Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Never Satisfied!!
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 HD with 2 pc. ds. Is it worth it to go carbon fiber one piece? My build is going to be 650-700 rwhp. I have gotten mixed answers from different people. Might as well throw it out on here and mix it up some more. Truck will be a dd with weekend trips to the strip occasionally.Thanks for the input. I know this is the lightning section, but I think it will get more responses than the hd section. Apologies if out of place here.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Subscribed. Been wondering the same thing with my 4x4 conversion, it's not a DD though. Mine is a 1 piece right now, not 2 piece like yours. shaft Masters near my shop said to use steel due to the weight of the truck and power level....

·
Registered
283 Posts
buddy of mine snapped his cf drive shaft on his 67 camaro one night at the strip...he was putting down about 600 to the wheels at the time
(didn't really snap just splintered into a million pieces)
I wouldn't recommend one at your power level especially given the weight of our trucks

·
Registered
395 Posts
A carbon fiber drive shaft is stronger than a steel or aluminum one the draw back is if it is your daily driver rocks and other things can put nicks in carbon fiber and cause a week spot I have ran one in my lightning for years also my 3000+ hp outlaw car never a problem

·
Divergent
13,541 Posts
There are plenty on here running cf drive shafts well past 600, as stated its stronger.

Stronger is one thing, I dont believe it to be more all around durable for a daily driven application.

·
Dude
2,363 Posts
If you read it, it wasnt his Driveshaft that failed first it was his bad pinion angle and u-joint first then the shaft :ahhhh

·
Never Satisfied!!
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the feedback!! Thanks for the link as well Thegoon. Very informative. I think I will go for it. Just need to get my tape measure out. I assume the length on a 03 will be longer than an extended cab.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I guess that link was to Josh's Harley truck. If you can swing the $$, carbon fiber is the way to go. Hell, Ford puts a cf driveshaft in the last year of the GT500.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The truck I inherited from my brother, Mike Dunn, pulls 640 hp to the rear wheels. It has been driven hard for almost 50,000 miles with no issues with the CF driveshaft.

·
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
14,677 Posts
Keep in mind, for every one snapped CF DS story you'll hear, there's probably 100 snapped aluminum or steel DS stories lol. And pretty much every snapped CF one is not due to the power going through it, since pro mods and monster trucks even run CF DS's and make way more power and can weigh way more than we do.

buddy of mine snapped his cf drive shaft on his 67 camaro one night at the strip...he was putting down about 600 to the wheels at the time
(didn't really snap just splintered into a million pieces)
I wouldn't recommend one at your power level especially given the weight of our trucks
Guarantee you his snapped for some reason other than power level. A CF DS has 3 times the torsional strength than a steel DS! 600 hp in a light azz Camaro is not going to snap a short azz CF DS by itself!

A carbon fiber drive shaft is stronger than a steel or aluminum one the draw back is if it is your daily driver rocks and other things can put nicks in carbon fiber and cause a week spot I have ran one in my lightning for years also my 3000+ hp outlaw car never a problem
I put over 10k miles on my first CF DS, and I know other HD truck guys who have put 5x's as many miles on theirs, that for a rock to be big enough to cause damage to your CF DS, it would have dented an aluminum DS just the same! lol Take a look at the pics of my snapped CF one, it's at least 3/8" thick of solid carbon tube, I bet I could hammer a 3" deck nail into a 4x4 post before it would do any structural damage to the CF DS lol. Even OEMs are putting CF DSs in vehicles now days (13-14 GT500 to name one), they're a lot more durable than many think. WHile I wouldn't use it in an offroading or mud truck like a Raptor or bog machine, for a street truck I wouldn't hesitate.

http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258577&highlight=carbon+fiber+driveshaft

he might be making more then 700hp, with N20 of course lol, but he replaced with another CF driveshaft in his limo!
825 rwhp 875 rwtq with no nitrous, but I had that CF DS for 8+ years, umpteen passes even hanging the tire, around 10k miles flogging 5,000+ lbs around on the street, only reason it broke was the rear u-joint failed from me never setting the pinion angle 8 years prior, and the u-joint finally let go which once the DS was free from the pinion, it spun against the muffler and shattered in 2. Same exact issue would have happened whether it was aluminum or steel, that rear u-joint was worn out and would have dropped any material DS.....the CF just did the least amount of damage to the undercarriage!

Thanks for all the feedback!! Thanks for the link as well Thegoon. Very informative. I think I will go for it. Just need to get my tape measure out. I assume the length on a 03 will be longer than an extended cab.
It'll be the exact same, the trucks are on the exact same frame, exact same wheelbase. a 03 has a foot shorter bed to offset that foot longer cab.

BTW JLP is a vendor now for PST driveshafts

1 - 13 of 13 Posts