Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to install the street VB on the 04 and opt to use the stock pan, I'm going to order a new factory motorcraft filter and I might get a new gasket since there's 90k on it. What oil should I use and should I get a new pan gasket I heard there reusable but it's pretty old? Motorcraft filter should be fine right?

·
USMC
579 Posts
I did mine not long ago. Got 8 qts of the ford stuff that they put in. And the stock pan should have a reuse gasket. I did how ever go to advanced Nd get a new filter. Just undo all the bolts but the 4 corners and then losen the back two to drain. I would do it cold. I did mine after a drive and it wat HOT. But took about an hour. By my self. Get a big pan for the mess.
Very easy to do and love it. I got the street one. And it has plenty of kick to it.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Get 7qts of Mercon fluid when you pick up your filter. The old gasket is fine to reuse. Oh make sure you disconnect the negative wire from your battery before installing the VB.

·
Florida>Texas
10,629 Posts
Just make sure if you use MerconV it is only bought from Ford/Motorcraft.

Gasket is fine to reuse.

Valvoline and Motorcraft Merc V are different?

·
NO RAGRETS!!!
12,119 Posts
Valvoline and Motorcraft Merc V are different?

Our transmissions were not designed to use MerconV fluid. Ford reformulated their MerconV fluid to be dual usage fluid that can be used in both Mercon and MerconV applications. Mercon is no longer produced by Motorcraft.

Do not use any other MerconV fluid aside from Motorcraft.

I use the Motorcraft MerconV fluid myself but, I get it for free.

If I had to pay for trans fluid I would buy cheap Mercon fluid at the parts store.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts