Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999 lightning oil getting in coolant tank. No signs of coolant in oil of engine or transmission. Anyone see the oil cooler at the oil filter fail?

·
worlds fastest MP lightning
1,578 Posts

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,561 Posts
oil cooler cracked possibly?

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,561 Posts
very good advice?I’ll go one step further, I won’t even drive it, unless it’s to your Mechanic Good luck my friend.

this right here

driving it will create more issues

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
10,786 Posts
Exactly, who wants to drive it when there is oil in the coolant? Not good! :ahhhh

Reactions: stoffer

·
Registered
274 Posts
I ended up with oil in my coolant after my cooler broke. That’s the first thing I would check

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
511 Posts
Had it happened to me a couple of months ago ..Changed my oil Cooler gasket and bam ...problem solved (thank god) but good luck changing that gasket it was a P.I.T.A!!!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Same thing here, changed gasket that goes from cooler to block and went ahead and changed the oil cooler assembly. Problem fixed

·
Registered
11 Posts
Reviving an old thread, hope someone can chime in. Had all the symptoms of oil cooler gasket failure. Ordered all the parts including a new oil filter-cooler and went to start taking things apart. I have the oil filter-cooler off, disconnected the two smaller hoses and the main radiator hose. Got the rear nut off the oil cooler and also the top bolt against the block for the motor mount.

Now I'm stuck, I propped up the engine as stated in other posts. Do I have to totally remove the motor mount from both the block and the frame or just from the block? Does the motor mount come off while the oil cooler is still bolted to the block or do they come off as one piece once unbolted?
With the frame, steering rack anti-lock brake stuff and other parts in the way how the heck do you remove anything else? I think I can reach the front bolts for the cooler, gonna take some serious extensions but then what?
Part of me wants to take off the whole drive train on the drivers side but hoping I don't have to.

Thanks,

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
11,678 Posts
You don't take it that far apart..., You just need to remove the cooler.
Stick a 14mm hex up inside where the oil filter screws on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You don't take it that far apart..., You just need to remove the cooler.
Stick a 14mm hex up inside where the oil filter screws on.
Thanks for the reply. It isn't the actual cooler itself, I removed it already and tested it for leaks and it isn't leaking, but i'm still changing this one too just in case. So now I'm looking at the gasket between the actual oil cooler adapter and the block. This is where i'm stuck on removing it and then reinstalling it, lol.

·
Converted
116 Posts
Thanks for the reply. It isn't the actual cooler itself, I removed it already and tested it for leaks and it isn't leaking, but i'm still changing this one too just in case. So now I'm looking at the gasket between the actual oil cooler adapter and the block. This is where i'm stuck on removing it and then reinstalling it, lol.
my issue ended up being a head gasket. Which reminds me, I need to get out there & pull it to fix the coolant in the oil issue this time around.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good luck, I haven't had a chance to tackle it again, but gonna try this weekend or next if it clears up for me. I hope I don't have to remove the PS stuff to get to it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts