Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Ford F150 SVT Lightning
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy all, I just purchased my first Lightning last Saturday. Its a 1999, with 111k on it. It sucks that my first post has to be about this, however when I got the truck it had a CE light for EVAP codes and O2 codes. My first check was for the fuse box, and lo and behold there wasn't a fuse in #23 under the hood which controls both of those things. That fixed that problem, (Although it worried me a bit as to why it wasn't there.) And now after putting that fuse back, about 10-15 seconds after start up, there's a weird sound coming from the passenger side area (At least that's what it sounds like.) It sounds like a struggling pump that's trying to suck in fluid or air but it can't. After 30 seconds or so it sounds like its struggling more so I shut the engine off. I am totally baffled. Any and all help would be appreciated. Since its been so cold here in Indiana I haven't spent a ton of consecutive time on trying to troubleshoot it.

EDIT The codes are no longer present after putting fuse #23 in.

·
local painter
3,152 Posts
Not sure if this could cause the noise but most likely all the rubber EVAP lines are dry rotted to dust.
As for the O2 code look for a VAC leak behind the lower intake PCV hose.

Reactions: 99BlackBolt

·
Registered
1999 Ford F150 SVT Lightning
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the comment Leeproctor83,
I made a change to the post, but the codes are no longer present after putting in fuse #23, Im mainly asking if anyone has any idea about why there's an odd 'struggling pump' sound coming from the passenger side area. Im gonna try and narrow it down later, I just couldn't figure out where it was coming from with the short time I had. Any ideas on what to check would be appreciated. My current list of things to check is
  1. IC Pump
  2. PS Pump (Unlikely because the sound is on the passenger side, but sound echoes.)
  3. Maybe something to do with the accessory drive system?​
After those three I'm unsure what else to narrow down.

·
Registered
2004 Sonic Blue Truck is # 3348 of 3781 built on 05/03/2004
2,989 Posts
What kind of headlights are on the truck? Just asking because the LED ballast can make sounds like you are describing. Can try and post up a video with the sound and see if someone can pin point it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
get a mechanic's stethoscope and start trying it on every part of the engine .. you should track down the source in a min or two

I use one to keep track of my sparkplugs potentially backing out ..all I have to do is touch it to the coil .. if I hear a simple clicking it's good if there's a huge racket .. it needs tightened .. right now

my truck make a running bearing sound when the weather is cold .. stethoscope says it's the front alternator bearing .. and it makes something of a werring sound .. kinda like a bad pump might seen to

it's one of the cheapest tools you can put in your toolbox .. also one of the most handy ..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts