Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on picking up a punisher valve body soon with moroso pan and adding a bigger cooler,i have read people say with the line pressure turned up in the tune on top of a valve body it makes the truck shift really hard. I'm not concerened with it shifting too hard but want to know if it will hurt the trans? I'll get the pressure turned down when i get it retuned but maybe a bit,just dont wanna hurt the trans from the upped pressure and a valve body. The pressure is turned up on my sct x4 tune i think since it shifts harder since install.

· Dude
2,374 Posts
If you get a Punisher valvebody do your self a favor and turn off any adjustments to shifting from your programmer and just let the valvebody do it. Hard shifts are actually better for the Trans as the time between shifts is what causes the most wear. The process of creating a smoother shift means more heat and slippage, not good. A mechanical adustment(valvebody) to line pressure is better than a computer driven adjustment.
Have fun with your new found performance:smt023

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cant adjust it anymore,it's just the base tune that came on the handheld but the truck runs alot better with the tune.

· Dude
2,374 Posts
That maybe so,.. hence the reason you wouldn't want to do both.

· Registered
56 Posts
i will add that one of my trucks has a valve body and line pressure turned up in the tune from the previous owner and no matter what speed your going as in 5mph to 30mph, that 1st to 2nd gear shift is nasty. it is a really violent shift no matter what you do. i would highly recommend to not install it unless you change that tune.

· Professional Lackey
454 Posts
Back from 05-07 I ran my lightning like that. I had a VB from LFP installed and I sent the chip I had at the time back to be retuned for the VB. The tuner fudged up the tune without telling me(not tuned by LFP). I didn't know for sure but I had a feeling the line pressure was bumped up by the chip. With the VB and line pressure through the chip, my truck would chirp the rear tires on the 1-2 shift with as little as 2/3 throttle and it could chirp the tires on the 2-3 shift under heavy throttle. I finally realized why my shifts were so violent when I tossed the chip for an Xcal2 and the shifts became much more tame.

Honestly I liked how hard it shifted with both but I wouldn't use both simply because of the risk of damaging the transmission.

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like i'll wait to do the valvebody til i get closer to doing the tune. Gonna stack some parts and get it all togather right before the tune

· Registered
53 Posts
The previous owner of my L had line pressure bumped with a tune. I installed a Punisher street VB and the combination of the two was very similar to what Plague mentioned above. I liked it.

I then had the truck retuned. The tuner put the pressure back to where it should be, but the SCT X4 allows me to adjust line pressure +/- 25% or so I believe.

The only downfall to doing it before you have it retuned is that you're going to get use to it and like it alot, and as soon as you have it retuned you are going to have that "aww shucks, it doesn't hit as hard anymore" moment. lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.