Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Don't get too excited; not much of a "race."

At a side-by-side left hand turn, I pulled up next to a classic 65 Sting Ray; nice car! Then I noticed the "Fuel Injection" label on the side: WOW! Pretty rare. What are they...327; 375 hp (as I remember)? Black Cherry color.
So, I gave the guy a thumbs up, and we turned as the light turned green. I had NO thought about racing him, but as he gets thru the turn, he floors it. Way too late I realize he wants to race, and I hit it too. He jumps ahead and just as I pull even, he shuts it down. I hit third and blow by him.
I don't think anyone proved anything, but it was kinda fun.

It happened on the strip where the road is wide
(Rev it up, now)
Two cool shorts standin' side by side
(Rev it up, now)
Yeah, my fuel injected Stingray and a four-thirteen
(Rev it up, now)
Were revvin' up our engines and it sounds real mean
(Rev it up, now)

Tach it up, tach it up
Buddy gonna shut you down

Jim

·
Forged Internals, like Roses to Men
1,099 Posts
Those old 'Vettes are so f'ing sweet...But, think about it. That car was about as bad as they came in the late 60's. And I love our trucks, but they are far from the fastest things on the road (without some serious work). But you were able to pull on him with just some bolt-ons. I think it shows just how far we have come in vehicle performance over the last several decades. I tend to get tired of my Dad and his buddies talking about how fast their cars were in the 60's. I love the old muscle cars, but they don't hold a candle to the stuff we have available today...Just my .02

·
i want to go fast
2,983 Posts
Those old 'Vettes are so f'ing sweet...But, think about it. That car was about as bad as they came in the late 60's. And I love our trucks, but they are far from the fastest things on the road (without some serious work). But you were able to pull on him with just some bolt-ons. I think it shows just how far we have come in vehicle performance over the last several decades. I tend to get tired of my Dad and his buddies talking about how fast their cars were in the 60's. I love the old muscle cars, but they don't hold a candle to the stuff we have available today...Just my .02

+1 man, everything has evolved though... If Wayne Gretzky played in today's NHL, he'd be an "average" hockey player lol

just how it goes!

·
Stiffler's guinea pig
6,603 Posts
I think the coolest thing is that you got some guy in a '65 fuelie to get on it!! Most are garage queens.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
I guess I am lucky enough to be old enough, or not, to have lived through both generations of cars...I have owned, driven, or rode in about all of the fastest cars of the day back in the 60's and early 70's...Although they seemed quick at the time, they will not even come close to competing with today's modern performance cars, and in our case trucks...But, they were so cool...I had a '69 Z28 that I used to shift at 8,000 RPM's, it's a wonder I still have feet...You have to remember that tuning and fuel delivery just wasn't up to today's standards...Probably the fastest of all the muscle cars of the era was the ZL1 Camaro's, they made 69 in 69 and there is rumored to have been two Corvettes with the engine...It was an aluminum 427 and was capable of 11.xx from the factory...It was a wonderful time for a motor head kid to grow up in though.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I had a 66 L-79 up to 2 years ago
not the fastest car. I tracked it once and it was a very high 13 second car.
The 60 was way better than I expected with a 2.1

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Meanest looking factory Corvette I ever saw was at the Chevy dealership that was right across the street from the gas station I worked at...It was a black, black, black 396/425 with the factory side exhaust and the knock off wheels...I can still remember is sitting on the sidewalk...Must have been a '65, I think that was the only year they used the 396 in the Corvette, or maybe a '66, but that doesn't make sense, since they had a 427/425 that year.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I remember correctly, that '66 fuelie Vette was a 327, 375 hp, with solid lifters, camelback heads, etc. The mechanical fuel injection was always a pain, and I think once they crammed in the 396/427 CI motors, the FI motors were discontinued. What struck me the most about this Vette I ran, was just how small and light-looking they were.

Jim

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
There were actually 5 ZL1 vettes made 4 were 4 speeds and one was an auto.The auto was for a GM exec who had lost his foot and could not drive a standard.Now ask me how I know!Also there were a few ZR1 and 2's made which were the road race version of the vette.I have driven both and on the old bias tires talk about a loose car under power!Just finished within the last month a restotation of a 63 ZO6 tanker car with a fuelie motor,very unique,the master cylinder is a safety one [2 reservors]but with a screw on cap[looks like an old style M/C] talked to the guy who designed it to see how it worked since I could not get it to function rite and he explained it to me said there were maybe a total of 200 of those made. 2 of the coolest cars were the hemi dart,and the Z11 mystery motor impalas or bubble tops.Stan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts