Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do you guys think people that you donated money to in good faith should make it a priority to pay that money back to you? I'm sure you guys have seen more than one thread on a forum where someone or a well-meaning friend of theirs starts a thread outlining the details of a situation where someone is going to lose something if they don't get donations. What gets me is that all too often, this person is later posting about some new toy they've just gotten, but you never hear about anyone being paid back (and in my case, I wasn't).

Now, I know that no one twisted my arm and that I gave freely. Hell, I didn't even donate that much so the money's not an issue. But I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that we be reimbursed before the recipient of our donations buys themselves something totally unnecessary. Because of this, I don't really see myself going out of my way to do anything like that again.

So what say you? How many others out there have felt a little burned when donating?

·
Guilty by Association
19,345 Posts
??
Link to other thread

And to answer your question, if I donate money to anyone I never expect anything in return and if I see them buy something later, its almost an accomplishment for me. I had a part in helping them get back on track and live a better life. I can only think of one situation I have seen in the past couple of year that if I HAD donated money I would have been pissed.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
??
Link to other thread
Don't see the need to make things worse for the guy and I probably shouldn't have mentioned that in the first part of my post anyway since it really has nothing to do with him....in case someone reads this thread and infers otherwise.

Excuse my typing before I think ;)

And I should clarify that I didn't mean "donating" in general. I meant specifically sending money to people who share a common interest, usually a hobby or something that isn't essential to our survival, and having them use that money to further their hobby. I'm not about to call out the Salvation Army as a bunch of ingrates ;)

·
Fat Bastad
2,756 Posts
When I give I give freely. It would be silly and immature on my part to expect somebody to pay me back despite if they ended up doing well after the fact or not. After all wasn't the intent to keep them out of trouble or a hard time? If people are going to get their feelings hurt because somebody didn't pay them back then they should probably not "Give" in the first place or they're taking a huge chance of setting themselves up for emotional dissapointment when the person that they gave to doesn't "re-imburse" them. Of course nothing is wrong with an individual returning a favor somehow but holding them accountable for it either emotionally or otherwise... ehhh. It just seems childish to me.

Roach

·
Fat Bastad
2,756 Posts
i think i remember something back in the day where someone was losing there truck, and guy gave some money, then after a few months sold the truck.
I read about something like that a few years ago over on a different board. It wasn't NLOC either...

Guy claimed healthcare needs blah blah... and turned around and sold his truck after it all. He also always had a history of which he seemed quick to "jump" on others and impose/abuse "certain" powers that he had. I was never a big fan of his though never had a personal bone to pick with him either. I didn't donate. I did tend to avoid him. I thought he was a bit confrontational my self so I chose not to engage or supply him with any fodder. It was simply my impression that he thought highly of himself to the point where he left me with the impression that he would commonly look down upon others. It's as though he was quick to judge others but could do no wrong himself. Guy just rubbed me the wrong way I suppose. I know LOTS of others complained openly about him. Up until now I never did.

I'm sure some of you will know who I'm talking about. It wasn't a big secret at all at the time. I still visit there now and then so I'm not going to say who it is per say other than the few details that I've mentioned here.

Roach

·
Guilty by Association
19,345 Posts
I read about something like that a few years ago over on a different board. It wasn't NLOC either...

Guy claimed healthcare needs blah blah... and turned around and sold his truck after it all. He also always had a history of which he seemed quick to "jump" on others and impose/abuse "certain" powers that he had. I was never a big fan of his though never had a personal bone to pick with him either. I didn't donate. I did tend to avoid him. I thought he was a bit confrontational my self so I chose not to engage or supply him with any fodder. It was simply my impression that he thought highly of himself to the point where he left me with the impression that he would commonly look down upon others. It's as though he was quick to judge others but could do no wrong himself. Guy just rubbed me the wrong way I suppose. I know LOTS of others complained openly about him. Up until now I never did.

I'm sure some of you will know who I'm talking about. It wasn't a big secret at all at the time. I still visit there now and then so I'm not going to say who it is per say other than the few details that I've mentioned here.

Roach
LOL
Sounds like a clown!

·
She's back!!!
3,552 Posts
I see where you are coming from but when you donate that's what it is....a donation and you take your chances that the person or agency that you donate to, is doing the right thing with the cash. Just my .2

·
Brick Aviator
338 Posts
Well before those there was a guy a bunch of us f150online guys helped rebuild his truck and then he sold it, needless to say we felt a bit turned off but we did it because we wanted to help someone who at the time was a good member of the Lightning community and had made numerous threads with tons of good info. So anytime you do something along these lines there is the possibility that no good will come back to you, so do as you feel and want to do and thats all you can.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I give I give freely. It would be silly and immature on my part to expect somebody to pay me back despite if they ended up doing well after the fact or not. After all wasn't the intent to keep them out of trouble or a hard time? If people are going to get their feelings hurt because somebody didn't pay them back then they should probably not "Give" in the first place or they're taking a huge chance of setting themselves up for emotional dissapointment.

Roach
Why exactly would it be silly and immature to expect people to take it upon themselves to repay others' generosity? It's not like we're talking life-and-death circumstances here in most cases...we're talking about someone keeping something they want, not need. I was brought up to be a believer in charity, but you can't tell me it doesn't affect you when it's abused. Kinda like when you see people using food stamps at the market to buy liquor while palming a huge wad of bills and then driving away in a Mercedes or BMW ;)

But I can't be the only person that, if faced with a similar situation, would be thinking how I'd repay all those people like you who saw fit to give me money as soon as I was able, could I?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I remember the thread in question. I thought it was quite ballsy to ask a bunch of strangers on the internet for money.

If I was extremely hard up for cash, I would try to get help from family or even extended family or I'd take a second job. There are people out there who work 80 hours a week just to survive. I would sell my vehicles, downsize into a smaller house or apartment, cancel cable, internet, and cell phone service before I would panhandle.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
If I help someone out with my time and or money I don't expect anything in return. If you feel you need to return the favor fine do so, if not it's no biggie. Simple reason is that's what friends and hobbyist (like us in the L world) do for each other. Now if it was a loan, that's a whole different ball of wax.

·
THE PROPER WAY TO POWDER THAT ASS
7,531 Posts
Jeez I hope that I am not this scumm bag? :( If not for this forum I would literally probably be homeless or living at mommies house. I have always lived beneath my means, but one time in my life circumstance arose that it didnt matter what I did. I will say that I used NONE of the money I was given on material possessions and I have actually tried my damnedest to payback some of the people most directly involved as best I could, and I fully intend to keep trying. I am still poorer than poor and working 28 days a month sun up to sundown just to get my head above water. I have not purchased 1 thing for my truck minus a back window that got smashed,from a member here mind you, and an intake (from clint that was a big part in helping me) and I thought since Clint did allot to help me I could help him? I have also sent others other things, but thats between me and them, they dont need to tell anyone anything they dont want to. I have always been of the mindset that I will do anything I can to help someone out,especially here. Even before I was gifted, I often gave away parts for the price of shipping, or more often than not covered the shipping myself.

I know of the truck that was purchased on the other forum and that made me sick. It also made me SUPER leery when I recieved the money from you guys. I would have NEVER asked for help like that, and quiet honestly I was completely taken aback when Tony called me, to the point that my long winded ass was speechless and next to tears.

I have always given all I could to charity situations that arise here, and I try to give all I can to the site itself because of how much I enjoy it. The charitable spirit that exists in this community is like none I have ever experience, and I have long been a big supporter of local charities. But honestly I wouldn't even know where to begin to pay back the people that gave to me. The list was HUGE and I was never even given a breakdown of who gave what. And honestly I dont really want one,or at least one made public. I just think as if everyone gave more than they could. Like I say I have tried, and will try, to give back in every way I can, but I am sure there are people that gave me a whole slew of money that I will never get a chance to repay.

I dont know if this thread is about me or not, but this is just my .02 from someone who was given a TON of money by this forum. And for that I honestly thank you all from the bottom of my heart, as I have said 20kabilion times. :) Its hard to know who is at the other end of the interwebs, but I have always tried to be positive and never call anyone names or belittle anyone for any reason. Karma is a big thing with me and my family, the whole golden rule thing and all. I often make disparaging remarks but its ALWAYS about myself,or my poor wife (love ya babe).

·
Guilty by Association
19,345 Posts
Jeez I hope that I am not this scumm bag? :( If not for this forum I would literally probably be homeless or living at mommies house. I have always lived beneath my means, but one time in my life circumstance arose that it didnt matter what I did. I will say that I used NONE of the money I was given on material possessions and I have actually tried my damnedest to payback some of the people most directly involved as best I could, and I fully intend to keep trying. I am still poorer than poor and working 28 days a month sun up to sundown just to get my head above water. I have not purchased 1 thing for my truck minus a back window that got smashed,from a member here mind you, and an intake (from clint that was a big part in helping me) and I thought since Clint did allot to help me I could help him? I have also sent others other things, but thats between me and them, they dont need to tell anyone anything they dont want to. I have always been of the mindset that I will do anything I can to help someone out,especially here. Even before I was gifted, I often gave away parts for the price of shipping, or more often than not covered the shipping myself.

I know of the truck that was purchased on the other forum and that made me sick. It also made me SUPER leery when I recieved the money from you guys. I would have NEVER asked for help like that, and quiet honestly I was completely taken aback when Tony called me, to the point that my long winded ass was speechless and next to tears.

I have always given all I could to charity situations that arise here, and I try to give all I can to the site itself because of how much I enjoy it. The charitable spirit that exists in this community is like none I have ever experience, and I have long been a big supporter of local charities. But honestly I wouldn't even know where to begin to pay back the people that gave to me. The list was HUGE and I was never even given a breakdown of who gave what. And honestly I dont really want one,or at least one made public. I just think as if everyone gave more than they could. Like I say I have tried, and will try, to give back in every way I can, but I am sure there are people that gave me a whole slew of money that I will never get a chance to repay.

I dont know if this thread is about me or not, but this is just my .02 from someone who was given a TON of money by this forum. And for that I honestly thank you all from the bottom of my heart, as I have said 20kabilion times. :) Its hard to know who is at the other end of the interwebs, but I have always tried to be positive and never call anyone names or belittle anyone for any reason. Karma is a big thing with me and my family, the whole golden rule thing and all. I often make disparaging remarks but its ALWAYS about myself,or my poor wife (love ya babe).
This is why I thought this thread would be taken to heart so much. Sticky is one of the greatest members we have in the lightning community and given the opportunity to do it all over again, I still wouldn't think twice.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i love helping other people out when theyre in need. it makes me feel good and helps someone out. i believe you get out what you put out. not necessarily from that person but it will come around in time, possibly when you are in need. i suppose some would call that karma, i dunno. wife thinks you should be paid for everything you do, i disagree. i have a lot of friends that wheel and deal, cut a friend or young guy a super special deal, just to help but, it always comes around in time. but i do agree with 1lethalsvt, a loan is a different deal. if you are concerned about the return payment, maybe you should go with a loan, maybe even secured with something the person wants back.

·
TURBO!
4,041 Posts
This is why I thought this thread would be taken to heart so much. Sticky is one of the greatest members we have in the lightning community and given the opportunity to do it all over again, I still wouldn't think twice.
+1
*And I add*
After giving money to a mod on SVTP for an illness, I was on the fence about giving money to stickbo but after doing so, I know I made the right choice! I would do it again in a heartbeat.:cheers

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I guess I see confusion on the wording, a Donation is simply that, a Donation you give with NO thought of anything in return, now Loaning someone Money, then it is expected to be repayed either at a set amount, or when they are able. now that lader part I've gotten pissed about, when I see them doing Stupid stuff with their money later & giving Me all lame excuses on why they can't repay what was Loaned them in good faith

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
About this Discussion
78 Replies
36 Participants
stickbo
Lightning Rodder
Join our Lightning Rodder community to discuss the supercharged Ford F150 SVT and Harley Davidson edition pickup.
Full Forum Listing