Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 5 amp fuse for my power mirrors keeps blowing. If I replace the fuse it will work fine until I turn on the turn signal and then it pops the fuse immediately. I have pulled off both door panels and looked at the wiring to see if anything had been cut but could not find anything wrong with the wiring. I went ahead and replaced both mirror turn signal bulbs (2001 lightning) just in case there was an issue with the bulbs but I still have the problem. The fuse diagram says that the #4 fuse powers the mirrors and the mirror turn signal relays but I am not really sure where those relays are. I thought about the flasher relay but the rest of the turn signals work just fine. I am not sure where the wiring comes together because it seems like power to the turn signals is what is causing the fuse to blow. I did take a look at the multifunction switch which had one wire loose. I tried to lock the wire back into the connector but the tab was broken. After reinstalling the harness into the multifunction switch I pushed that connector into make sure it was connected but that did not solve my problem. Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas?

·
Dude
2,363 Posts
I have not experienced that but there are the hinge points at both the door and also the mirror. I would inspect both and see if a broken wire or a pair of broken wires may be causing your pronlems

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
local painter
3,245 Posts
My power mirrors are also INOP. 2001 also. Interested to see what the issue is.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I had an issue with my truck..I had no headlights .. being in Canada my truck has daytime running lamps so if the truck is running the front end is lit up but not fully
- so for a few months I drove at night on parking lamps & daytime running lamps

I thought I had an issue with the multi function switch , signals , high/low beams , wipers..

then someone told me about the wiring to that switch .. and about how it's just a little to short inside the column where it has to flex to accommodate the tilt wheel option ..

they told me to take the covers off behind the steering wheel and to check for a broken wire..

and in this case they were right .. I found a wire that was broken right at the flex point.. broken inside the insolation .. so that when I had the steering wheel tilted all the way up the headlamps worked.. but tilted down , they did not

so.. your turn signal might be shorting out right below the upper steering column cover..

the wiring is right there on top , going over the hinging portions of the column and it's all bare metal in that area that stretches the wiring tight when the column is tilted down

good news is it won't be hard to get at or fix.. with a little piece of wire spliced in..
edit
and, when you see how XXXXing tight ford left the wiring at that hinged part of the column you'll understand why I said check here first
and why I say,
somewhere at ford someone deserves a good swift kick in the rump for this one...

·
Registered
250 Posts
for in-op power mirrors .. always start with the switch you don't really use much

consider the lack of regular use allows the contacts to corrode without regular or frequent friction to keep them worn clean .. that and the rain that can fall in the window .. usually right on the door switches

1 - 6 of 6 Posts