Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Snail Powered
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a miss in the #1 cylinder. I first pulled the plug and it looked very clean with a very slight brown hue, but the electrode was so clean it looked like it had just been pulled out of the box. The plug looked a little wet after the car had been ran so i figured the injector may be stuck open. I swapped injector with one out of a spare set i had and its still missing, changed plugs, and even swapped wires to different cylinder to see if it followed the wire but the miss still showed up in #1. Today i replaced the coil and its still missing. someone told me it was most likely the coil so i replaced it but it's still missing. Any ideas what else this could be?

·
Snail Powered
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i cant remember the code, but right next to it it said cylinder #1miss fire. it is a snap on scan tool. feels like a dead miss

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Plug didnt look like it had carbon tracing/tracking did it? should try and get the code for me, did it have any other codes in it ( pending/history ) ?

Just to make sure im reading this right.
-There is brand new plugs gapped accordingly currently in car?
-You have switched an injector with known good one?
-You have switch wire with known good wire?
-There is a brand new coilpack on the effect bank?

Just want to make sure we are on the same page.

·
Snail Powered
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Plug didnt look like it had carbon tracing/tracking did it? should try and get the code for me, did it have any other codes in it ( pending/history ) ?

Just to make sure im reading this right.
-There is brand new plugs gapped accordingly currently in car?
-You have switched an injector with known good one?
-You have switch wire with known good wire?
-There is a brand new coilpack on the effect bank?

Just want to make sure we are on the same page.
yes you are correct, and the plug had no carbon on it at all.

trigger on the cam or crank?
Or mechanical..valve, spring, seat
how would i know if its the trigger?

·
Guilty by Association
19,345 Posts
I don't know how its triggered, crank sensor or cam sensor, but if one or more of the teeth are shot it won't shoot fire on that cylinder. Sorry I kind of came in half c.ock.ed, just offering suggestion

·
THE PROPER WAY TO POWDER THAT ASS
7,531 Posts
Sounds like it told you the wrong cyl. Try checking the others. If its dead missing you can have someone lightly power brake it while you discon coils. If you unplug one and no change then thats the one. Thats the shade tree way anyway. ;)

btw has any work been done to the car lately?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Sounds like it told you the wrong cyl. Try checking the others. If its dead missing you can have someone lightly power brake it while you discon coils. If you unplug one and no change then thats the one. Thats the shade tree way anyway. ;)

Yea thats another way to do it. [smilie=om And x2 on any repair lately?

·
Snail Powered
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright good. Do you have access to that scan tool now?
no its at the shop. i will have access to it tomorrow morning

That's the wierd thing. the first thing i did when it started on friday was unplug all the wires individually and the idle changed for every wire. but you can hear and feel the miss at idle and under load.

nothing has been done to the car since the beginning of summer. The turbo build on the truck took priority. but once i get the tranny back in the truck is pretty much done as far as big spending goes. so i'm forming a game plan for the car as we speak.

I'm sure you read 5.0 Magazine. Sharad Raldiris is doing the build and writing the articles for the Project Shocker car and he lives here in town. He is a really great guy and has a true passion for fox bodies and performance cars in general. he is helping me kinda layout everything i need to meet my goals and do it for a reasonable price. the current plan is either a boss 302 or dart block, 331 or 347 with heads and mild cam and most likely an intercooled procharger. shooting for a consistent bracket racer on 10.50 slicks in the 6.50 range in the 1/8th so i can also run a 6.50 index class. also wanna be able to swap over to a 275 and run true street in nmra when they come to town.

·
Snail Powered
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^^ my bad stick, i was thinking you were talking about my hatch, lol i'm tired. but no nothing has been done to the cobra since the plug change about 4 months ago

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Alright, well... let me know with what you pull for a code with the scan tool, do you have access to a misfire monitor like the GM's have for scan data? If not there is a way to get to one on fords through mode6

·
Snail Powered
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright, well... let me know with what you pull for a code with the scan tool, do you have access to a misfire monitor like the GM's have for scan data? If not there is a way to get to one on fords through mode6
i believe the snap on tool has a missfire monitor, i will look tomorrow

·
THE PROPER WAY TO POWDER THAT ASS
7,531 Posts
Yeah I am pretty sure the modis has a missfire tool. ALso do you have a noid light banks? Could be that inj not firing interm. Or it could be a bad connection in the ign harness. Could be a ton of things really from a messed up egr to a headgasket. Hard to say from here not having driven the car. Is the miss a dead cylinder miss? or does it just feel like its herky jerky? Sometimes when you get flustered it helps to just go back to the basics fuel,spark,compression. Just like you have done. But you may end up needing to comp test that cyl. Usually a 3xx code is set by fuel or ign miss in my experience though. Good luck bud. I am sure you will get it. Your turinging into quiet the tech lately. :)

oh and I understand about the misunderstanding. LOL Good to hear an update about he the fox none the less. haha

·
Snail Powered
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I am pretty sure the modis has a missfire tool. ALso do you have a noid light banks? Could be that inj not firing interm. Or it could be a bad connection in the ign harness. Could be a ton of things really from a messed up egr to a headgasket. Hard to say from here not having driven the car. Is the miss a dead cylinder miss? or does it just feel like its herky jerky? Sometimes when you get flustered it helps to just go back to the basics fuel,spark,compression. Just like you have done. But you may end up needing to comp test that cyl. Usually a 3xx code is set by fuel or ign miss in my experience though. Good luck bud. I am sure you will get it. Your turinging into quiet the tech lately. :)

oh and I understand about the misunderstanding. LOL Good to hear an update about he the fox none the less. haha
i do not have a noid light, but can i make one using a test light and just connecting the positive and negative terminals in the harness? I'm going to try and to a comp test today as well and get the actual code number. pretty sure its a dead miss. its not random spurts, its pretty consistent. I have no choice lately but to the tech in these situations. Between figuring things out on my truck my buddy's fox bodies and now this i guess there is no getting around it. I refuse to take stuff to a mechanic because you never get what you pay for. but since this is my parents car and i'm just driving it while i wait on my transmission, it may end up going to ford so they can pay for it, but that puts me without a vehicle so i'm trying to avoid that.

·
Snail Powered
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well i after clearing the codes yesterdsay, the one that came back was p0303 miss in the #3 cylinder. This is the cylinder i moved the #1 wire to to see if the code would follow and it appears that it did although i did do some other stuff before i checked the codes. I used a noid light on all 8 injector harness and they were good. also did a comp check on cylinders 1-4 and that was good as well. didn't have time to do a leak down on those. I inspected the #1 wire boot and there looked to be some burn marks where the rubber slips over the plastic. I'm wondering if spark is jumping through the boot and grounding out.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
well i after clearing the codes yesterdsay, the one that came back was p0303 miss in the #3 cylinder. This is the cylinder i moved the #1 wire to to see if the code would follow and it appears that it did although i did do some other stuff before i checked the codes. I used a noid light on all 8 injector harness and they were good. also did a comp check on cylinders 1-4 and that was good as well. didn't have time to do a leak down on those. I inspected the #1 wire boot and there looked to be some burn marks where the rubber slips over the plastic. I'm wondering if spark is jumping through the boot and grounding out.

You could spray the wire down with water at see if the spark jumps to ground or take a test light and ground it and run the other end over the wire. see if spark jumps to it. If it were me id put a set of wires on.

stickbo said:
Yeah I am pretty sure the modis has a missfire tool. ALso do you have a noid light banks? Could be that inj not firing interm. Or it could be a bad connection in the ign harness. Could be a ton of things really from a messed up egr to a headgasket. Hard to say from here not having driven the car. Is the miss a dead cylinder miss? or does it just feel like its herky jerky? Sometimes when you get flustered it helps to just go back to the basics fuel,spark,compression. Just like you have done. But you may end up needing to comp test that cyl. Usually a 3xx code is set by fuel or ign miss in my experience though.
Im pretty sure the modis does have a missfire tool to it. I have a solus pro here at the shop and we dont have any current updates so i have to use mode6 to see them. not a real big deal. I couldnt see it being EGR related as it would effect all cyl. and not just one. Your right on the p03xx codes being set by fuel/ign items :bigtu

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
6 Participants
Chris
Lightning Rodder
Join our Lightning Rodder community to discuss the supercharged Ford F150 SVT and Harley Davidson edition pickup.
Full Forum Listing