Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine told me that he has heard of a "black box" to piggy back the computers ecu via obd2 port. It pretty much says hi everythings cool here like the system readiness monitors or any codes. I search google for a bit and came up with a few different things. Here's one http://www.ozenelektronik.com/?s=products2&group=eobd-obdii-ecu-simulators
The lotus guys are talking about it here.
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f17...mission-test-standalone-ecu-31035/index2.html
YouTube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZsH4O9kZJ0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This defiantly sparks my interest especially since a lot of us are struggling to pass with all this new inspection test.

·
Ford Certified Technician
5,194 Posts
well legal on paper....lol this is what I need too.
wonder where I can get one?

·
Ford Certified Technician
5,194 Posts
Curious if your VIN number is attached to the unit some how

·
NO RAGRETS!!!
12,123 Posts
We scan the barcode on the door jam for emissions inspection. The plug in would have to look like a factory connector.

If you could move the factory plug and install this in it's place you should have no issues. I'm not sure if the DEQ has the testing equipment setup to double check to see if the PCM is VIN matched or not. Never run into that issue before.

Definitely a neat product for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
I am sure at some point though if these become a big thing they will go the way of the Casper's Mil Eliminators. Great idea I am sure they could cost ya alot of money if ya got caught. Very interesting though if they could put out proper info it would be hard to tell the difference them and a stock computer.

·
Even Then I Was Old Skool!
10,411 Posts
Pretty sure that in MA they do both... read the ECU via OBDII and then scan the door. That prevents anyone from inspecting one vehicle and giving a sticker to another sitting alongside I think.

The Black Box concept sounds like a great idea for those people who really have inspection issues. But honestly, I don't know if its overkill. Time will tell. If the inspection equipment can determine that the ECU has been actually modified, that'd be the killer if they demand compliance with OEM standards. If all they're doing is checking systems to be functional, turning on everything in the tune should be enough.

My inspection is scheduled for October, so we'll see if the truck passes or fails. Paul checked and left everything on, but there was one (1) code that we couldn't do anything with. I think it was a P0605 code.

Mike

·
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
14,701 Posts
yep pretty sure it gets the vin info through the OBDII so like oldtimer said, it prevents people from scanning one door jamb bar code, and plugging into another vehicles OBDII, just like you could do on the old tailpipe sniffer tests.

I'm surprised nobody's tackled it the simpler way rather than a full OBDII simulation device like those. The O2 sims already exist and works perfectly. Surprised nobody has made an EGR sim to plug or splice into the EGR wiring and simulate whatever signals that produces. Would take a little R&D time, but I wouldn't think EGR's operate very differently from vehicle to vehicle.

·
NO RAGRETS!!!
12,123 Posts
Contacted my DEQ rep and he did verify that the testing equipment does VIN match the barcode to both the vehicle and the PCM.

SO, unless we can add the VIN to the "Black Box".... it won't help.

I'd really like to find out some more info on this as I see a ton of us needing a product just like this in the future.

·
NO RAGRETS!!!
12,123 Posts
Funny thing is that Volkswagan Diagnostic equipment has the ability to turn off check engine lights and show a pass for monitors even if there is no Cats or EGR valve anywhere near the engine. I used to get a good chunk of change from VDUB customers with CEL's.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Pretty sure that in MA they do both... read the ECU via OBDII and then scan the door. That prevents anyone from inspecting one vehicle and giving a sticker to another sitting alongside I think.

The Black Box concept sounds like a great idea for those people who really have inspection issues. But honestly, I don't know if its overkill. Time will tell. If the inspection equipment can determine that the ECU has been actually modified, that'd be the killer if they demand compliance with OEM standards. If all they're doing is checking systems to be functional, turning on everything in the tune should be enough.

My inspection is scheduled for October, so we'll see if the truck passes or fails. Paul checked and left everything on, but there was one (1) code that we couldn't do anything with. I think it was a P0605 code.

Mike
Mike,

That wasn't a code, It is a switch inside the SCT software that prevents a code due to having a chip or a reflash.

It only shows up when you compare your tune to the stock tune in the SCT software. (It shows the differences between the two tunes)

Also, on the CEL issue for the Cat ineficiency, Maybe this ???

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1022_1035_1069&products_id=2009

Paul

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.