Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking under my hood today and seen what I have posted below. You can see the right side pulley looks good but the left side looks like it has lost a good amount of coating/paint.

Is this normal? Is doesn’t really have any abnormal sounds, as in like a bad bearing, but if I give it some throttle it does seem to have a bit of a high pitch coming from that pulley.

You can also see the belt as well which looks to be a result of the pulley. About the only thing I have ever noticed is when WOT it seems to surge, like a possible belt slipping. Its not much, like the truck takes off, has a very slight hesitation (like if your tires had spun) and then goes again. I know that hesitation is not something with the motor.

I don’t know so that’s why I come here to ask the experts what you think…

Thanks…

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
It DEF looks like you had or have SOMETHING going on there SB ?
I mean ya mine is a little scratched up, but you can clearly see one
of your tensioner's is showing slipping or dragging wear over the other.

Looking at that, I would say it needs to be taken apart, cleaned,
and re-greased. A very easy thing to check, simply grab a 1/2" Drive Breaker Bar, take the Belt off, and spin them, "you'll know".

Good Luck, and Please let us know what you find ???

·
Registered
734 Posts
Leean, you can take the SC belt off and spin the pulleys indivdualy and see if there is any drag like a bad bearing or squeeking noise. If not it should be ok, remember this... On the one side the belt is under load and on the other side it's not.

Suavy

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Suavy even though this is not Leeann... :D

So, does that look normal for 2,600 miles? That's why I posted it. I can see that one has more load but wanted to ask you experts rather then just think its normal and have something bad happen like the belt breaking and causing a lot of damage in the engine compartment.

G

·
I don't think mine looks like that, but I'll go check it tomorrow when it's brighter outside if you want. My truck has about 1900 miles on it.

·
Registered
734 Posts
forgive me sonic, I just seen the sonic blue truck and said Leeann. I'll lock before I leap next time. Yes I would say it was normal but I would take the belt off and spin the pulley first.

If you hear a grinding sound our if the pulley is hard to spin then the bearing is bad. Your warenty should cover it.

Suavy

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Suavy said:
forgive me sonic, I just seen the sonic blue truck and said Leeann. I'll lock before I leap next time. Yes I would say it was normal but I would take the belt off and spin the pulley first.

If you hear a grinding sound our if the pulley is hard to spin then the bearing is bad. Your warenty should cover it.

Suavy
Thanks Suavy, and no problem with mixing me up with Leeann...

I'll do what you suggested and see how the pulley is, again thanks for your help, as well as Rob and Leeann...

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
mine did the same thing cleaned it and it never came back
as bad as it did when truck was new. 6000 now and very
little.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I checked my pulleys out today, especially the one that has the paint or coating wearing off. They both feel the same, neither is harder or easier then the other to turn, no slop in them, bearings feel and sound fine for turning by hand.

So it appears there is nothing wrong with that pulley and like Suavy was saying it may be wearing the paint or coating off simply because it has more load then the other pulley on the right.

Thanks for all your help, especially you Suavy… :smt023

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here's a question on pulleys, I pulled my belt since I yanked the charger. They don't drag and I can't hear any grinding, but if you spin them they don't free-spin very long. Is this normal? I know it is relative but how much spin should they have. Should I pull them and re-pack them or should I wait until I get my charger back on and take it to the dealer to fix (23K on an '01 under warranty still :) )

Thanks for the info...

Also, my pulley's do not look like Sonic's they don't have that wear pattern on them. The belt isn't too bad, though I am replacing it and I do get some belt slippage due to the FTVB from time to time.

Charlie

·
Registered
159 Posts
mudwyser21, for all practical purposes, the factory belts are throw aways and they have the normal tendency to stretch during the first 500 miles of any new supercharged vehicle. My opinion on the wearing of the paint off the Idler Pulleys, would be simply some belt slippage going on, even if you have not changed to a smaller aftermarket supercharger pulley to date.

I personally would look at our Goodyear Gatorback Belts, as the Heli-Cog design, gives you better belt grip and these new belts are prestretched from the factory, as well as they do have 5 times the tensil strength of any other belt out here on the market today.

http://www.goodyearbeltsandhose.com/cars/gator.html

Check out the supercharger belt section in my website here: http://www.southfloridapulleyhq.com/SFPH/lightning/ps_gatorback_belts.htm

The stock replacement size in a Goodyear Gatorback you would want for any Lightning/Harley application would be our 4080660 belt. Hope this helps.
:smt023

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
I loooooooooooove Gatorback Belts, they're the ONLY belt I run
just ordered me a new one from Terry Yesterday AMOF :D
I think this is now the 3rd or 4th I've bought from him

1 to replace my orig crappy factory belt
and for the 2lb upper only
then 1 for my 2+4 set up
A spare
and now a new one for the new 100mm Idler Pulley's I just bought
FROM OUR TERRY also yesterday :D

SUPPORT OUR VENDORS
it's only plastic, hehehehehehe.................

Cat food in a trailer up in the moutains I tell you
thats what my retirement will be :smt089

·
Registered
29 Posts
That's cool, I was planning on replacing with the Gatorback anyway, but just wanted to make sure I didn't need to pull the idlers are regrease/repack them. There is no evidence of rubbing other than the factory shine, it is just that they are not easy to turn. You can spin them by hand with ease, but if you try to spin it and let go it stops...

Just wanted to check on it while I had it apart.

Thanks again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts