Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
DSGFTW
5,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to change my plugs for the first time on my truck. Should I be worried about pulling out the threads on the plugs? Is there anything I should look for when taking them out. If they start to come out will i feel it start to give?

·
Stiffler's guinea pig
6,603 Posts
Unless your truck already has an insert because of a stripped plug, I wouldn't be worried about hurting anything on removing them. Your truck is a 2004, so it will have 8-thread heads. I don't forsee any problems.

Always change plugs on a cold motor. If you want, after you get the plugs out, you can check the gap...maybe even take some pics and post them up for some feedback on how they look. New plugs should be installed at 13 ft. lbs. of torque. It is kinda hard to get a good torque reading on some of the plugs. Just do your best.

Have some extensions ready of different lengths. The 7 mm bolts that hold the cops on are a pain. On reinstall, just snug them..no need to be overly tight. I have the coil screws from Mad Enterprise. They are GREAT to use.

Be careful not to drop anything down into the spark plug bosses. I always pull a plug, then put a new one back in before going to the next one. Just being overly cautious on my part I guess.

I would run TR6 plugs gapped about .035 with your mods.

·
Cogswell Cogs
3,383 Posts
What junioRace said ^^^

To get rid of any loose crap I'll vacuum the spark plug holes with a ShopVac before taking the plugs out. I also apply a little anti seize on the threads of the new plugs.

·
DSGFTW
5,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unless your truck already has an insert because of a stripped plug, I wouldn't be worried about hurting anything on removing them. Your truck is a 2004, so it will have 8-thread heads. I don't forsee any problems.

Always change plugs on a cold motor. If you want, after you get the plugs out, you can check the gap...maybe even take some pics and post them up for some feedback on how they look. New plugs should be installed at 13 ft. lbs. of torque. It is kinda hard to get a good torque reading on some of the plugs. Just do your best.

Have some extensions ready of different lengths. The 7 mm bolts that hold the cops on are a pain. On reinstall, just snug them..no need to be overly tight. I have the coil screws from Mad Enterprise. They are GREAT to use.

Be careful not to drop anything down into the spark plug bosses. I always pull a plug, then put a new one back in before going to the next one. Just being overly cautious on my part I guess.

I would run TR6 plugs gapped about .035 with your mods.
How much are those coil pack screws? Abd does he still sell them?

To be honest my plugs haven't been changed in a LONG time..like 18k miles.

I know the plugs are gunna look like shit so I'm prepared for that.

Thanks for all the tips guys!

·
Stiffler's guinea pig
6,603 Posts

·
Innovator of the Bombassani exhaust
2,428 Posts
First time will be a bear but it can be done......The only COP screw that is a BI%CH is the one located under the Fuel Regulator. Use a 1/4 swivel socket adapter and it is cake.

Here is what I use for a change:

7mm socket (COP screw)
Various size extensions
Plug Socket (Of course)
1/4 swivel adapter (COP screw under FR)
3/8 swivel adapter (For Plugs when need be)
Extension Magnet (antenna looking magnet.....I use this to put the COP screws back in. LIFE SAVER!!!!)
Anti Sieze for the plugs

Do one at a time so you know it is done right. Hand snug COP screw with a 7mm driver/socket. MAKE SURE YOU UNPLUG COP FIRST!!! Alot easier to unplug when it is bolted down. The first COP on the driver side can be pulled out from the front. Make sure you do not unplug the vac line going to the rear of the intake. It is the Tee line running to the top of the blower on the passenger side. Sure I will think of some more tips for you.

Good Luck

·
Undisputed Re-Post Master
14,354 Posts
Not that hard at all.
More intimidating the first time, after you do it, and it takes you 2-3 hours since your so hesitant and careful. then the next time you will think wow this was pretty easy. The 3rd time you'll be doing it with your eyes closed.

Just take your time and be careful, and it should go smoothly

·
Brick Aviator
338 Posts
Definately blow/vacuum out the holes before you pull the plugs. Worst plug for me is passenger/back plug.

·
Premium Member
5,724 Posts
THIS is a lifesaver! 7mm 1/4" drive swivel socket.

·
sonic blue ftw
1,103 Posts
7mm swivel socket is a lifesaver for sure. Also love locking extensions. I always unplug the injector beside the coilpack to give myself a lil more room to work

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
A five inch long socket will make it a lot easier...It sticks out of the plug hole and most of the time you don't need all the swivels and crap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts