Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to know everyones opinion on the break-in procedures for a new engine before you can go out and start running it? I have heard multiple things and would like to hear others, thank you,

Rich

·
Registered
426 Posts
You goal is to allow everything to seat.  This is accomplished by the parts moving **AND** going through thermocycles.

Assuming this is a hand rebuilt engine... I'd run 5w-30 valvoline. Let it idle for 10 minutes, shut off and let fully cool. Then run it at varying rpms for about 1/2 hour with light speedups and slowdowns. Park and let it fully cool.  Then drive it like a grandpa for the next 300ish miles.  Change the oil & filter to the exact same oil and hit the track. Up around 2500 miles switch to fully synthetic.

Rich

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that seems to be about the same info I have been getting. Just dont want to screw things up with this being my first built engine.

Rich

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Sounds like I'm only a hundred miles FROM THE FUN STUFF  :D

You hear how I'm baby-ing mine :LOL

·
Registered
426 Posts
Heaven forbid anyone listen to a OEM cooling engineer. [smilie=laugh.gif]

Rich

·
Registered
261 Posts
Our WON nitrous forum had the same question recently and multiple posts by very experienced people backs up Rich's comments.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Here is what I have always done with normal engines and race engines.

Run it for 500 miles on regular 5w-30 motor oil and avoid extended periods of high boost, but dont baby it all the time, drive it aggressive without being too aggressive.

Then change the oil and filter. and drive it the same way for 1000 miles, then change out to synthetic oil of your choice. I have always used Mobil One with fantastic results.

Also, use a quality oil filter such as K&N, it has alot more filter media in it than Ford's filter and will trap more particles.

I put 2400 miles on my built motor before it ever hit the dyno or track and I have over 200 passes on that motor with the majority of them being in the low 11's or 10's without ever having one single problem, no oil consumption or anything.

Getting everything to "seat" as previously mentioned is the most important part.

Good luck with your new engine and enjoy the newfound power once its broke in... :D

[email protected]

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
this is great information, thank you

·
Registered
393 Posts
I gotta go with Ryan on this one!

My personal break-in....First pass at 11.60...then go to the race program...lol

My motor has no break-in miles only track time!

·
Registered
270 Posts
listen to rich hes an intelligent guy

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pitch

Like I said on the other boards, I had told you I WAS SORRY I was not able to get your engine at that time like I wanted to, I needed that money for our NEW house. I was able to get a loan and my wife has helped me out with the new stuff.............................................

·
Registered
734 Posts
Ryan Allen said:
Don't listen to anyone but the engine buider. [smilie=popcorn.gif]
[/quote
Ryan, your old buddy Suavy here,

Hey normaly I would agree with your statement, however for the record Rich is our cooling engineer her at Ford.

I know allot of times some of us sound crazy or far fetched but some of us actualy build these things.

Just FYI no slam intended. :LOL

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
this is great info, thank all of your for your input.

Rich

·
Registered
427 Posts
I agree with JJ

I usually put about 400-500 miles on the motor while "being firm on the throttle" but not beating on it. Then I change the oil at 500 miles and get more agressive and usualy by 600 miles its on the dyno or went to the track by then :D

Then I change the oil again at 1500 miles and again at 3000 miles, then shes good to go. [smilie=fingersx.gif]

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thats the method im going to use, thanks for all the input

·
Frauderator
5,862 Posts
i have broken my engine in with the 500 miles nice and easy, change the oil and filter.

1000 miles nice and easy but alittle more aggressive, then change the filter.

then another 200 miles nice and easy, so to speak [smilie=laugh.gif]

and then i ran the ever living snot out of it, and i still do :D

like most pepole are saying you need to make the rings seat in the cylinders nicely

rick

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ryan,
The engine builder doesn't really have any special treatment per motor. An engine still breaks in the same whether stock or built. The only difference with built is you should be able to seat the parts much quicker as the parts are better. Instead of 500-1,000 miles on a stock motor you may get away with a 100-300 mile break in on a proper built motor.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Not true Race, It really depends on the tolerance in the engine and the type of rings used. Some engines need little or no break-in!

·
Registered
261 Posts
fomocfan,
I agree and summarized this up to generally but I am assuming we are talking street/strip and not just all out race motors.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts