Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Jeffv333
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed each time I stomp on the truck all the way, it makes a marble popping sound at high RPM's.

Is this predetonation? If so, how do I fix it?

Truck is currently "stock" with VB and K&N intake.

I'm gonna throw some COGS and 6lb pulley with a good tune later on. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
2004 Sonic Blue Truck is # 3348 of 3781 built on 05/03/2004
3,251 Posts
So I noticed each time I stomp on the truck all the way, it makes a marble popping sound at high RPM's.

Is this predetonation? If so, how do I fix it?

Truck is currently "stock" with VB and K&N intake.

I'm gonna throw some COGS and 6lb pulley with a good tune later on. Just an FYI.
Could be or could be bearings in blower or idler pulleys.

·
Stock block 11 second club
10,556 Posts
Most likely detonation. What is the highest octane fuel in your area?

Also, detonation and pre-ignition exist and are two different animals but there's no such thing as pre-detonation :smt023.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Your pinging IMO check your intercooler pump make sure it's flowing.

·
Administrator
18,571 Posts
Most likely detonation. What is the highest octane fuel in your area?

Also, detonation and pre-ignition exist and are two different animals but there's no such thing as pre-detonation :smt023.
One might argue that anything that happens before detonation is "pre-detonation".

OP, stay out of throttle until this is solved. Octane up at once to see if that helps at all(you are using Premium fuel, right?). Do this by adding race fuel or Torco. As mentioned already, make sure the IC pump is operating. Pull plugs and inspect for signs of detonation.

Jim

·
Jeffv333
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked plugs already, since I'm throwin more boost soon, I'll pull them again and update.

I put 91, but I haven't found another place that sells higher octane.

It pops or like marbles in a can every time it's at wot at high RPM.
I'll try to find some higher octane, I knew I was pinging, just wanted to make sure.
Intercooler is working, I was at the track when I noticed it happening, and it did it twice when I raced my buddies camaro, it loves to do it on hot days.

·
Dude
2,363 Posts
You need a good tune right away. Keep your foot out of it or your gonna be putting a lot more than a pulley and some cogs into it!:ahhhh:smt021:smt023

·
Jeffv333
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You need a good tune right away. Keep your foot out of it or your gonna be putting a lot more than a pulley and some cogs into it!:ahhhh:smt021:smt023
Yeah of course, sorry I forgot to mention that. The set up will come with a tune from JJ.

·
Stock block 11 second club
10,556 Posts
The higher the charge temp the higher the propensity for detonation.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Check / change out your fuel filter. Also wouldn't hurt to check your fuel pressure in case a pump has gone bad or a broken hose / fitting in the pump assembly.

Bird

·
Panty Dropper
5,911 Posts
Fuel pressure seems low, and your charge temp seems extraordinarily high unless this was immediately after a pull. You said the innercooler pump is working? How did you verify?

·
Jeffv333
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fuel pressure seems low, and your charge temp seems extraordinarily high unless this was immediately after a pull. You said the innercooler pump is working? How did you verify?
28psi during idle is ok. It's still within specs.
Right before pull, and yes it is working because I'm in line for like 30min before a pull it starts climbing, no air flow since I'm waiting in line.
After a run, it goes down to like 130. Keep in mind it's hot here.
I know it's working because charge temps vary on weather, if I'm at a stop they climb, if I'm running it cools, but it's circulating. I have seen the bubbles in the reservoir plenty times. The pump is not an issue.

Also I was stepping on the gas to get some air flow through the radiator and the charge temps started to cool down to 125, clutch fan must have been cooling the HE somehow, but as I did this it would make my Trans Temp climb lol so no real good route here. Electric fans would work best.

·
Panty Dropper
5,911 Posts
28psi during idle is ok. It's still within specs.
Right before pull, and yes it is working because I'm in line for like 30min before a pull it starts climbing, no air flow since I'm waiting in line.
After a run, it goes down to like 130. Keep in mind it's hot here.
I know it's working because charge temps vary on weather, if I'm at a stop they climb, if I'm running it cools, but it's circulating. I have seen the bubbles in the reservoir plenty times. The pump is not an issue.

Also I was stepping on the gas to get some air flow through the radiator and the charge temps started to cool down to 125, clutch fan must have been cooling the HE somehow, but as I did this it would make my Trans Temp climb lol so no real good route here. Electric fans would work best.
What specs might that be? You're pulling 24" of vacuum or you aren't set correctly. I highly doubt you're pulling that much vacuum, so I'm going with the latter. You didn't have any background info on the picture, but it does make sense for it to be high if you're idling in the staging lanes for 30 mins. Why are you doing that? Your inner cooler reservoir should look like a waterfall, or a strong water hose shooting across. "Bubbles" isn't indicative of a strong pump.

Id usually be with the pre-ignition crowd, but since your charge temps are so high initially I'd bet your pulling timing almost immediately. Doesn't rule out detonation, but I still think the pump could be a culprit. How much boost are you running and what pressure do you see at WOT?

·
Jeffv333
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm starting to wonder if the Torque Converter could be an issue....
It only did it at high speeds. It wouldn't marble at low speeds high RPM.

Fuel Pressure was measured through a sensor reading from fuel rail outputting it through a gauge. Just like the picture shows, it's all labeled on the gauges on what is what.
This was right before I did my run, all the temps shown above.

Fuel Pressure Specs:
At idle; 28-45psi per Ford Specs
I'm reading 28psi on mine, rises as I go into WOT. I can't remember what it reads, 50?

Intercooler is running right, that's what I mean by "bubbles", a huge amount of moving foamy bubbly water, it's moving and circulating strong. It works.

It's stock boost. I have a 2.9 pulley on there, I believe the stock pulley measures 2.93, but that 0.03 shouldn't make a difference to where I'll need a tune.

·
Registered
2004 Sonic Blue Truck is # 3348 of 3781 built on 05/03/2004
3,251 Posts
Easiest way to know

Stand on it till something breaks. Once broken repair/replace.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I'm starting to wonder if the Torque Converter could be an issue....
It only did it at high speeds. It wouldn't marble at low speeds high RPM.

Fuel Pressure was measured through a sensor reading from fuel rail outputting it through a gauge. Just like the picture shows, it's all labeled on the gauges on what is what.
This was right before I did my run, all the temps shown above.

Fuel Pressure Specs:
At idle; 28-45psi per Ford Specs
I'm reading 28psi on mine, rises as I go into WOT. I can't remember what it reads, 50?

Intercooler is running right, that's what I mean by "bubbles", a huge amount of moving foamy bubbly water, it's moving and circulating strong. It works.

It's stock boost. I have a 2.9 pulley on there, I believe the stock pulley measures 2.93, but that 0.03 shouldn't make a difference to where I'll need a tune.
What are your charge Temps after a WOT pull?

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
More important questions are...
What is your Air/Fuel when it is pinging?
What is your fuel pressure when it is pinging?
What is your spark advance when it is pinging?

^^^ Those are all things you can look at on your Aeroforce gauges and will give you a much better idea of what is happening with your motor.

I seriously doubt your charge temperatures have anything to do with detonation at this point. PCMs pull timing appropriately to air charge temps. Spark advance and octane have a much larger effect in aiding or resisting detonation. If the pinging exists at high RPMs of any gear then this is not due to air charge temps.

·
Jeffv333
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
At Idle:
Charge Temp-115
Fuel Pressure-28.4-28.9
A/F Ratio-14.5-14.7

At WOT
Charge Temp-118
Fuel Pressure-44-46
A/F Ratio-10.4-11.7

Right after letting go off WOT
Charge Temp-120
Fuel Pressure-27.4-28
A/F Ratio-19.8 dropped to 14.7 after.
Then Charge Temp drops to about 113.

This was done this morning, it was cool outside, and I didn't get any noises. All smooth and clean supercharger sound. When coasting I saw Charge Temps drop to about 98.

·
Jeffv333
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am going to conclude the engine was just running too hot and the hot air from the intercooler pushed inside the engine, caused it to ping or detonate. I need to find a way to cool down my intercooler in hot weather, or just stay out of boost when intercooler temps reach above 135.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts