Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont want to drag this threw the dirt again but I am trying to get some oil pumping before my start up. Im not sure if I should have done something to the pump before I installed it but I have a mechanical guage hooked up and the oil filter is full and im still not getting any pressure. I dont want to crank it to long because of obvious reasons. I have been reading some of the other threads and I havent seen anything on what I should have done before I installed the pump. :smt102

·
Retired Odderator
3,305 Posts
Check your pressure sender wiring, also make sure the pump and all freeze plugs were installed correctly, if you floor the gas while cranking the motor should NOT start, but I would pull the fuel pump relay and turn over while watching the gauge after you check your sender, fuses, etc.

Edit: did not realize you said mechanical guage, how long did you try turning the motor over for?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The motor isnt all the way together yet so I dont have to worry about it starting. There is no plugs, injectors or fuel rail on it yet. I just want to get oil pumping threw before I do the start up. Im just not sure if I had to do something to the pump before i installed it.

·
dont be scared
346 Posts
The motor isnt all the way together yet so I dont have to worry about it starting. There is no plugs, injectors or fuel rail on it yet. I just want to get oil pumping threw before I do the start up. Im just not sure if I had to do something to the pump before i installed it.
every builder has there own way of doing it im sure.

i take the pump turn it over and fill it with oil before i install the pan(same with filter), then before i start the truck i pull all the injector harness and spin it over till it builds about 10- 15psi, then i hook up the injectors and start her up.
i have seen guys use air pressure in the sending unit hole to force oil to the motor as well,

I use assembly lube most of the time so a dry start isnt a large concern.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK i got an electric oil pump to prime the motor pumped like 4 quarts threw it enough to where it was coming out on top of the motor. Pulled the electric pump off put the mechanical oil guage on cranked it over and still no pressure. Should I pull it bacl out and put a new pump on or should I just take the chance to see if it will build up at the start up? Will the starter turn it fast enough to get a reading? I have all the plugs still out and the valve covers still off also. I would like to get this thing running this weekend. :smt102

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
I pulled the fuse for the fuel pumps and before I installed the plugs, so the motor would turn over easily, I just kept cranking in 15 second bursts until there was oil in the heads...I also left the fuse out before first start up and let the truck crank over some before I installed the fuse...He fired right up and oil pressure was maxed out immediately.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.