Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Going for Broke
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i took my truck into a shop to get the ticking checked out and they came back with Lifters. Said it would be around 600-700 for a fix. How does that price sound to you guys?

·
Forged Internals, like Roses to Men
1,099 Posts
Probably about right, from a shop. However you can do this at home for far less and know that you turned the wrench on your ride. However, if you choose to take it to them make sure you remove the S/C belt before you drop it off. Prevents any of them from getting a heavy foot while "testing" it...

·
Going for Broke
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea. Ya i would love to wrench it myself but honestly time/skills is a major factor with me. The wife works opposite hours that i do. Hard to do it and watch 3 young ones

·
1,099 Posts
I hear ya...I recently had to let a mechanic put my lower intake on due to time constraints. You may want to also call around and see what other shops are charging, and what a dealer would charge. That may give you a good idea what a fair price is...

·
Going for Broke
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not dynospeed, This is a local guy who handles all the maintance/repairs for the sheriff dept, so the wife knows him, I like Dynospeed, they tuned n dynoed the L but they are also pricey

·
Going for Broke
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
does the head have to come out to do it? is it something that can be done in the truck?

·
1,099 Posts
I think it can be done with the head on the truck. You just pull the valve cover and rotate the motor until you find the sticky lifter. You could pull the head, but I think that that would be overkill, and take a significant amount of time...

·
Going for Broke
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ya im really debating doing this myself.I have been searching for some how to's on this, but havent found anything great yet. Ive never messed around with heads before. from what ive found it doesnt look to be too hard just time consuming. and since its on the pass side nothing is really in the way.

Does anyone of any good pictures or links they can toss my way? If i can save myself $750 and lose a weekend i will bust it out.

I really appreciate all the help everyone

/mike

·
Going for Broke
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The cheapest lash tool i could find is $102 from sears.com , I checked summit and couldnt figure out the right one cause theres like 20 of em. anyone know of a place to get one cheaper?

·
PAY UP SUCKA!!!
4,777 Posts
Ok, I'm going outside the box here...........If the lifters are sticking first thing I would try is some SeaFoam in the oil. If that didn't work then I would go Old School and put some ATF in the engine and let it idle for about 10 minutes and then change the oil.

If that don't work then go with the replacement. Just make sure the noise your hearing isn't the injectors.......they can be loud and sound like a lifter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts