Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Lightning Rodder!

I am new to the forum however been reading for about 4 weeks.

I think I have finally found the one but I want to make sure I am making an educated decision. The truck will be my daily driver.

Its an 04 with just over 104k miles. The only modifications done are a CAI and Magnaflow X-flow muffler.
It has also had speakers, headunit, and dynomat put in as well. I asked the dealer to throw in on a lift and I found no leaks or signs of major damage.

The dealer said they got the truck on trade and it needs a master cylinder, intake gaskets, and brakes. They are also throwing in plugs, new thermostat and a few other misc items while in there.

They are doing all the work prior to me picking it up and I negotiated in 4 new tires.

Anything I should make sure and check out before it leaves the dealer?

Thanks for the help.

-Sam

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
things to check

welcome to the community-I would make sure the intercooler pump is moving coolant.you can just remove the reservoir cap and look to see if the coolant is flowing at idle.taken one step further and make sure heat is actually being transferred to the heat exchanger,you might have to drive it for that.also see if they still have the stock air box as many cai's are anything but and the stock air boxes tend to build more all around torque.good luck

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
11,121 Posts
welcome to the community-I would make sure the intercooler pump is moving coolant.you can just remove the reservoir cap and look to see if the coolant is flowing at idle.taken one step further and make sure heat is actually being transferred to the heat exchanger,you might have to drive it for that.also see if they still have the stock air box as many cai's are anything but and the stock air boxes tend to build more all around torque.good luck
Even that's not a guarantee of anything. My 04 still has the stock ic pump. It starts on initial startup any day I drive it. It does not start up on any second or third start up though, if warm.

I wouldn't have a stock air box on my truck. Ugly things that have a small hole for air to enter. Only good thing on them is the sticker. ;)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
$15,500?!! That's way too much for the miles. I've seen trucks with 50-60,000 miles for $15,000. If u really want a decent truck, u gotta be willing to travel. I bought mine 13 hrs away in Georgia. Drove it back home to Texas.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Not that you asked, but I paid $7,500 for my 03 with 110k miles. Mine didn't come with a tonneau cover though.

·
"01 Fastblack"
320 Posts
They are asking $15,500.
Plus tax and license and all that shiz! around 12k is tops I would pay with those miles and mods, and that's only if everything else is perfect. Don't let them grease you up, your better off buying private party.

·
Whipple Powered
3,850 Posts
1. You are paying way too much.

2.If for some reason you still insist on buying the truck for that price, don't let them do any of the things you mentioned (except maybe the new tires). Read here first and then do it yourself the right way.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been looking for a month and evertime I find a lower mileage truck it isn't stock and is half way across the country for close to $20k. This one is only 50 miles away and a one owner. How bad am I overpaying?

How often do ones come up for sale on here?

·
Registered
317 Posts
On one hand it seems high, and on the other hand it's not too bad (I'd try for less). The prices are higher than they were a year and a half ago. I struggled to find one close to stock and with all the emissions equipment.

Any other pictures? How nice is the interior?

If you're not a DIYer, and they do all the stuff listed correctly and buy the correct tires that's a big burden off your back buying a used car. Can you get all the fluids changed too? I think if you pay their price, get as much work done as you can (hoping they're a legit dealership).

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They are a legit Ford dealer and are doing the maintenance regardless of me buying it. They said they would do $14,300 as is but I passed yesterday and they started the maintenance. It does come with all new fluids. While under it I found the trans output shaft seal didn't look the best but wasn't dripping. They said it would be changed as well. Comes with a 6 month 6k mile warranty.
I am a diyer but don't have the facilities anymore to pull am intake manifold and seems like the tires are worth about $1000 alone. It does have a linex spray in liner and painted fiberglass bed cover as well.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't have any additional pictures. That was the only one I took. The interior looked clean and seats were nice. Has the normal cup holder spring issue but that's an easy fix.

·
AKA DADDY SHAGGY
2,466 Posts
1) overpriced 2) I wouldn't daily these trucks anymore. Start looking up parts for these trucks. From body parts to regular maintenance. For 15k you can get a economy car with 10 yr warranty or 100k miles. I would only buy one now for a toy or weekend cruiser

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can appreciate what you are saying about it being a DD. However I only drive 3 miles to and from work and for long trips we have a 2012 Focus SE. I have always liked these and I am replacing my current truck (94 F150). When you say over priced, how much do you think it is over priced?

·
"01 Fastblack"
320 Posts
I can appreciate what you are saying about it being a DD. However I only drive 3 miles to and from work and for long trips we have a 2012 Focus SE. I have always liked these and I am replacing my current truck (94 F150). When you say over priced, how much do you think it is over priced?
Well sounds like you really want this truck and I if they do everything they said including four new tires it's about 2k worth of services so I guess that's not too bad for a dealer price.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
We all know how it goes when we really want something. It seems like there's nothing else out there especially when we've been looking for a bit. TRUST me there is always another truck and a better deal. Unless u really need a vehicle like right now, I would strongly urge u to keep looking and be patient. That is way too much miles for the price. What state do u live in? Unfortunately if u really want the right truck, u r going to have to expand ur search to outside ur area. Just how it is. Sure u can find a good deal in ur town if u wait long enough but I'm telling u, good deals r already out there.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Like everyone else said be more patient it will pay off in the long run when the time is right it will happen. Sometimes it pays to look out of state i went to VA to buy mine

1 - 20 of 29 Posts