Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Lightning and was told it had an aftermarket pulley, how can you know what size is it? Can you tell by just measuring it?
Thanks!

·
10 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,635 Posts
Upper or lower?
Measure it where belt rides and you'll know how many lbs it is.
If you don't k ow what mods are in the truck or the tune and are beating on it, I hope you can afford an engine

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Upper or lower?
Measure it where belt rides and you'll know how many lbs it is.
If you don't k ow what mods are in the truck or the tune and are beating on it, I hope you can afford an engine
No beating at all just curious, want to put everything back to stock, was told it had a lower pulley and a throttle body only. Just a weekend if that much if it don't rain.

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
10,719 Posts
Well. number one, the stock pulley is easily identifiable since it is not easy to remove and has a three arm octopus that attaches to the engine. All aftermarket pulleys usually have six bolts that attach the pulley to an adaptor, which is held to the crank with three bolts. Bottom line being, if you can see six bolts on the front face of the pulley, it isn't stock. Typical is a six pound lower. Which is six pounds over the stock eight pounds. Stock pulley is 7.5 inches at the surface the belt rides on. Every half inch is two pounds over. So an eight inch is two pounds, 8.5 is four, 9.0 is six. If it's over that, DUCK!!!!

I feel I am safe to say, add 1/4 inch for outside diameter. So that stock 7.5 would be 7.75. Etc.

Reactions: Omarb

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah, those stock cages......what a bunch of crap. Changed the one on my kiddos truck and had a heck of a time, introduced a little heat and it went much better.

·
Stiffler's guinea pig
6,658 Posts
If it has an aftermarket pulley, the truck should have also came with a handheld tuner or a chip. You need to be checking into that as well.

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
11,557 Posts
Take a picture, of the lower and upper pulleys. Post them....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts