·
Divergent
13,541 Posts
You can spend 1000 dollars much better.

Get the blower ported by Johnny @ JPS or Jokerzl @ Jokerz Porting
Buy a used 6lb lower from the classified for 60 bux
NGK tr6s can be bought at oreillys for $14
Fuel filter, $7

That kit doesnt appear to have a upgraded MAF, so its pretty pointelss IMO.
SCT BA2600

I guess the x4 with tune is the big dollar item....but ive seen too many users with x4 have big failures where id go with an x3.
Call the vendor you'd like to do tuning with and see if they have any x3s still on the shelf. Would save some bux to be spent elsewhere. Its not like having the fanciest handheld tuner makes you go faster. Once you load it, your done.

·
Registered
148 Posts
How much horsepower do you think it can make & is it safe for my stock 2000 ? I think it's stock anyway Thanks

·
Dude
2,363 Posts
I'd also look into a single blade throttle body. But the X4 is an awesome tuner.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can spend 1000 dollars much better.

Get the blower ported by Johnny @ JPS or Jokerzl @ Jokerz Porting
Buy a used 6lb lower from the classified for 60 bux
NGK tr6s can be bought at oreillys for $14
Fuel filter, $7

That kit doesnt appear to have a upgraded MAF, so its pretty pointelss IMO.
SCT BA2600

I guess the x4 with tune is the big dollar item....but ive seen too many users with x4 have big failures where id go with an x3.
Call the vendor you'd like to do tuning with and see if they have any x3s still on the shelf. Would save some bux to be spent elsewhere. Its not like having the fanciest handheld tuner makes you go faster. Once you load it, your done.
My understanding is that the 01+ came with a 90MM MAF so upgrading is not necessary at this power level. :smt102

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Modding Fever gets the best of us. No end to it - have a long range plan, to avoid wasting money.

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
11,114 Posts
My understanding is that the 01+ came with a 90MM MAF so upgrading is not necessary at this power level. :smt102
While this may be true during the warmer months, it would be prudent to go easy on the truck during the colder months. That is when the stock MAF can be overwhelmed. I myself only have a two pound lower, and still have the stock MAF and stock tune. I have no problems, even during the cold season.

I have a six pound lower in my garage, just don't want to mess with data logging and tuning in order to use it. :ahhhh

·
Divergent
13,541 Posts
In my best sensei voice....one too cheap to buy a maf should not mod at all.
A blown engine will set you back 25 to 50 times the cost of a maf.

Guys have ran 6lb lower pulleys with stock mafs and been fine....and guys have pegged a stock 90mm maf with stock pullies on a cold night...its a stupid gamble no one should take over a 200 dollar part that can be tuned at the same time everything else is done.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Thanks for the info guys,

So what all do I need to safely run a 4# lower?
Where do you live? Try to get a dyno tune by a tuner with Lightning knowledge. This will usually be a custom tune with a handheld (SCT X3 or X4). They can see where your Maf counts are and advise if you need a new Maf. Like others have said, some have pegged meters with 4 or 6+ lowers and some have not. But a grenaded engine will set you back $6k up.
Josh

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'd go with a new MAF either way, honestly. It's inexpensive insurance unless you already have say $8-10k set aside for a shortblock+heads. (assuming you're doing your own labor)

The stock 90mm size is good enough but the sensor won't read high enough. MAFia is a cheaper alternative to the SCT2600, but I'd go SCT2600 or BA2400 if you can afford it.

Just this man's opinion.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where do you live? Try to get a dyno tune by a tuner with Lightning knowledge. This will usually be a custom tune with a handheld (SCT X3 or X4). They can see where your Maf counts are and advise if you need a new Maf. Like others have said, some have pegged meters with 4 or 6+ lowers and some have not. But a grenaded engine will set you back $6k up.
Josh
Coeur D Alene, Idaho, I don't think there are many....or any tuners around here LOL

·
Registered
417 Posts
With your climate and age of truck it would be good insurance to upgrade your Maf. But remember it will also need tuned for the new Maf. The big three do email tuning too.

·
10 SECOND CLUB!
914 Posts
WMS

·
Registered
417 Posts
The big three being JLP, JDM, and?
Yes. Also LFP. I think WMS does their tuning. Also a few others on this board too like Eric Korn

1 - 16 of 16 Posts