Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 273 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted you guys to save me some time if you could...

Not happy to be doing this already but......

Im going to be pulling the coil packs and plugs this weekend in the driveway. So if you can save me some time with any tips I would appreciate it.

wondering if the JLP powerflow needs to come off also the fuel rails are metco I beleive wondering if they need to come off as well. anything special I should use to make it easier to get to the tough plugs to reach

thanks
guys

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,704 Posts

Im going to be pulling the coil packs and plugs this weekend in the driveway. So if you can save me some time with any tips I would appreciate it.

wondering if the JLP powerflow needs to come off also the fuel rails are metco I beleive wondering if they need to come off as well. anything special I should use to make it easier to get to the tough plugs to reach

thanks
guys
honestly, be gentle, take your time and replace the coil screw with the MADs coil screws for re-installation ease and even better for next time :bigtu

·
Premium Member
5,754 Posts
A 7mm swivel 1/4" drive socket does wonders. I spray my plug socket w/ a little PB Blaster as well to keep the rubber from gripping the plug too much on install. Most of them are pretty simple except for 3 & 4 on the PS & 8 on the drivers.

·
Administrator
18,618 Posts
How many miles on it since it was tuned? Thought it was just recently finished. What was it doing?

Jim

·
Registered
1,952 Posts

thanks
guys
Bring it on up here jeff, i ll do the plugs for you and show u how like kevin showed me. u ll be doin em by urself in no time flat. perks of the super awesome aggressive L&M cams.:bolt

·
Registered
1,952 Posts

·
Administrator
18,618 Posts
Bring it on up here jeff, i ll do the plugs for you and show u how like kevin showed me. u ll be doin em by urself in no time flat. perks of the super awesome aggressive L&M cams.:bolt
lol, easy there jim, better tread carefully.
Well, there usually is a price to pay for getting real aggressive with cam selection. Not sure where the line is crossed but I would venture to say a lot of guys run too much cam for a heavy street vehicle. Numbers can be made without extracting every last pony at peak.

Think you will find the KB blower a little easier to perform a plug change on compared to the Whipples.

Jim

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Well, there usually is a price to pay for getting real aggressive with cam selection. Not sure where the line is crossed but I would venture to say a lot of guys run too much cam for a heavy street vehicle. Numbers can be made without extracting every last pony at peak.

Think you will find the KB blower a little easier to perform a plug change on compared to the Whipples.

Jim
totally agree with all my new found knowledge acquired personally. These heads n cam combo is still new and learning how to be tuned properly. i think at this point, u have to choose what u want more,...street or strip. Pick one way and lean on it

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
That's why I chose the proven stage 2 comps :bigtu
prolly worth their wieght in gold as tuneability and driveability for ya. Who knows, maybe blowdis we ll get my truck haulin azz down the 1320' and it ll all be worth it. Or even jeff can borrow some race hoops and run that 740rwhp tune he has and put down some killer track times also. This year gunna show what the TFs are all about

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
Yeah thats right..... LOL

I forgot about the pump gas 26psi 140mph+ "I just gotta keep up with a sleek lambo in my brick of a pickup truck" blasts that just somehow hurt plugs... :laughing25

Yeah but its the cams and/or tuners fault.... :cheers

I'm sorry guys but demanding 700hp+ on a pump gas street tune is asking alot and all it takes is one bad tank of gas or hitting the rev limiter (that never gets admitted to) for you to hurt something... but lets just blame something else its always easier that way.. LOL

to the OP Jeff, its not hard to check/pull the plugs and coils, the rails wont have to bothered with and since you are going to be replacing your broken thundertube it will be easier with that and the tbody out of the way. A few simple tools and some swivels will go along way and at your level of performance/boost you should know how to do this anyway so take your time and call me if you need help.

JJ

·
Registered
1,952 Posts

I forgot about the pump gas 26psi 140mph+ "I just gotta keep up with a sleek lambo in my brick of a pickup truck" blasts that just somehow hurt plugs... :laughing25

lmao, maybe it was my fault for simply turning the key to begin with??? this is the part where u tell everyone that jeffs truck was fine and ran perfect when it left maryland like mine did. But that would mean that this is a conspiracy against u and some of us like to make up these problems for no reason or nothing to gain. :bigtu

and who got 700hp pumpgas tunes? i certainly didnt..my truck barely beat out some 2.3whipple builds. my tq was an even more impressive number. sorry jj, u a good guy and extremely intelligent, but in general, we dont make these problems up. i ve dealt with problems for over a year going built. some had nothing to do with u, but the misery continued and im glad(as u should be also) to say my truck is SOLD!

tell u what, i ll make u a final deal. u can buy me a beer in carlisle this year and maybe i take u for a ride in my new z06. or maybe a new hyundai by than. either way i ll show u how i turn the key and drive with a smile bud. and i ll leave the conspiracys at home.

·
Administrator
18,618 Posts

I'm sorry guys but demanding 700hp+ on a pump gas street tune is asking alot

at your level of performance/boost you should know how to do this anyway so take your time and call me if you need help.

JJ
Two real good points. That kind of horsepower is certainly asking a lot. Sometimes compromises must be made one way or the other. Get the power, deal with the quirks. Or get better usability but give up some power.

And yes, anyone running a truck with these capabilities must learn how to do plug changes or inspections often. It is really not that hard to do. Especially once the MadEnterprises hold down scews are used. This reminds me that I have to order a set of 8 flex shaft ones before I have to take mine apart.

Jim

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
lmao, maybe it was my fault for simply turning the key to begin with??? this is the part where u tell everyone that jeffs truck was fine and ran perfect when it left maryland like mine did. But that would mean that this is a conspiracy against u and some of us like to make up these problems for no reason or nothing to gain. :bigtu
No this is the part where I work with the customer to solve his problem and help him diagnose something that I am not there in person to work on. This is also the time where I help a customer, who understands the responsibility he has at owning a high horsepower vehicle instead of blaming everything under the sun at whats going on.

I've already spoken with him today and can only advise a course of action for his problem.

Some customers take responsibility for their own actions such as huge burnouts that hit the rev limiter, high speed racing on pumpgas at big boost and some dont. Jeff, the OP is the kind of person that understands and works with those that are willing to help him because he knows that we have his best interest at heart.

:smt023

JJ

·
Registered
816 Posts

thanks
guys
If you have not deleted your EGR...now is a good time and will take time off any future plug change.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
No this is the part where I work with the customer to solve his problem and help him diagnose something that I am not there in person to work on. This is also the time where I help a customer, who understands the responsibility he has at owning a high horsepower vehicle instead of blaming everything under the sun at whats going on.

I've already spoken with him today and can only advise a course of action for his problem.

Some customers take responsibility for their own actions such as huge burnouts that hit the rev limiter, high speed racing on pumpgas at big boost and some dont. Jeff, the OP is the kind of person that understands and works with those that are willing to help him because he knows that we have his best interest at heart.

JJ
excellent:bigtu well thought out. I will totally agree, for sake of the thread not getting locked. no rebutle here. Im rooting for the both of ya. :smt023

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Jim
thanks that would be nice

honestly, be gentle, take your time and replace the coil screw with the MADs coil screws for re-installation ease and even better for next time :bigtu
thanks I will do that

A 7mm swivel 1/4" drive socket does wonders. I spray my plug socket w/ a little PB Blaster as well to keep the rubber from gripping the plug too much on install. Most of them are pretty simple except for 3 & 4 on the PS & 8 on the drivers.
thats what I was looking for thanks

How many miles on it since it was tuned? Thought it was just recently finished. What was it doing?

Jim
Not many miles lol. Its breaking up when its under load like if you try to leave hard from a standstill or moving slow and try to excellerate hard. I cant afford to break anything so I just backed off and didnt press it.

I actually have to deliver weapon x coils I sold kevin so who knows I might take him up on it.

I'm sorry guys but demanding 700hp+ on a pump gas street tune is asking alot and all it takes is one bad tank of gas or hitting the rev limiter (that never gets admitted to) for you to hurt something... but lets just blame something else its always easier that way.. LOL

to the OP Jeff, its not hard to check/pull the plugs and coils, the rails wont have to bothered with and since you are going to be replacing your broken thundertube it will be easier with that and the tbody out of the way. A few simple tools and some swivels will go along way and at your level of performance/boost you should know how to do this anyway so take your time and call me if you need help.

JJ
Well it looks like Im going to be learning how to do it soon hard or easy I gotta figure it out. I just want to get these issues resolved because its stressing me out really.

·
Administrator
18,618 Posts
Some customers take responsibility for their own actions such as huge burnouts that hit the rev limiter, high speed racing on pumpgas at big boost and some dont.

JJ
You know, I think most have no clue how bad it is to let RPMs scream doing a burnout and bouncing off the rev limiter. Timing gets all out of whack from the low load condition. Hard on everything. One more thing to know when building wilder combos. They should be used with greater restraint and under near perfect conditions.

Jim

1 - 20 of 273 Posts