Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard rumor that the Diablosport Predator might soon have a firmware update available that will enable the predator to store more than one tune! Any of this info true? Anyone?

If this is true I think it might be the best handheld tuner out there... what do you guys think?

-Chris

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Def the reason I never bought one, and I'm Diablo all the way.
I currently have (2) Diablo Chips, (currently using the Multi Program Delta)

I LOVE the fact that I can switch on the fly from one program to another, it may not be a funtion everyone use's Daily, HOWEVER I have NEEDED TO and HAVE USED that funtion TONS OF TIMES. AMOF last time I was at Cecil, it was waaaaaaaaaay hotter than I wanted it to be, (I was off my ET)
on one run, at the last second, I switched programs and immediatly laid down a better 60ft (1.63), and picked up a full 1/10 th over the other Program and previous run.

BOTTOM LINE IS CHOICE IS GOOOOOOOOOD, and YES I think it would sell A LOT more Predators

·
Registered
190 Posts
So what is the deal with the Predator tune blowing motors? I have heard the stock program for stock trucks, like mine is fine, but the pulley program is aggressive and may blow motors. So does anyone actually know the truth?

Just how much of a risk would someone like me be taking by putting a stock tune into a stock truck, no pulleys etc?

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Sonic,

Yes MANY have found after installing the STANDARD Predator Tunes,
that their AF and Timing WAS DANGEROUSLY High, and yes some have even eaten a Motor due to it.

From the people I've spoken to, it appears the Performance Tune is ok,
if you take 10% of timing away, and add 10% more fuel, but the "Pulley Tune" is the one that seems WAY TOO DANGEROUS in timing and AF. Some are showing AF's in the 13's :shock: and timing as high as 19-20 even after the tweaking they did. (pulled timing, added fuel)
One brother had an AF @ 16 :shock: :shock: :shock:
http://f150online.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=168113&highlight=predator

The Answer is simple, BUY IT FROM A TUNER and pay extra for a True Custom Program, designed by a Lightning Tuner, thats truly the only way people should be buying Predators for a Lightning IMO.

I should mention people in certain area's, certain altitudes, temp, + humidity seem to be OK with it, AMOF VERY STRONG AND FAST, hence thats the problem, the off the shelf Diablo Programs ARE VERY AGGRESSIVE.
I don't have a Predator, BUT I have tried off the shelf Diablo Programs on my Chip MANY TIMES, and had the same issues, --> TOO AGGRESIVE <--

Excellent Tuner, great Product, great results, but unfortunatly you CAN NOT tune a L in Cali, the same as one in NY, so depending where you are, I'd strongly recommend buying it from a tuner WITH A CUSTOM TUNE

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks Rob on clearing that up. I am still going to wait some time before I actually do any kind of tuning on my truck. Single dad with custody of 16 year old daughter so I don’t have extra cash for mistakes that could blow a motor. I agree with the “if you play you pay”.

I just want to get information so down the line I am better informed. I am thinking about getting the FTVB and maybe some other small things perhaps an intake. I am at the point I want to know as much as I can about my stock truck and how it performs before making any major changes.

G

·
Go with James

I have a autologic chip in my truck but have heard the same thing about the stock pulley tunes go KA BOOM. I would say if you gonna get a preadator get it from James at RWTD, he has done some good things with the preadator tuners on our trucks as well as the 03/04 cobras as well.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ok, hopefully this is not breaking any rules. If so then Chris please delete this post. How much is a Predator with a custom tune from one of the tuners?

I know the SCT 9100 is $425 and I believe that includes up to 3 tunes.

G

·
If you buy you from James at RWTD he will give you free lifetime tunes I know I did that and he has helped me out more than once. :D

·
Registered
367 Posts
Anonymous said:
If you buy you from James at RWTD he will give you free lifetime tunes I know I did that and he has helped me out more than once. :D
Sorry forgot to log in.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think one of the key things to the type of tune you are safe with from any tune is the quality fuel available on a daily basis and how often and deep you have your foot in the loud peddle. The cold winter temps play a big part in that to.

A bad tank of gas and cold temps with lots of timing = boooooom!

I sure miss my old flip chip in my 99 but now I have a warranty to worry about so I sure won't be going the chip route.

Up here in Denver a bit more timing is always a help. I can hardly break my tires loose on dry pavement without the brake action.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sonic Boom said:
Ok, hopefully this is not breaking any rules. If so then Chris please delete this post. How much is a Predator with a custom tune from one of the tuners?

No rules broken at all bro! :D Post up prices! US PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW WHERE THE DEALS ARE AT :shock:

:)

Chris

·
Registered
14 Posts
Predator tune blowing motors

I don't see that the tune is too agressive. Damn once I hit the dyno with my pulley program and an 8lber I saw 10/1 A/F and 14 degrees of timing. I could not even adjust it out enough. We did a custome tune and I gained another 40 ponies.
Who do you know that blew a motor with a stock or pulley tune in an untouched Predator?
Its my contention that no tune is a good one until its be on a dyno and wideband to insure that the tune is to the specific vehicle. All vehicles respond a bit differantly to tunes so find a good tuner and take a Predator with you or buy it from that tuner. This is the only way to be sure. Mail order tunes are for rookies and gamblers IMO!

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bruce,

That is a good assumption regarding the dyno/wideband. I agree it is important no matter with WHAT KIND of tune you get (via handheld programmer or mail in chip tunes)to go and get your L on the dyno, it is our friend!

·
Registered
367 Posts
I would agree Chris. What I do with James from RWTD is I have a dyno done and then I send that along with my old tune to him and tell him what I am adding and he writes me another tune I usually have it within 1 to 2 days a the latest. He has been spot on everytime on the tune by the way.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Chris said:
Sonic Boom said:

No rules broken at all bro! :D Post up prices! US PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW WHERE THE DEALS ARE AT :shock:

:)

Chris
Thanks bro, this site IS going to be awesome with REAL information...

·
Registered
159 Posts
So those of us with Predators will be able to update our Predators, right? I'd hate to have to buy another updated Predator...would rather just get a software update.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I just got off the phone with James at RWTD and he sid that in the next month there will be a firmware update to the existing predators out there that can be downloaded from the Diablo site that will allow the Preadators to hold 4 tunes. This is great news for someone like me that runs two to three different tunes depending on the track and the type of race I am in. WHOOOO HOOOO not more laptop to take to the track. :D

·
Registered
367 Posts
Oh yea I forgot to state that he told me that the update was FREEE!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts