1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
Yes it was should of done it years ago.

·
El duderino
13,077 Posts
yes, but i wish i got mine all the way dialed in before i had babies...that reeeaaallly delays the timeline

·
one part at a time
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been talking with a few guys about kits for sale, but I am a stainless pipe welder and fitter by trade, so I have unlimited access to any size of stainless tubing and material. And I'm fully capable of making just about anything out of metal. The only thing holding me up is if I should get shorty headers and modify them, or just get some header-to-head flanges and make my own, if I did, I'm thinking something like a log setup. 1 7/8-2" primaries, then have them all foward-swept at a 45 degree angle and coped into a 3" log, then have a v-band ferrule at the end. It seems this would save a ton on space, but would the log type manifold flow decently? I can post a hand drawn scetch of what I'm talking about

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
I have been researching this alot myself. I've seen big name shops doing log manifolds as you described. I think I'm going to go this route: http://cgfabrication.com/collections/ford-5-4-modular-headers

Granted those are for 4v, but the design of the header may be something you can replicate and Im sure flows better than a log manifold.

·
Panty Dropper
5,911 Posts
Sub'd. I remember George offering a header system that used a crossover from the drivers side to passenger and a log style manifold on the passenger side. Seems pretty simple, although I don't recall if the AC has to be deleted/relocated.

·
one part at a time
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just wish I didn't spend so much time on the road... Id be on it right now, so far the only header flanges I can find are all mild steel, would like a stainless one

·
one part at a time
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sub'd. I remember George offering a header system that used a crossover from the drivers side to passenger and a log style manifold on the passenger side. Seems pretty simple, although I don't recall if the AC has to be deleted/relocated.

Logan, is the flange toward the rear, the connection for the crossover from the drivers side?

·
Its just a 2v :]
647 Posts
Do it !! I seen someone post CG fabrication once my motor is together I'll be using their 2v headers an everything on my truck with a billet 7675 Auto part Engine Furniture Metal

⚡⚡Turbo power for the win ??⚡⚡

·
Boostaholic
4,729 Posts
I've been talking with a few guys about kits for sale, but I am a stainless pipe welder and fitter by trade, so I have unlimited access to any size of stainless tubing and material. And I'm fully capable of making just about anything out of metal. The only thing holding me up is if I should get shorty headers and modify them, or just get some header-to-head flanges and make my own, if I did, I'm thinking something like a log setup. 1 7/8-2" primaries, then have them all foward-swept at a 45 degree angle and coped into a 3" log, then have a v-band ferrule at the end. It seems this would save a ton on space, but would the log type manifold flow decently? I can post a hand drawn scetch of what I'm talking about
If you are indeed a welder then build your own manifolds

Next you will not want large primaries
You wont want a 3" log

Turbo setups are about velocity

·
one part at a time
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And lightning1, what size is all the piping in that setup? It looks close to 2" primaries into 3"?

·
one part at a time
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If using sch10 then they will be 1.625 id for primaries then use 2.5 for log
I was going to use stainless tubing, instead of schedule, the tubing is .065 wall, will there be potential for cracking out if I do tubing?

·
one part at a time
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
by the way George, I looked up 412 motorsports, very nice work! this is only a side project of mine, but if it turns out half as nice as your builds, ill be thilled

·
one part at a time
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I do have 2 questions though, what is the advantage of venting wastegate to atmosphere instead of tying it into the downpipe? and if your drivers side ties into the back of the passenger side before going to the turbo, how does your passenger o2 function?

·
Boostaholic
4,729 Posts
Venting has more control, less turbulence with low pressure is introduced into the high pressure downpipe
Its easier alot of times to vent

02 sensors in this setup work just like stock

1 - 20 of 36 Posts