Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully you guys aren't tired of me asking all these questions, but what can I say i'm just a guy trying to get his truck back running and learn from you guys :smt102 So i'm buying a rear end off a member that came off his 01 L , it's for my 03 L...would there be any differences in those years that'll cause it to not work? I looked up the tag on both of them and they were the same except for one letter (forgot the tag # atm) . I just want to make sure I don't waste either of our time trying to get a part that might end up not working.
And the other question is, apparently one of the techs who looked at my truck said my frame is bent because the cab and bed are off by a bit, could it just be that my bed is misaligned? I don't want them to try and total out my truck because of an issue like that, obviously we won't be sure until we get it on the machine to check it out. Well that's all thanks for the help [smilie=bo

Attachments

·
Aka 2003_lightning
12,215 Posts
Forget what year they maid the switch but early models had 3.55 gear instead of our 3.73

·
Panty Dropper
5,911 Posts
Misalignment is pretty common. You can shim your cab mounts, but I'd recommend replacing them (you may still need to shim) as they're probably worn out.

·
Slowest Silver Lightning
2,547 Posts
99 & 2000 had a 3.55 rear with a steel driveshaft and 2001+ were aluminum driveshafts with 3.73 gears. Probably the studs for the wheels were also different.

They only thing I could see being different is for 04...and maybe 03 (not sure) had an extra leaf in the rear.

I think it was for a larger payload and it ended up making the rear gap look crazy.

Misalignment is pretty common. You can shim your cab mounts, but I'd recommend replacing them (you may still need to shim) as they're probably worn out.
You are correct. However he got into an accident with his truck so the frame is probably be tweaked- slightly bent not anything major.

·
10 second street truck
11,823 Posts
as far as the axle itself, 01+ are all the same. Use it without worry.

That alingment issue is common as stated earlier

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys , all we really need is the housing since that's what got a bit damaged on mine , everything else is fine. So would the misalignment issue be able to be fixed ? And the slight bending of the frame ? I'm hoping it's nothing too major that'll make the truck not drive able or anything like that.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thanks for the info guys , all we really need is the housing since that's what got a bit damaged on mine , everything else is fine. So would the misalignment issue be able to be fixed ? And the slight bending of the frame ? I'm hoping it's nothing too major that'll make the truck not drive able or anything like that.
You know what, pull the bed and have a reputable shop put it on a rack. They'll be able to take measurements and maybe make a few "pulls" to get your frame back in order. Best not to leave it tweaked, as it can stress parts connected to the frame which can lead to further problems down the road.

·
Slowest Silver Lightning
2,547 Posts
You know what, pull the bed and have a reputable shop put it on a rack. They'll be able to take measurements and maybe make a few "pulls" to get your frame back in order. Best not to leave it tweaked, as it can stress parts connected to the frame which can lead to further problems down the road.
Yup, exactly. Since the rear cant be aligned- not getting the frame straightened out can cause weird tire wear.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah that's what I was told that I would get some weird tire wear, hopefully everything works out well and can be fixed. Once again thanks everyone for the knowledge I really appreciate it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts