Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Delvallo
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i am thinking about ditching my PLX device obdII gauge reasons for, it wont read my ait2 sensor, i have to buy a after market kit, it wont read the water temp correctly, keeps giving me a no single.... ill have to buy a water temp sensor in order to install the wide band and boost gauge i need to install a fuse bus... all in all its 300 more bucks ( on top of the to 529 i have into this POS gauge) to get these 4 parameters

air fuel
boost
ait
water

... i have been looking into the aeroforce interceptor. everyone on here has it, and i should have just gone this route from the get go, im a friggin jerk

my questions are, is it true you only have to plug the OBDII plug in? if so does anyone experience radio issues? i know with all the PLX control boxes in the glove box, its screwing up my radio and only have about 2-3 stations come in out of all my presets :( another thing is, is there a list of all the parameters the interceptor reads on the lightning? PLX gave me a list of all kinds of parameters but the important ones always fart out and dont read...

how user friendly is the interceptor? is there a remote to select options? is there a way to set up a boot screen where 2 parameters i want show up automatically?

i know i read on their site they have a option that scrolls threw all the readings automatically, is there an option to scroll threw only 4 parameters?

im just really disgusted with PLX...

any input on the aeroforce is greatly appreciated, thanks guys

danny

·
Delvallo
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
heres the list of parameters from their site

• RPM
  • MPH
  • Intake Air Temperature (post Intercooler)
  • Ambient Air Temperature (pre Intercooler)
  • Engine Coolant Temperature
  • Exhaust Gas Temperature (PCM Calculated)
  • Transmission Temp. (auto trans)
  • Manifold Pressure (vacuum/boost) displayed in PSI
  • Fuel Temperature
  • Battery Voltage
  • Battery Temp
  • Injector Pulse Width in msec.
  • Injector Duty Cycle (%)
  • Air Flow Rate into engine
  • Long Term Fuel Trim
  • Short Term Fuel Trim
  • O2 Sensor Voltage
  • Barometric Pressure
  • Ignition Advance
  • Base Spark
  • PCM Spark Adjust
  • Fuel Status (open/closed loop)
  • Wastegate Solenoid Duty Cycle (%)
  • Knock Retard
  • Knock Sensor Raw Voltage
  • Throttle Position Percentage
  • Throttle Position Sensor Raw Volts
  • Calculated Net Horsepower
  • Engine Load
  • Transmission Slip
  • Current Transmission Gear
  • Torque Delivered to Transmission
  • Torque Converter lockup status
  • Brake pressure
  • Brake Booster Travel
  • Steering Angle
  • Non-driven Wheel Speed
  • Lateral G's
  • Yaw
  • Fuel economy (instantaneous and average)
  • P-ratio - pressure ratio MAP/Barometer
  • 2 user configurable analog inputs**
is it true the lightning reads ALL of the above?

·
Even Then I Was Old Skool!
10,411 Posts
Danny...

The guy to talk to is Lew. He sells them, services them, and can sell you a variety of configurations that include sensors/wiring/tubing/whatever to milk 100% out of the Interceptor. The gauge has two displays that you can cycle through and show two different selections simultaneously, one in each display. Out of the box, the gauge doesn't give you everything, but it does give you a lot. Talk to Lew about the accessories.

LOL... I think you need a PHD in electronic engineering to fully exploit the gauge, I've had mine for 2 years and there's still stuff I don't understand but I'm too lazy to ask Lew. As far as radio interference... that's the first time I've heard that question. No interference in my Alpine head unit.

MIKE

·
Stiffler's guinea pig
6,767 Posts
No you don't get all of the ones above, but most of them.

I got the original gauge when it came out several years ago. Just plugs into the OBD port like you said. Simple as that. I have never noticed any kind of interference on the radio..

I just had my truck out this evening. I am currently displaying tranny and IAT2 (charge) temps. It will stay on those settings until I change it. No remote. It just has these small posts on the face of the gauge that you depress to toggle thru the various parameters.

I highly recommend the gauge to everyone and anyone. I would say if I could only have 2 gauges in my truck it would be the Interceptor and an A/F gauge.

·
Administrator
18,748 Posts
I bought a Dashdaq Series 2 years ago to monitor and datalog OBD2 outputs. But it did not have all the features that had been adverised. Not being computer savvy, I never got it "updated" to do what it was supposed to do. I threw it in the corner of my closet. I may bring it to Paul's when I have him work on my truck and maybe he can get it working correctly. I do need to do some datalogging if I want to maximize my performance.

Jim

·
Delvallo
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks so much guys for the info, mike whats lew username?

i should have gone this route from day one... the main reason was they were on back order remember? should have freck;n waited...

having it read tranny temps right out of the box is amazing, im going to order this thing

danny

·
Stiffler's guinea pig
6,767 Posts

·
Delvallo
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
one of the main reasons i went PLX was because u can have 4 parameters on 1 screen, i just read the aeroforce website and saw u can have them scroll threw up to 8 different parameters.... im so upset i should have looked into this more

if anyone wants a brand new PLX obdII with A/F and boost, check the classifieds, it will be cheap

danny

·
Guilty by Association
19,345 Posts
I bought a Dashdaq Series 2 years ago to monitor and datalog OBD2 outputs. But it did not have all the features that had been adverised. Not being computer savvy, I never got it "updated" to do what it was supposed to do. I threw it in the corner of my closet. I may bring it to Paul's when I have him work on my truck and maybe he can get it working correctly. I do need to do some datalogging if I want to maximize my performance.

Jim
Dashdaq is an awesome tool, a bit big for my liking but if mounted right they look great and function very well. That said I still prefer the "stock" look the interceptor gives you.

OP
The Interceptor does require add on's for BOOST, WIDEBAND, FUEL PRESSURE. not really the gauge's fault, ford didn't make it available to the computer to monitor.

·
Delvallo
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dashdaq is an awesome tool, a bit big for my liking but if mounted right they look great and function very well. That said I still prefer the "stock" look the interceptor gives you.

OP
The Interceptor does require add on's for BOOST, WIDEBAND, FUEL PRESSURE. not really the gauge's fault, ford didn't make it available to the computer to monitor.
i was looking to see if it reads fuel pressure, i knew about the boost, and wideband but i mean if it already reads, water temp, iat2 temp, trans temp... i cant go wrong if i want the PLX to read this its going to be over 300 bucks...

anyone know lews username?

danny

·
Guilty by Association
19,345 Posts

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
I have a dual gauge and the analogic gauge that I might need to sell.

I tried them out but decided to use an android tablet and go more custom than pillar gauges.

I also tried the plx gauges and did not like the lack of IAT2, also. They are for sale, too......if you don't want to monitor IAT2. ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.