Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lightning is mostly a garage queen and gets driven normally only to car shows and out on weekends every once in a while. My buddy just bought a GTO and wanted to do some cruising so I met him in town. After driving a little bit we hit the main drag and on the first whip I started to smell something. At a stop light I look back and see smoke coming out from my rear driver brake. I haven't been doing any burnouts at all and wasn't really driving it all that hard. So I guess since I now have the excuse of tearing it apart I am going to put a better brake kit on the truck so I need some help in who has the best brake kit for the buck. Thought about fixing the factory ones but figured I would keep this excuse and use it for now to buy something new. All recommendations are welcome as long as price isn't too rediculous since I am basically a broke college student with tuition coming up really soon. Thanks, Nick

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looks like it will be better to go with rotors, calipers, pads and maybe lines. Any suggestions on who to talk to for the best deal on the best brakes? I know little aobut brakes and haven't really been looking into replacing them yet since I know the Lightning brake setup is already good. Since I am already paying for the one I might as put my cosmetic build on hold and upgrade brakes and get them all done at the same time. Thanks for the help.

·
NO RAGRETS!!!
12,123 Posts
I love my TCE brake kit. However, they are not cheap by any means.

Check your ebrake cable and the pivot under the rotor and make sure that is not what locked up first. Very common issue on our platform.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Ill have to check that. I am thinking about just going ahead and getting a rear caliper and then painting all of my calipers and installing Slotted and drilled rotors and new pads then possibly some better lines with more curb appeal.
Any kits or suggestions?
Thanks, Nick

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. I am going to tear into it sometime this week and see what is going on. Hoping my caliper is good and all I will have to do is just get new brakes. Im guessing I warped the one that locked up and might as well upgrade all my brakes instead of putting money into fixing my rotor.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trying to get one of my Certified Ford Tech buddies to come help me take a look at it tonight since I am not an expert at all on brakes. I can normally change brakes and thats about it. I did try to play with the ebrake when I stopped in the parking lot a little bit by setting and releasing it, but got nowhere. It does however make a little noise back there when applying the brake. Just need to get out of work and get this thing fixed before the show this weekend and so my buddies will quit busting my balls about it. Guess I can't complain too much since I have only put 5,000 miles on it in three years and its started and been reliable every time I jump in it to drive somewhere.....BTW any feedback info on Rotorpros and hawk pads. Thinking of changing and going ceramic with slotted and drilled. Thanks, Nick

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pulled my brake apart Monday night to find that both my pads still looked good and the rotor didn't have a lip from being ate up. Ordered a new caliper for my truck yesterday morning and got it last night with some help from my little brother on making the swap for me at the auto parts store due to work running me behind. After installing and bleeding the rear brake last night I went to town. No shake whatsoever from braking and everything seems fine. Even had about 3 cops trailing me around town and I was only out for 30 minutes. Guess people aren't as friendly about having to listen to my truck scream around at 11pm.... Anyways thanks for the help guys. Glad this was a cheap fix so I can finish putting my money towards my cosmetic build.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.