Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum and I need some help. I have a 2001 lightning that my mechanic says needs a new PCM. As you know they are not available. Is there any place out ther that I can find one or have mine rebuilt. I would appreciate any help that you might have.

Thanks

·
Registered
697 Posts
Look on EBAY. There is a guy that supposedly repairs them.

Miz

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
What specifically is wrong with your PCM? They don't fail often. Is he SURE it is bad or assuming it is?

Car-part.com or uneedapart.com are your best bet at finding a used PCM. I scored two 03 pcm's from I need a part.com

SIA electronics in Illinois is who I send my pcm's to for repair services.

Any 99-04 PCM will work. Currently running an 03 PCM with an 01 harness. Moved one wire on the PCM harness and all is good.

Good luck with your hunt!

Here ya go...
http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302986#/forumsite/20732/topics/302986

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
He did a complete test of the harness and of the control module in the tranny. All of the ohm specs are good until hooks it back to the PCM then the values go bad. I believe he has done everything possible to pin it down. It was kicking a P1747 and a P1760 and running horribly and shifting hard.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
^^^^^ Good, honest seller - have bought from JD before.

Bird

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Old Guys Rule
74 Posts
I'm not sure you can determine a PCM to be bad with an ohm meter test....the readings are supposed to change when you plug the PCM electronics back into the harness.

Not knowing how the truck is modded makes it a bit difficult as well.

I would start by reloading a factory tune and see how it idles and runs gently...if any of the issues clear up like it throwing codes or running badly.

It could be simply a sensor or a corrupt program load in the PCM.

Give us more background on the truck...

Cecil

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not sure you can determine a PCM to be bad with an ohm meter test....the readings are supposed to change when you plug the PCM electronics back into the harness.

Not knowing how the truck is modded makes it a bit difficult as well.

I would start by reloading a factory tune and see how it idles and runs gently...if any of the issues clear up like it throwing codes or running badly.

It could be simply a sensor or a corrupt program load in the PCM.

Give us more background on the truck...

Cecil
Here is how the truck sits:
Airaid cold air kit, metco 4 lb lower pulley, TR6 plugs, Diablosport 91 octane pulley tune. 90,000 miles. I put the factory tune back on it and ther was no change in how it ran. Diablosport tune has been on the truck for about 3 years with no issues.

·
Registered
108 Posts
What specifically is wrong with your PCM? They don't fail often. Is he SURE it is bad or assuming it is?

Car-part.com or uneedapart.com are your best bet at finding a used PCM. I scored two 03 pcm's from I need a part.com

SIA electronics in Illinois is who I send my pcm's to for repair services.

Any 99-04 PCM will work. Currently running an 03 PCM with an 01 harness. Moved one wire on the PCM harness and all is good.

Good luck with your hunt!

Here ya go...
Ford Lightning ECU PCM ECM engine computer interchange chart
Dude! This post is old! I'm in Milwaukee! One power wire fell out of the back of the cd player of my 03. Blew about 8ish fuses? I used to get robbed all the time or broke 13 yr old gear! But was horrified to see my harness butchered to fire hazard levels. Jeff W helped me get a 2002 harness. Electrical gremlins out the ass.
Lesson to all dont be lazy disconnect the capacitor (even a dinky 1F one). It was holding full power even though I hate it. That was the biggest they had up north.
I need help anyone that can help undo the dash seats whole bit. It will work again. And I'm going to push the Hell out of it with new amps, cap, redesigned speaker box.
As far as cracking boxes/amps/computers open I'm pretty damn decent. Both of my amps got melted different times when a major wire slipped out. They still work! For real I am worried about an electrical fire. Trying to pull out the super melted relay out. That bitch is practically welded to the fuse/relay box.
Y'all please help. If left to my own devices enough I might cause horrendous damage. Took time off work. I don't give up and leave it like a normal person. Thought of looking for a master car electronics person locally to help but don't trust ppl here. I want a Ford person. Anyways. Happy 2021!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts