Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a fan of Torco ever since I blew my motor at LightningFest.
I'm sure if I ran a tank of this stuff beforehand, I'd still have my stock block.
Hmmm.. gee would that have been a good thing or bad thing?
Anyways, I plan to run this in addition to some water/alchy injection but that's another topic for
a future post.

Anyways, here's the article obtained from CompetitionPlus

Torco’s Mach Series Accelerator turns super unleaded pump gas into true high-octane racing fuel
By Brian Wood

There have been so-called octane boosters on the market for many years now, and while some do provide short-term gains, in most cases the results derived from many of these products has been marginal at best. In fact, in many cases the harsh chemicals employed have actually been found to be detrimental to the base fuel they’re added to.

The unleaded version of Torco’s Mach Series Accelerator will transform super unleaded pump gas to 107 octane racing fuel. This is not an octane booster but rather concentrated race fuel designed to blend with 91 to 93 octane pump gas.

The folks at Torco Race Fuels recognized the shortcomings of many of these octane boosters, and set out to develop a product that would actually allow super unleaded pump gas to be transformed into true high-octane racing fuel with just the tip of a can.

The end result of their extensive research and development process was the product now marketed as Torco Mach Series Accelerator, a true concentrated race fuel formula that anyone with high-performance engines to feed and care for can use with complete safety and reliability.

Brian Pfeifer, Torco’s General Manager, explained how the product was developed. "We had been kicking the idea around for quite a while, so we went out and bought every octane booster available on the market and took them apart chemically to see what they were actually made of. By doing that we realized that there were no real benefits to be gained by using most of these products. Most only give an increase of two or three points at the most, and the worst part is that some contained certain chemicals that actually rob properties of the fuel.

"We decided to make our own product at that point, and our goal was to provide racers and performance enthusiasts with true racing fuel in a concentrated form that actually worked and did exactly what it said on the can," Pfeifer said. "Rather than take away from the properties of the fuel, we wanted to enhance the fuel by making a product worth having and one that did what it was supposed to do. In other words, we wanted a product that was identical in every way to our proven race fuel."

In basic terms, Torco Mach Series Accelerator is in fact made from the same chemical composition as their racing fuel, just in a concentrated form. In addition, there are a couple of other additives in the formulation that help it blend with super unleaded pump gas. It’s important to remember that this is not an octane booster but a true concentrated race fuel that can be blended with super unleaded pump gas to make high-octane fuel for race cars or high-performance street machines.

"It’s a real simple concept that works exactly as advertised," said Pfeifer. "Here at Torco we always try to apply the "KISS" principle to everything we make. You know, Keep It Simple, Stupid. That way it’s as uncomplicated as possible for the end user."

Accelerator is also available in a leaded version, perfect for antique cars, trucks, motorcycles, tractors and boats. In addition to the added lubricity afforded by the product, octane can be increased to 108 by adding it to super unleaded pump gas.

Torco Accelerator is available in both unleaded and leaded form, with the latter very popular with owners of antique cars, tractors, motorcycles and boats, according to Pfeifer. "Many owners of these antique vehicles find the leaded version of Accelerator perfect for older engines that don’t have hard valve seats. They’re not so much interested in higher octane levels but the additional lubricity provided by the lead is a great benefit to these older engines. For those who want to get the added benefit of increased octane, however, the unleaded version of the product will make up to 108 octane. There are other lead additives available on the market, but most of them come in the form of two cycle oil or something similar, and they’re just not the same."

Torco Mach Series Accelerator has been thoroughly tested in both the lab and in over five years of real-world testing. "This product is completely safe and reliable in any high-performance application," explained Pfeifer. "For cars driven on the street, you simply have to blend the Accelerator with super unleaded and go. You can go ahead and throw some more timing to the engine, because now it’s going to handle it. Depending on the ratio of Accelerator to pump gas used, you can make up to 107 octane racing fuel.

"As mentioned, the product blends with all super unleaded pump gas. In the east the top octane usually available is 93, while out west 91 octane is the highest available. You just have to do a little math to determine the best blend for a particular application. That was our goal in the beginning – to make a product that could be used simply and universally."

While many racers are utilizing the product these days, Torco has found that most of it is going into high-performance street cars. "That’s where we’ve seen the most significant growth in sales of Accelerator over the last couple of years," confirmed Pfeifer. "Now, we’re talking about serious street machinery here – the guy with an old 305-powered Camaro with a pair of Cherry Bomb mufflers hung underneath it isn’t going to need this product. He can go and buy one of the 104 octane boosters out there and really think he’s done something. It’s in the serious high horsepower arena where this product really shines.

"Also, I should mention that this stuff works great in motorcycles," Pfeifer said. "We have a ton of Harley guys and other motorcycle people using it with great results. There are a number of boat racers using it as well. One guy buys it a pallet load at a time simply because it’s real tough to get good fuel at a marina. There are more and more applications coming to our attention all the time, and in the last two years sales of the product have just skyrocketed.

"Torco Mach Series Accelerator is so good that we find that over 99 per cent of first time users buy more. This is simply because it works and does exactly what it’s supposed to do – transform good pump gas into great racing fuel – period."   

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've used torco additive occasionally when I'm unsure how good my gas is but most of the time I use Toluene to boost my octane up with some marvels mystery oil in for upper cylinder lubrication. This stuff does work, maybe one of the few that does but it's expensive. I keep a can of it in the truck all the time just for bad gas emergencies. It's always better to use full blended gas, it will be more consistent in racing.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mixing with Toluene can almost add up to the same cost as the Torco and there
are some problematic things with running Toluene which I'm guessing the Marvel mystery oil
may help with.

Toulene
R+M/2...114
Cost...$2.50/gal (around here I've seen for $3/gal)

10%...2.2 Octane increase
20%...4.4 Octane increase
30%...6.6 Octane increase

Assume a full tank of gas for calculation sake and 4.4 Octane increase.
One can of Torco I've found for $13 ($76.00 case of 6, cheaper if you buy the 5 gallon drum of it) which would theortically give you the 4.4 octane boost.

20% of a 20 gallon tank is 4 gallons.
$2.50 * 4 = $10 + cost of Marvel Mystery oil (I'm not sure how much of this stuff you use per gallon but I'm going to assume the cost of 1, 32 oz container which is $3.29)

So, mixing your own with Toluene is between $10.01 - $13.29

I can't see mixing up my own batch of gas as I fill up on the way to work as opposed to pouring in a tankful of this stuff. Maybe, I'm thinking of this all wrong, but that's why I haven't cooked up my own brew of gas yet.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I use the toluene because it's easier to get at any sherwin williams store. The torco isn't as easy to find and yes you're right about the cost actually the cost is higher with the toluene. The only time i run mixed fuel is when I'm in racing season and I have the timing setup higher so I know it will be ok. The torco is a good product it's just not that easy to find ecspecially when you're out and need it now! I like to run about 98 octane so I start with 2 gallons of toluene and add 3 gallons of 93 octane in a 5 gallon jug and add 2 oz of marvels mystery oil. This is just what I do it's not the best method of the most inexpensive, but it works and I feel I have better control over the fuel this way than pouring an additive into the gas tank with an approximate amount of fuel. My truck will be strictly racing this season so I won't have to deal with filling it up at the pumps. I'm always open to better ideas, but availability has been a problem, and shipping can be expensive with a flammable product.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts