Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been doing my research for where I want to put the electrical senders for water temperature and the transmission temperature but I have not been able to find much information for a good location for the oil temperature sender.

I did find one post after searching F150online and it mentioned installing the sender in the “inlet” hose to the oil cooler that the oil filter is mounted to. I haven’t been able to crawl under my truck to look at this location.

Is this a feasible location? Does anybody have other recommendations for the best placement of the electrical sender for oil temperature?

Thank you for your time…  :smt023

As a side note, when I do finally get all the pieces, Autometer gauges, senders, triple pod etc I plan on doing a complete write-up with pictures, part numbers descriptions for a nice “How-To”.

I most likely won’t get the parts and start until spring and that is why I am trying to gather all the information for additional parts (i.e. T’s ect) together now…

·
Registered
270 Posts
i would help you but im not sure i can ask my friend he owns a shop that does work on cobras and lightnings and stuff. ill ask him tomorrow

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hey Sonic,
What are your other guages you are gonna install.
I can't help ya with the oil temp (i did look for ya though) but I'm in the middle of
installing vac/boost, fuel pressure and oil pressure. the boost is the only on that is complete.
as far as the oil and fuel pressure I to have to get adapters and fittings.
Alot of people are recommending using teflon liquid, not tape so that is what I'm going with.
If you have any of these three guages let me know i'll help ya with the parts.
Bryan

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am still debating on installing the gauges. If I do I am going to do the modified Autometer A/F gauge by Gadgetseller.com. It is modified to read the A/F at WOT to give you a more accurate indication.

The other ones I am thinking of doing is oil pressure and then water temperature gauge itself and transmission and oil temperature electrical senders and using a single pole triple throw switch to switch between water/trans/oil.

I was planning on installing the water temperature sender into the side of the block, the transmission sender in the side of the transmission and still trying to determine where to install the oil temperature sender.

Someone mentioned purchasing an after market oil pan and then having that tapped to put a sender into it except I figure you would have to lift the motor to get the stock pan off and install the new pan. So as far as that goes, if it were to be true, is no way…

They would all be Autometer Phantoms still debating on what I want to do…  :D

·
Registered
541 Posts
sounds like a cool setup your planning.
as for the oil temp sender....could you just tap out of an oil line and 'T' splice it?
if that would work you could avoid the pan idea. I don't really know much about these trucks yet
I'm just shooting ideas. So if anything sounds crazy I apologize. :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, after taking a look at the location (the oil filter mounted on the oil cooler) there is no “oil” lines but rather the coolant lines running to the oil cooler. So I see there are lines up front, between the motor and radiator. I know two of them are transmission line, I think the others ones may be power steering?

Anyone know if there are “oil” lines running to the radiator, I know probably a stupid question but since I don’t know maybe someone can shine some light on this subject…

Thanks…

1 - 8 of 8 Posts