Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im getting some bad vibrations from 60-70. im guessing its the big rears and guessing the weights flew off ( stick ons). its bad enough that the pedals shake pretty bad about an inch or so left/right. its good 50-55 and seems to level off about 70 some.
what weights are you using on the rear race stars..and front or back of the wheel?

· 2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
12,786 Posts
Those big MT's weigh 35 pounds and it's normal to be out of balance by 1 pound.
I gave up on balancing the rears..Every time I went to the track with them balanced, the tires would spin on the rims. Now I glue the tires to the rims.

· Registered
3,598 Posts
Mine rode like shit too because my caliper kept knocking the weights off. I just bought some aerospace brakes so hopefully I can find a better place to mount them with more clearance.
Mine asked for like 8 to 9 ounces on each wheel and about 6-5 after rotating the tire a bit.

· Content Under Pressure
1,643 Posts
I used the snap on weights for the rear inside so you can't see it on the lip. On the inside I used heavy duty weights. Seems to be fine so far for me

· Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can understand that with slicks..but these on the street are pretty annoying bouncing and vibrating. They couldn't get to my tires quick so I left the shop and haven't went back yet, but i will the next time I get my truck out

· Registered
531 Posts
Mine does the same thing, but it is between 60-65. The brake pedal moves back and forth and the truck shakes real bad. Going to try balancing them one more time with the rim weights on the back rim instead of the stick on ones.

· Former Rowing Team.
04 Lightning
12,032 Posts
I currently do tires for a living again. Oh joy.

With that said, i will be pulling my rears off and bring them to work. I will put them on the balance machine to see how many ounces they are running out. I still get some vibration around 70 after another shop balanced them many months ago.
Those big MT's weigh 35 pounds and it's normal to be out of balance by 1 pound.
One pound equals 16 ounces. That is absurd. Mine were around 9oz without being balanced. My axle would bounce violently at around 55mph when cruising. I even did a heat cycle and had them rebalance them again but it didnt help. That was before i worked at a tire place. Now i will do it myself to make sure. I really hate the idea of anything over 6oz being put on my wheels. That's a lot of lead. But it is what it is.

All of my Dark Stars have hit on/clamp on weights. I do not trust the sticky weights. Plus i could care less about the scratches on the rear since no one sees that.

Also if you are curious if your sticky weights will get knocked off, put the wheel on the studs, then make a revolution. That will tell you. I've done many sets of racing wheels. Zero problems. We do tell owners to use duct tape over the sticky weights if they must have that.

· Administrator
18,757 Posts
The 315 MTs are known to be very inconsistant and most well out of balance. To reduce the added weight it is important to try a few mounting positions to get the best combo of wheel/tire balance. This means using a shop that is willing to go the extra mile.

Jim

· Registered
2,159 Posts
Spin balance the wheels without tires mounted. Mark where they want the weight. Mount your tires, Mark the tire where the machine wants the weight. Deflate the tire and rotate it in the rim to make your marks 180* out.
Check spin them again. This should give you the least amount of weight required.

· Registered
922 Posts
Spin balance the wheels without tires mounted. Mark where they want the weight. Mount your tires, Mark the tire where the machine wants the weight. Deflate the tire and rotate it in the rim to make your marks 180* out.
Check spin them again. This should give you the least amount of weight required.
Great advise and I wouldn't be a bit supprised if you found bent/flatspotted wheel while at it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.