Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rob, I remember some time ago, more like a few race seasons. You had problems with your first tunes. If I remember correct you were stuck in the 13's. What were your trap speeds at the time? I think your issue was not enough timing correct. Im expierencing similar problems. My ET is what I expected for the mods and definaltley not the trap speed. I ran a best of [email protected] bone stock. At sea level I have only ran a best of [email protected] with mods. (will list below) I have since moved out to california from georgia. I ran at Palmdale last week (2700ft) (DA3300ft) and could only manage a 13.4 at 101.9. I think it is possibly a lack of timing as the truck is in sound running condition. Truck has never ran the times or trap speeds I expected since modding. Just wandering if you could elaobrate on your expierence since it seems similar. Going to pick up a predator soon so I can see what the timing is at wot. Thanks Eric (average 1.8 60fts)

6lb lower
Autologic chip (16*timing)
JLP Ram Air Induction
Factory Tech Valve body
Upgraded to 90mm maf
Upgraded to 3.73 gears
Truck Trak traction bars
Have always run the truck on nitto drags or MT ET streets (truck is a 2000)

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Sure 2000L

Ok so you dont know what the timing is ? that kind of sucks, important to know.

We'll start here,
FOR WHATEVER REASON, some L's like A LOT of timig, and some simply DON'T ?
Strange but true.....

Ok Summer from hell, 2002 LI Motorsports Park, and I went prob every other weekend
for months on end. As you said I could not for the life of me get out of the 13's running
4lb lower, 2 lb upper, hi flow filter, Diablo Tune from Motor Haven. (no other Mods yet)

I'm looking at SOME of the sheets right now, I see
13.356 @101.875
13.445 @101.790
13.368 @100.568
13.369 @100.718

I then switched to James Parker + Ivan
(Runnin' With the Devil + USA Hooters)

We moved the timing to a very safe 12-14 degrees
13.285 @103.894
13.198 @104.577
I STILL WAS NOT HAPPY

We then moved the timing to 17 Degrees, and I actually took my Upper Pulley off
AND WAM
12.852 @106.470

NEVER EVER RAN ANOTHER 13 :eek:) Never a 12.9 either, always 12.8's + 12.7's

Then the Spray came :D

I think ANYONE will agree 16 Degrees MINIMUM IS NEEDED, and many L's can handle
17-19 also on pump gas, (of course do not over do it, nor allow it to detonate)

BTW
The feeling I was got when the timing was low, was NOT noticable on the street,
BUT on the track, you would feel it cutting in and out @ 3/4 track

HOPE THIS HELPS BRO
BEST OF LUCK, and keep us informed

Rob

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rob, Sounds very similar to my expierence so far. The chip is suppose to be burned for 16* right now. I think the computer may even be pulling timing near the end of the run. I believe I rember there being problems way back with the Autologic and it pulling timing at the end of the quarter. This is wear getting my hands on a predator is going to answer some questions. I have been a mechanic for quite some years now. Dont claim to be an expert in the aftermarket but am fairly knowledgable. I do know what to look for and know when things are going wrong. So unless theres a complete failure of some sort I will not push things past the breaking point. I like these boards because theres how things should be and then real world expierance. You dont have to have your hands in this stuff everyday to know about it. I would never limit myself to not coming on here and asking for you guys help or expierences. Anyone who would do that is severly limiting thereselves. Hope everything goes well with your build up. What were you running for timing before the truck went under the knife?

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Believe it or not, my LOWEST program (the nitrous program) was 19 degrees
and my normal 24/7 daily street program is set @ 3 degrees higher :D
All on pump gas, NEVER A SOUND OR PROB. (as said some LOVE Timing, mine sure does)

And Best of luck to you Bro

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think Diablo must have had your truck in mind when they made those stock pulley tunes [smilie=laugh.gif]. Just goes to show not all lightnings are created equal. Did you have the plasma booster on there the entire time you were running the 19* plus timing. Thanks for all the data.

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Yes I did, and as much as people still laugh at me for having it,
I BELIEVE IT'S AN IMPORTANT PART OF MY SUCCESS, and an excellent (if not needed)
component when running Nitrous  :smt023

1 - 6 of 6 Posts