Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Bracket maker
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the forums but haven't found the answer I need yet.

I am getting ready to start up my new motor and I filled it with oil and pulled the fuel pump fuse. I turned the truck over for several seconds. I don't see anything on the guages but I don't have an oil pressure gauge, unless there is one in the stock cluster. I pulled the oil filter and it was full and oil was dripping from the cooler.

Should I see something on the cluster?
Or do the guages only work if the engine is running?

Any help on this would be great, thanks.

·
Fat Bastad
2,756 Posts
I'd say if you have oil in your oil filter then you have oil pressure. How much? You're going to need a guage for that. Oil pressure at idle should be around 60#.

I don't have the answer to your cluster guage question..sorry.

I take it you installed this motor?

Roach

·
Bracket maker
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes,
I installed the motor. Everything is ready to go, I just need to install the new tune tomorrow and fire it up. I have good fuel pressure and the electric water pump and electric fan all work. I just want to make sure I have good oil pressure before starting it up.

·
Fat Bastad
2,756 Posts
I tell every body I know to run their hand down the back side of the drivers side valve cover to make sure it didn't get punctured by the small post that is on the fire wall. It happens more than people realize. My motor has been pulled out and replaced 4 times now. Once by myself and 3 times by a Ford tech that I had doing some work for me and 2 out of the 4 times the driver's valve cover got punctured on the surface that faces the firewall.

Roach

·
Eaton Ricers
1,001 Posts
While the key is on the guages work, but if the engine isn't running, u wont see pressure. While u are cranking the motor, the guages aren't working, so they won't show pressure then either. Unless you filled the filter before you put it on, the oil pump is the only way it would be full and dripping out.

·
Bracket maker
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So when everyone says they are cranking the motor over with the crank sensor out or fuel pump fuse pulled and they see oil pressure, are they looking at aftermarket gauges?

·
Bracket maker
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fuel tank gauge comes on in the accessory position and then stays there while cranking. I have a separate fuel regulator so I see pressure on that with the key in the acc position.

·
Premium Member
8,947 Posts
the cluster gauge is basically on or off anyways, i wouldnt trust it for a real reading

·
Flyin HI
31,040 Posts
It shouldn't take long to build oil pressure. I held the gas pedal to the floor, cranked it over for 5-10 sec, then stopped. Next time normal start and it fired right up and oil pressure was reading normal on the factory cluster.

First let the fuel pumps run till they get the air out of the lines obviously... Takes about a minute.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
I just did this a couple weeks ago.
I suggest grabbing an oil pressure gauge.
I was not able to build any pressure while turning the key over once I pulld my crank sensor.
The starter did not have enough juice to prime the pump no matter how much we tried. The starter eventually died.
I had to get a new starter and pull all the spark plugs and do it again to get pressure.
Luckily enough my builder soaked the motor in Klotz lubricant as well.

My oil pressure cold is at about 75# and hot at idle 30#.

·
Premium Member
5,754 Posts
Was plenty of assembly lube used? If so then let it do its job & just start the engine. The oil gauge will come up a few seconds after it's been running.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Definately get a mechanical gauge to take a look at the pressure. The stock guage is not nearly accurate enough. I would think on intial startup you should be in the 100psi range and then warmed up you should still be 40ish at idle. The stock gauge you can't tell the difference between 100 and 25... It all shows the same.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts