Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so a buddy of mine and I r at odds. He thinks big ass wheels on a truck looks good. I think the opposite. Give me ur honest opinions on this gen 1 lightning with the wheel setup. I think the wheels r way too big. My buddy thinks it looks awesome.

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hehehee... For me, utility comes first. Sidewalls are necessary for proper handling and can also improve ride quality. I go as big as I can to accommodate massive brakes without having to choose a garbage tire that will give me bad handling, ride, or load capacity. There are PLENTY of good looking 18, 19, 20" wheels out there.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
no good, too big...

·
10 second street truck
11,823 Posts
I like "larger" wheels, but you need the ****ing brakes to fill them. ITs a proven fact wheels that large do nothing but hamper performance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wheels look good but they are way too big. No sidewall at all.

·
Clueless and gassy
286 Posts
Wheel is nice but way too big. Out of proportion and that's a shame because it is a beautiful truck that deserves the attention, not the wheels. I think a 20" wheel looks fine on a Gen 2 but no bigger.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
20 maybe 22 max as for as my taste goes

the truck is an eye catcher but then ya think a little too big

·
RWHP ADDICT
600 Posts
To each his own, what looks good to one man may or may not appeal to all , like the wheels, the tires not so much , i personally can't stand to see Lightnings slammed like skate boards with black wheels, but some seem to like that look.

·
Administrator
18,571 Posts
I think giant wheels with rubber band tires look silly on near anything(that Gen1 included). And lowering trucks more than what is useful on a road/autocross course is foolish looking as well in my eyes. But aesthetics are in the eyes of the beholder. We all have different tastes.

On our Gen2s I don't even like anything bigger than 20s. Maybe it is because I know how bad they are for performance. That is what these trucks are all about. Maybe it is because I am old school. 15" rims were "big" back in the day.I still like the big sidewall look for any street/performance vehicle unless it is set up to handle.

Jim

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I too will admit the wheels themselves r not bad but they r way too big. Looks cartoonish to me. Keep the comments coming!

·
RWHP ADDICT
600 Posts
I don't think the wheels are too big , i dont like rubber band tires anymore than the slammed look , neither look right on a truck.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts