Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well its turning into a little more than planned, but thats OK. i would of though with an oil pump failure the rod bearing would of taken more abuse, they looked great. Mains 4 and 5 looked good. However, Mains 1,2 and 3 were toast. Bad enough to merit a new crank. And in retrospect, probably why the thrust washer looked the way it did. Transmission is coming out in a few days and then the crank. Still doing it with it sitting in the craddle (in the truck). had all the bearing done on my XLT 4x4 in truck 5 years and 80K ago with no issues to date. luckily, I have the balance sheets from Shocks original build with bob weight and piston/pin/rod/ring weights too, so doing just the crank wont be an issue

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
Damn that took a beating!!

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Regular 4.6 cobra oil pump and cheap Romac balancer, higher rps+ dead oil pump. Shut down within 5 minutes, but damage done

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read the irogonal build sheet on the turbo forums and I thought it said they used the ford racing cobra hv pump. That's what's in there. I have a new 5.4 meelings billet hv pump and that's definately not what's in there. Still im guessing around 1500 in parts plus my labor and it will be back on the road. Not too bad considering the price.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow... if the bearings in the bottom end look that bad, you should probably check the cam stands also.
the first two mains look like that, third, not so bad, 4th good and 5th looks new. All the rods look new also. Pulling the valve covers to remove the timing cover, so ill probably pull the cams and look while im there.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tearing into it next week. Having a tranny cradle built for the 4r100 and our tranny jack. Also got an engine hanger. Cranks on its way and machine shop is waiting. Going to measure the first three mains in the block to make sure nothing happened to them.

·
Stroked & Blown!
2,392 Posts
I read the irogonal build sheet on the turbo forums and I thought it said they used the ford racing cobra hv pump. That's what's in there. I have a new 5.4 meelings billet hv pump and that's definately not what's in there. Still im guessing around 1500 in parts plus my labor and it will be back on the road. Not too bad considering the price.

well idk here his link

http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/859695-post244.html

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep, mmr preped oil pump. Simply put a 4v high volume ford racing pump. You have to remeber, it was 2005. Really wasn't a whole lot out there for built trucks. Its just a regular old ford oil pump with 15/16 pickup. Add a small diameter. Lightning balancer and that's disaster for a 4 v. Google dohc under drive dampner and you'll see a thread with about 6 or 7 nationally know bulders claiming under drive dampners kill dohc ford oil pumps.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hope for the best, plan for the worst. [smilie=dr. I want to do this bottom end right. Going to measure the rod bores with bearings, crank journals and record it all. Plus this new crank can go to my next build whenever that happens if nothing happens to it. You can get over size bearings that allow for a polish keeping it super close to std.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Picture time. Here are some shot from the last 2 days. Youll notice n the 2nd pic, the 90 deg metal piece, its original home was located

Attachments

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
More random pics. A bit blurry, theyre from my Droid3, but the lens was dirty from my hands LOL

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.