HP guys using them. They are super reliable and very good at putting the power down under all kinds of traction issues. Acts like a POSI unless one wheel has different traction then it senses which wheel has the most and sends more of a percentage of the power to that side. It does this automatically and is seamless you wont even know its doing it. The difference from stock is dramatic. With proper maintenance will last a long time.Its all mechanical and works when its supposed to.:smt023
Damn does that sound really sweet ! I'm going to see if I can somehow talk them into getting that for me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts