Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i'm about to start putting my motor together, i've been searching forums for torque specs, i've found some links but they no longer work, several suggestions for chilton maual, but when i read the description for the books it states lightning model is excluded. Anyway i'm in need to specs for main and side bolt torque specs for an 02 lightning, as well as rod bolt torque, i am using 09 gt500 rods with a1 bolts, any help would be appreciated

·
Slowest Silver Lightning
2,547 Posts
Most guys get their engines or at least bottom ends built. If you go on ebay, they sell dvd copies of the manuals for like $10. I bought the Ford service manuals (3 books) hard copies on ebay just incase.

If you are building an engine, you shouldn't be relying on Chilton, Haynes, or other generic source for a specialty motor. As far as rod bolt specs, I have never been a fan of torquing them down and prefer to measure stretch.

Do yourself a favor and find a pdf or buy a dvd- there are a lot of number you will be needing- if you are truly in a rush- it will take much longer to post and wait for a reply about a torque number.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I found a killer write up on a forum on how to build a 5.4 from nothing on a forum a couple months ago, when I was replacing my head gaskets. It had pics, specs and everything. Wish I had a link to share but Im sure with some searching you could find it.

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
12,045 Posts
Everything, but what he was looking for....
I don't see the torque values for
Main bolts / studs
Side bolts
Rod bolts
Head bolts / studs

·
10 second street truck
11,823 Posts
Hey, i'm about to start putting my motor together, i've been searching forums for torque specs, i've found some links but they no longer work, several suggestions for chilton maual, but when i read the description for the books it states lightning model is excluded. Anyway i'm in need to specs for main and side bolt torque specs for an 02 lightning, as well as rod bolt torque, i am using 09 gt500 rods with a1 bolts, any help would be appreciated

These are from the ford assembly manual

Install the vertical main bearing cap fasteners and tighten in the sequence shown.
 Tighten to 40 Nm (30 lb-ft). 
  Tighten an additional 85-95 degrees.
Install the side bolts and tighten them in the sequence shown.
 Tighten to 30 Nm (22 lb-ft).
 Tighten an additional 85-95 degrees

The rod bolts, I don't want to quote because I don't know if its the same.
I'm not sure what an A1 rod bolt is?

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts