Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
GoD GiVeN
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am about to replace the oil cooler on my truck, haven't pulled the filter off yet, but I assume that after I remove the oil filter, the shaft the filter screws onto is keyed, and I will need a 14mm allen key socket to remove the shaft that holds the cooler to the housing, is this correct?

And the second part of my question, what is the torque spec for tightening the shaft back on to the housing? I read somewhere 41-44ft/lbs??? I am not sure that is correct so if somebody with more knowledge could help me out, thanks.

-Adam

·
Bet you were born naked, you SLUT!
909 Posts
I just made sure it was tight.

The housing can crack pretty easy lol I was pissing oil once.

·
"01 Fastblack"
320 Posts
Hey guys,

I am about to replace the oil cooler on my truck, haven't pulled the filter off yet, but I assume that after I remove the oil filter, the shaft the filter screws onto is keyed, and I will need a 14mm allen key socket to remove the shaft that holds the cooler to the housing, is this correct?

And the second part of my question, what is the torque spec for tightening the shaft back on to the housing? I read somewhere 41-44ft/lbs??? I am not sure that is correct so if somebody with more knowledge could help me out, thanks.

-Adam
I'm not a mechanic but that sounds like too much :smt102

·
GoD GiVeN
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just made sure it was tight.

The housing can crack pretty easy lol I was pissing oil once.
I'm not a mechanic but that sounds like too much
Well I thought 41ft/lbs was ridiculous sounding also, so i just called a shop and asked, they said as long as the o-ring is on, just snug the cooler to the housing, no torque setting, just snug it nice and tight...

·
Divergent
13,541 Posts
shop manual I have says 18 ft lbs on the oil filter adapter bolts

Just an FYI for later

So id say snug enough is good enough

·
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
14,675 Posts
I'd make it a little more snug than you make an oil filter, so when you're replacing the oil filter next you're not loosening or tightening that through bolt since that's what the filter threads onto.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts