·
Rebel from across the water
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quite a few years ago I converted my 03 to rack & pinion steering
with all parts supplied by JDM
This was way back when Vinnie had his truck in their shop for all that
custom chassis work.

Well once installed all back here in the UK, I found the steering was way to light, no feel and you could almost breath on the wheel to turn it.
So I took out the power steering pump and put a smaller spring into the
relief valve and made an extended fitting so I could be removed using a 13mm spanner insitu for further adjustment.

Well during my motor out re-build this year I noticed some seepage from the pump shaft to sought a replacement.
Did some research on pressure and flow between steering box and rack.
The solution was fit the Mustang pump, the result was a pump now matched to the rack for flow & pressure.
The feel through the wheel is much more positive, not to light and
an improvement all round.

Part number on the box STP-225-RM

Would like to thank Julie and the team at JDM for your assistance
with all my truck related requirements over the years. :bigtu

·
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
14,675 Posts
is that pump a bolt-on replacement? or was special mounting/pulley mods required?

I just swapped a rack in as well, but haven't installed the motor or pump yet.

·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It will bolt right on just as the standard pump does
You may need to play about with the hose connections a bit.
I cheated - got JDM to supply new pump with nice new pulley already fitted.
The old one was a bit shabby :)
[smilie=3g

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Just convert to manual rack and you wont have to worry about pumps hahaha. Nice work

Reactions: CDG306

·
14,675 Posts
Any feedback from guys with a rack and hydraboost? Curious if that "dampens" the sensitivity of the stock pump having another thing in the loop or not

My pump is tapped for AN fittings anyway so that doesn't really matter.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Does anyone happen to have pictures of what their power steering conversion looks like? I don't know if I've ever seen the one that JDM made. I'm getting ready to do this soon myself. I just need to find a way to mount it and what to do with the steering shaft.

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
12,063 Posts
I made my own rack mount bracket and then bought a steering shaft support bracket from Joe Gambino..
Joe sells the rack bracket and steering support bracket. PM me if you would like Joe's number..

·
14,675 Posts
Well I ordered one of these. Going to drop it off this week to get it drilled and tapped for AN fittings.

Sure hope it works well after dropping the coin lol

·
14,675 Posts
hey @Ricki , do you know what fittings you are using on the pump? Or any way you can find out? I bought the same pump, and not sure what the heck kind of fitting it's supposed to use.

·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Hi just to catch up on this and update a bit, first bit of decent weather to go out and adjust a few things.

Alignment done to preferred spec camber -0.54 both sides
Toe was -0.05 both
So all the new parts and cams are doing the job.

However I will add some more -ve camber maybe up to -1.0
Rims are 20" Centreline so a bit lighter than stock
Tyres are Pirelli P-Zero 295/40 R20
Also have Belltech drop spindles and SSBC front brake kit
OA1's all round.

Metco Link Bars and the lower short spring leaf removed. from rear, with drop shackles as well.
Truck sits low and level but not stupid low to keep bottoming out on the stops, Have frame notch which allows for a bit more travel.
Shock extenders on rear.

Still getting some road surface wander so will get alignment done again but in order make some adjustments.

Steering pump is Mustang to match the Rack
But I have been trialing reducing the pump pressure by cutting down the spring a bit.
Will reduce down a bit more as this has reduced the road wander a hell of a lot and got more feel into the steering.

Have also extended the pressure plug on the pump with a 1/2"
hex so it can be undone insitu with ease.
Will reduce down a bit more and keep testing on the same stretch of highway.

:cheers

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Road surface wander could be the tires (tyres). The original Goodyears were terrible about that. I switched to Toyos (two sets) and the problem went away. Currently running Nitto 555's and no issues. GL!

·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I did swap back to my 18" original rims and Hankook - canthook tyres which gave no issue before but was pretty much the same.
Will have another trial run later today if it stays dry.

I will not be beaten :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I lowered my L with Belltech 2" drop spindles up front. Of course I lost some turning radius and have aquired the popping sound that clunk washers are suppose to fix. My question is, do you guys think that rack n pinion will fix these issues??? Thanks in advance!

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
12,063 Posts
My truck had the clunk, I replaced everything...added clunk washers and still had the clunk.
Since the rack install, the clunk is gone.

As for the turning radius, Take the restrictor's out of the rack. Ford uses a restrictor for the lager wheel size...
16" wheel no restrictor
17" wheel 1/4" restrictor
18" wheel 1/2" restrictor
If you were to remove the boot's from the rack, you will see the restrictor on the racks main shaft.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts