Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of adding a #4 crank pulley, just curious about the potential of damaging the engine due to the increase in boost. What's stock boost on these engine, and what can they take? Thanks.

·
10 second street truck
12,718 Posts
A 4lb with a quality tube, tr6 speak plugs and you'll be golden.

A 6lb lower requires a new mass air meter

A 4lb will make 375-390 and 6lb will make 400ish bit more torque. Beyond the 6lb the Eaton is making more heat than power.

These trucks tend to make ~350 to the tires stock. They can handle 450ish with. Supporting modifications.

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
11,545 Posts
What is this "data log" you keep referring to? Never mind, I really don't want to know.

·
10 second street truck
12,718 Posts
What is this "data log" you keep referring to? Never mind, I really don't want to know.
Logging the data.

For anyone who actually wants to understand what the truck is doing, a datalog is when you use sct software to monitor in real time what the truck is doing. When doing remote tuning a datalog is everything. It's how the tuner can read and update what's going on.

And pegging a stock maf will cause the ecu to revert to failed maf tables and that will not end well.

·
11,545 Posts
Well, there is a really good local tuner here that has done many Lightning's. Able Racing. If I do get that polished MP that is for sale, I'll likely put the six pound lower cog on, along with the Granatelli BA2800 MAF I've had holding down my dining room table for a few years. LOL.

I put that six pound lower on back in 2019 for three weeks or so. After I installed the current MP. Truck didn't seem to be bothered by it in the slightest. But I took it back off, JIC. I loved the throttle response and the more hyper boost gauge. The blower and cogs screamed with it on there.

·
11,545 Posts
An mp with a 6 lb and a stock tune is begging for trouble.
I said I would likely use the local tuner, Able Racing if I do that.

And yes I know, which is why I took it off. I had put it on for short time, and never went wide open throttle while it was on there. Kept the boost at or around 8 pounds when it was on. Never got crazy with it. Just wanted to see what it was like just going easy on it. As I said, throttle response was better, and the sound was crazy.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have had a 6# lower and lightning upper for about 15 years and over 100k miles with stock maf...no issues. Just get a good tune and change heat range and gap on spark plugs...no issues

·
10 second street truck
12,718 Posts
I have had a 6# lower and lightning upper for about 15 years and over 100k miles with stock maf...no issues. Just get a good tune and change heat range and gap on spark plugs...no issues
A good tune won't save you when you run on a cool night and max out that maf.

Jesus people a maf is $250 to take one more step to ensure your motor is safe.

Many people have run that combo and the engine lived. Many have popped. I almost maxed out the maf on my 04 on a 4lb lower(4.85v) at the top of drive on a datalog.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts