Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Put the wet stuff on the red stuff
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i tried finding if there is a thread on this,..im sure there is. I have always drove a standard this is my first lightning. Do you run it with OD on or off? I thought I read people ran with it off but i just read were your suppose to run with it on? Im super confused here.

·
11 Second Club
15,062 Posts
Mine is Always Off... For the Fact that I love the Sound

·
Registered
550 Posts
I just asked about this because I've always left it on and the time I turned it off she redlined and bogged down (back in 2002). If it is suppose to be off then I've been lucky for the past 8 years.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Mine is Always Off... For the Fact that I love the Sound
+1, I drive mine with the overdrive and radio off. Nothing better sounding than my 2.3 Kenne Bell and JLP Sheetmetal Plenum.

:laughing25-Bob

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
staying in it while the converter tries to lock is Hard on the converterclutches, having it kick down from OD to 1st or 2nd while cruising "can cause failure" all of this takes time to destroy itself, so depends on many things. but better for everything's longevity if it's off

·
11 Second Club
15,062 Posts

·
My Dixie Wrecked
360 Posts
Off until 45mph or so. It takes the "mechanical diode" or coast clutch out of the picture which is the weakest link in a 4R100.

·
Paul's ClutchBoxes
1,388 Posts
Off until 45mph or so. It takes the "mechanical diode" or coast clutch out of the picture which is the weakest link in a 4R100.
i agree with this but it is not entirely accurate. there is no mechanical diode here. it is the o/d one way clutch. .....its not taken out of the picture but some stress is taken off it when the o/d off button is pressed...because now the coast clutch applies.......ive posted on this subject in very great detail in other threads many times....

·
Sport90's #1
3,690 Posts
Driving around town, normal cruising, and distance driving on the why = OD ON

Getting ready to go WOT, some duesch in a ricer next to you reving, track, playing around town, any amount of gear kickdowns for a boost of speed = OD OFF

·
My Dixie Wrecked
360 Posts
i agree with this but it is not entirely accurate. there is no mechanical diode here. it is the o/d one way clutch. .....its not taken out of the picture but some stress is taken off it when the o/d off button is pressed...because now the coast clutch applies.......ive posted on this subject in very great detail in other threads many times....

So you would say leave it off? :smt102

My Bro in-law was an allison tech for years and he passed that info on to me.

Maybe you can answer this then. How come in a Super Duty they say the 01' trannys are weaker because of the "mechanical diode"? Is there really a difference in year models? I've always heard the 01's are subject to failure more because of the POS "mechanical diode".

1 - 20 of 31 Posts