Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Custom User Title
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have this surge. It happens at steady throttle and its very evident chugging along around 65. Idle is fine though. Only when moving at steady throttle openings does it do it.

I have been reading about the EGR valve being the cause, but I have NO idea how to test it.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
17,565 Posts
disconnect the green vac line from the top of the egr valve and plug it onto the stud bolt that holds the egr to the Upper Plenum...then take it for a spin and see what she does

·
Registered
17,565 Posts
I need to get a vacuum gauge so tonight I will try just disconnecting that line. I shall keep this thread going until I fix this.
disconnect and put it on the stud...quick check ot see if its EGR related...

·
Registered
17,565 Posts
most likely dpfe part of the EGR system...if it is then she will run nice ...

·
Custom User Title
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK. So I disconnected the vaccuum line, and plugged it. I left the nipple on the EGR open though.

As soon as I took off, the Check Engine light came on. However, the truck drove down the highway and back roads smooth. I am going to drive it around tomrorow like that as well just to make sure it stays smooth.

However, when I put it into park the idle gets funky for a second then goes to normal. What confuses me is if this part is bad, why is the truck realizing that I have disconnected it? Will plugging it back in shut off the Check Engine Light?

Thanks!

·
Registered
17,565 Posts
sounds like egr is bad...it should open under vacuum as controlled by the egr solenoid which is determined by the pcm from readings that the dpfe provides.....put a cap on the egr nipple that you left open this time...clear the codes and go for another drive

·
Registered
17,565 Posts
if you have a predator or sct xcal tuning device then you can clear them with that ...if not just disconnect the battry terminals and turn your lights on (of course they wont come on) then let it sit for a couple minutes like that.

then turn lights off and hook battery back up

·
Custom User Title
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds good. So what am I looking for to happen with the line disconnected and plugged, and the EGR Nipple plugged as well.

Should it run good with no check engine light?

·
Registered
17,565 Posts
correct...

if the egr is not closing and letting in unmetered air..then probably its tossing a lean code....only way to tell is to pull the code with a reader to make sure what the code is...

·
Custom User Title
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok so I forgot to clear the codes. What is confusing me about them, is the CEL comes on like a min after I start the truck. Does that mean it is coming on from what was wrong before and is still saved, or is something still wrong? Like will it not go off until I clear it then see what happens?

I cannot find a plug under the dash to plug my reader into to clear the codes also.

So I did plug the EGR valve with a vacuum nipple, and the tube that was on the egr is still plugged off. Truck runs fine, no surging. Just still has the CEL.

I guess I should clear that code and see if the CEL comes back?

·
Registered
17,565 Posts
gen obd pre 96 IIRC should be under the hood on the drivers side near the firewall To the right of your brake booster. It should be in a plastic holder attached to your inner fender area

1 - 20 of 65 Posts