Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you install a oil breather cap without having to change your tune. What are the benifets over the stock sealed oil cap.

·
Innovator of the Bombassani exhaust
2,428 Posts
Can you install a oil breather cap without having to change your tune. What are the benifets over the stock sealed oil cap.
Yes but be prepared to wipe your motor after every WOT run you do...... The only benefit is if you bypassed your pcv system. Do a search on it.

·
Innovator of the Bombassani exhaust
2,428 Posts
If you have a fully functioning PCV system and add a breather on the filler cap you could be drawing unmetered air.
+1

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I just replaced my breather that came on the truck when I bought it with a proper oil cap. I have an aftermarket oil cap on my SVT Contour so now my truck has a Contour oil cap. :) They're exactly the same though.

Mine didn't make a mess, it didn't smell. I just didn't want the motor to be pulling in unmetered air.

·
Johnny Law
17,766 Posts
If you have a fully functioning PCV system and add a breather on the filler cap you could be drawing unmetered air.
^^^
This, you will continue to get a code (p0171, I think) I had this code come up as soon as I installed a breather, I would clear it and it came back a few days later, I removed the breather and the code never came back.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I have a CFM k&n style oil cap breather for sale. I bought 2 only used one. It's very nice, and has a baffle to prevent spillage. I've put about 150-200 miles on it so far and no sign of oil. PM me if your interested and I can give pics.

·
JDM Built/KB 3.2
2,169 Posts
I used to use one on my Mustang but not with the Lightning. I have heard it can affect the tune.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Would a breather on the passenger side be responsible for unmetered air since it is on the windage side of the motor?

·
Retired Odderator
3,305 Posts
L&S style oil seperator is the best solution, it filters the oil from the PCV system, keeps the system closed like it should be, and causes no mess or smells.

You get what you pay for.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts